Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fhhuber, I understand what you are saying. It makes it much more simple for the new comer to just concentrate on learning the basics of flying.

I dont regret it to have learned glow and balsa, and I have always been a nitro head since the beginning of this rc expenditure years ago. Do have a few 5th scale rigs on 25:1 gas 30.5cc, and always fall back to nitro. To me true classic rc flying must have a flow engine, at least one airplane.

This is very true, one can be flying for years on electric and when doing the leap to glow, they are in for a surprise as the airplane carries much more momentum and there is none of that slow stall charasteristics of foamies. The good thing about glow is one can fly in almost any wind condition as to clock in more stick time. Many times the foamie guys pack their stuff and head home while I am flying on high wind w no problem. Those who attempt to fly, its a handful as soon as that foamie its on the air, becomes basically a fight w the wind, making corrections at all times. Yes, one can slap a gyro, but still its not the same.
    Balsa/ glow airplanes track and penetrate easier and more realistic than foam.

On the get go, yes, get a EPO or EPP whatever they call it, and focus on flying and maybe later glow. It has its benefits, in a way easier to fly and repair in case of a crash, some hot glue and duct tape, and possibly a good hot bath and back to the field. I even have one of those HK battery operated glue guns in my toolbox, lol, for my more avid foamie flying days...

Comment

Originally posted by BluesDragon View Post
      Yeah, I'm one of those noob's myself. Been RC'ing for a long time... at ground level. Although I have always had a fascination with flight. So I bought a drone a while back that helped build my confidence in the air. Not to mention I've been a gamer for life. So I've always had one type of stick controller in my hands at one time or another. Was even big into the MS Flight Sim years ago... as well as the WWII Flight Sim. Loved flying those P-51s! Only difference being these Sims where flown with a joy stick. So anyhow, since joining the local fly club for a safe place to fly my drone, I started getting that itch for the fix wings again. My love for the Warbirds sent me right to the Dynam F4U Corsair (1270mm). Just finished the build a couple days ago. She is just too sexy! Just been running 'er up and down the road in front of my house getting a feel for the controls and the power. Even with what confidence I have in my 50(+) years of playing I feel I can take to the air, but getting back down and keeping 'er sexy... yeah, not so confident. So today I purchased the Mini Apprentice S (with SAFE tech). Until I'm feeling confident getting her down safely, well, as Grossman56 so eloquently put it.. the F4U Corsair will grace my shop.. with her sexiness. ;)
      :Sweating:So, haven't been getting much stick time with some gusty winds keeping me grounded. Today, though, wasn't too bad. So I took to the air, grabbed a hold of my sac, and tossed 'er into Experience mode! Surprised to find I actually felt in better control in full on go for it mode. Pressed my luck and tossed a few barrel rolls and a loop or two in the mix. Got 'er back down in one piece even! :)

Still not feeling confident enough to put the Corsair up, but beginning to feel that itch... :Smug:
      Last edited by BluesDragon; Apr 1st, 2018, 02:10 PM. Reason: Noobie ignorance fix
      DJI Mavic: Lil' Dragon Dynam Corsair: Whistler's Brother
      EFlite PT-17: Woodstock PT-19: Sloopy P-51: JuneBug

Comment

Let go of your SACKLOLLOL
        Couldn't resist....
        Take your time, I was right where you guys are in 2104 and I know exactly how you feel, fly the pants off her. Fly in the wind as well, a bit of breeze is fun when you have the confidence. That's one of the reason I keep the Pandoras, they're great wind planes, turn them into the wind and hover!!

Grossman56
        Team Gross!

Comment

It's all good, the wife has 'em back now. She just let me have 'em long enough to switch into mode 3. LOL

So then, after feeling pretty good and recharging the batteries, I went back out and ran through another battery in
          experience mode (3). Second battery, not so good. Coming out of a loop, way too low to the ground, I nosed 'er
          into the cotton field. Freshly plowed and soft, but still took out the prop, cowl, and motor mount. Seen it coming
          and started to hit the 'panic' button, but figured it's too late for that now. Lesson learned. So now I gotta wait for
          the guys at MRC to get some more fresh parts to my door before getting more stick time in.

Comment

As I've said before, you learn to be a mechanic long before you learn to be a pilot!!

Grossman56
            Team Gross!

Comment

Yes indeed the good things about crashing is you do learn the ins and outs of your plane. How it goes together and comes apart.

Comment

It's all good, the wife has 'em back now. She just let me have 'em long enough to switch into mode 3. LOL

So then, after feeling pretty good and recharging the batteries, I went back out and ran through another battery in
                experience mode (3). Second battery, not so good. Coming out of a loop, way too low to the ground, I nosed 'er
                into the cotton field. Freshly plowed and soft, but still took out the prop, cowl, and motor mount. Seen it coming
                and started to hit the 'panic' button, but figured it's too late for that now. Lesson learned. So now I gotta wait for
                the guys at MRC to get some more fresh parts to my door before getting more stick time in.
                Start 3 mistakes high and recover no later than 1.

I'm flying my Carbon Cub in mode 3 nearly all the time now and find myself getting a little lower than I like accidentally from a poor execution of a maneuver. Also I found that some of the SAFE features were actually getting in the way of what I call 'real pilot' flight technique. I have 5 other aircraft that I also fly, but just started again in January, after 25 years doing other meaningless forms of entertainment. Spent most of last year converting some gassers to electric, flying a simulator and learning all the new technology. Soloed on my second trip to the club. And, today helped an 8 year old solo his prized Carbon Cub which is nearly identical to mine. He took off flew around in the pattern for 6 minutes and landed all by himself with some coaching.
                Gosh this stuff is fun, but don't forget some simple stuff - which I also do before every flight in full size aircraft also.

You will make mistakes.
                Always leave yourself an 'out'.
                Fly it all the way to a stop.
                Always check evything before taking the runway.
                Take offs are optional - landings are mandatory.
                If you are being hurried, step back.

see ya round, Blues' and all you other low time flyers. Once you solo, you're a pilot.

Comment

Yup, I accidentally bellied my carbon z T28 trying a super slow super low pass. Just got alittle too daring and said nope as the tail tapped the grass and that was enough drag to knock me out of the air, cut throttle and let her set down to no damage belly landing. So indeed no worries, we all have those moments. :) the other time was in fpv I was inverted flying full throttle and touched the tail of my flying wing, popped the prop and dug the carbon frame into the dirt alittle, but a new prop and she was good as new. Made that mistake at 98mph lol oops

Comment

Yeah, I'm one of those noob's myself. Been RC'ing for a long time... at ground level. Although I have always had a fascination with flight. So I bought a drone a while back that helped build my confidence in the air. Not to mention I've been a gamer for life. So I've always had one type of stick controller in my hands at one time or another. Was even big into the MS Flight Sim years ago... as well as the WWII Flight Sim. Loved flying those P-51s! Only difference being these Sims where flown with a joy stick. So anyhow, since joining the local fly club for a safe place to fly my drone, I started getting that itch for the fix wings again. My love for the Warbirds sent me right to the Dynam F4U Corsair (1270mm). Just finished the build a couple days ago. She is just too sexy! Just been running 'er up and down the road in front of my house getting a feel for the controls and the power. Even with what confidence I have in my 50(+) years of playing I feel I can take to the air, but getting back down and keeping 'er sexy... yeah, not so confident. So today I purchased the Mini Apprentice S (with SAFE tech). Until I'm feeling confident getting her down safely, well, as Grossman56 so eloquently put it.. the F4U Corsair will grace my shop.. with her sexiness. ;)
                    Almost a whole year to date later, I maidened Whistler's Brother today!! Thank you to all that got me on the right track from the beginning. After some time on the trainer I jumped over to the P-17 as my go to flyer. Been doing pretty good and the pilots I've met down at the park I fly with have been very helpful as well. So today I got up enough confidence to put him to the sky! I ain't gonna lie.. I buddy boxed to a very skilled flyer and he did save my bird on at least two occasions. Mainly due to my nerves, but was very happy and grateful to have him connected. Otherwise she flew pretty nice. A little under powered.. from what my buddy boxer was saying. He trimmed it up for me and I took over. Flew two batteries.. counted my blessings... and brought him back to the hanger for another day. :)

Comment

Oh yeah!
                      Now you’re flying Warbirds officially.

Comment

Way to go BD!!
                        I did the same when I first flew my P-51B, which was the first Warbird ever (BBD was next after I got Home from Dave Scott's classes)
                        2015 was a very good year!
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3327.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	178301
                        Here she is passing over us

Name:	IMG_3346.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	178302

Dave and I walking her in

Name:	IMG_3348.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	178303
                        Dan with a cheezy grin after his first warbird flight!

So, you see, we've all been there!!

Congrats once more!

Grossman56
                        Team Gross!

Comment

I didn't think to get the 'cheezy grin' mug shot! You can believe it was there for hours after though. :)

Comment

Originally posted by F22trainer View Post
                            Oh yeah!
                            Now you’re flying Warbirds officially.
                            <--- oh yeah... changed it from wannabe to Trainee now! :Cool:

Comment

The cheezy grin pic is a must and lets face it, every one who finally gets to that stage of flying ability really has accomplished something!!
                              My respects to everyone who perseveres and gets to fly what they initially dreamed of.

Grossman56
                              Team Gross!

Comment

Congrats BD! You are a Club Member now! Happy Landings!
                                My YouTube RC videos:
                                https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDZ..._bdGEJBmtV7YUw

Comment

Thanks Aros! Every successful landing is a very happy one indeed...

Comment

Almost a whole year to date later, I maidened Whistler's Brother today!! Thank you to all that got me on the right track from the beginning.

Congrats BD, Glad to see you made the jump. Also glad you took the time to actually earn that 'cheesy grin', instead of a painful frown. Continue with more good flights ...
                                    Straighten Up - Fly Right

Comment

Good deal on your first successful flights.

One thing, yes another one, I would like to add.

Fly about three mistakes high and then let the plane stall, go full up on elevator, kill power and roll it, and then try to recover it.

Many pilots crash because although they got the flying good, many dont practice when they are in trouble. The purpose is to lose orientation and get use to not panic and recover. At the beginning if needed bodybox and as you get comfortable, try on your own.

This way panic still be there, but it wont be a shock. Similar how real pilots, boat captains practice, of most possible scenarios.

Comment

Originally posted by crankestein View Post
                                        Good deal on your first successful flights.

One thing, yes another one, I would like to add.

Fly about three mistakes high and then let the plane stall, go full up on elevator, kill power and roll it, and then try to recover it.

Many pilots crash because although they got the flying good, many dont practice when they are in trouble. The purpose is to lose orientation and get use to not panic and recover. At the beginning if needed bodybox and as you get comfortable, try on your own.

This way panic still be there, but it wont be a shock. Similar how real pilots, boat captains practice, of most possible scenarios.
                                        Stamp of approval from the CFI.:Cool:

Comment

Thanks C... As the panic does attack me even with a little tip stall here and there, this is excellent advice going forward. I have been noticing this same practice in other pilots at the field/park. It's definitely time to step up the game. I am able to sneak in more stick time throughout the week, when Mother Nature allows. Although, like Foreigner sang all those years ago.. 'It's feels like the first time' every time I launch.

Comment

Working...
                                          X