Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I flew as a Flight Engineer on the U.S. Navy Lockheed P-3 Orion. I would love to build one of those and fly it. It is a similar plane the Connie.

Comment

An Orion is a nice airframe and being ex Navy myself I would certainly not turn it away if it was bestowed upon me as a nice add to my fleet but it's only similarity(airframe not avionics) to the Connie is four engines. The distinctive triple tail is a hallmark of the Connie plus it's span was 25% bigger than the Orion. Fortunately for us military model buffs there were several variant designations(L-1249 and C-121 plus a couple more) of the Connie used by both the Navy and Air Force with the coolest in my perspective being the ones with wing tip tanks. We can only wish..........:rolleyes:
      Warbird Charlie
      HSD Skyraider; FlightLine: Sea Fury; FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, 1700 F4U and a Fox glider; Freewing: A-6, P-51; VQ: P-39; Dynam: ME-262, FW-190, Waco; ASM A-26; ESM F7F-3; LX PBJ-1
      Incinerator Loss 16

Comment

I can still remember going along as my mom was taking my grampa to the airport and he got on a Connie and we waited and watched it take off. I was maybe 5 or 6 but I can still see that triple tail heading into the sunset............

Comment

I myself would LOVE a Connie. Retracts, flaps the whole enchilada!

My co-workers father worked on them for Northwest and said they were beautiful birds but a huge PIA to work on!

Motion RC PLEASE PRETTY PLEASE! :)

Comment

That would be really cool.

Mike
            Attached Files
            \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

Speaking of Connies, one of the guys had his at the field a few weeks ago...
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4420.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	204062
              Its not very large and as you can see, its basically a balsa covered construction. Very light but it flies very well and looks so cool in the air...

Name:	IMG_4424.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	204063Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4425.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	204064

Grossman56
              Team Gross!

Comment

Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                Speaking of Connies, one of the guys had his at the field a few weeks ago...
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4420.JPG Views:	0 Size:	166.4 KB ID:	204062
                Its not very large and as you can see, its basically a balsa covered construction. Very light but it flies very well and looks so cool in the air...
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4424.JPG Views:	0 Size:	99.1 KB ID:	204063Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4425.JPG Views:	0 Size:	106.9 KB ID:	204064

Grossman56
                That looks like one of Pat Tritles kits. He's a local flyer and it's a real treat when he brings a prototype to the field for testing.

Here is a photo of the prototype for his Connie

Comment

Originally posted by Rudderman98 View Post
                  I myself would LOVE a Connie. Retracts, flaps the whole enchilada!

My co-workers father worked on them for Northwest and said they were beautiful birds but a huge PIA to work on!

Motion RC PLEASE PRETTY PLEASE! :)
                  Ya know it says something when you see so many home build Lockheed Constellations in and around shows today. Everyone comes out to watch them fly, at shows and meetings. It's sad really. Sad fact is non of our dev's in this day and age quite have the will, competence and resources to successfully develop a plane like this. They're all running scared from this one like a banny rooster. First there is the very tall landing gear. Yes something like landing gear really does scare potential Dev's of this plane off. My goodness how could they possible make such tall landing gear work and work consistently?
                  I'll tell ya how? Just a little bit of competent engineering. That's all it takes, but apparently there are not any more of those left in the world. LOL

To top this off. it's also a four motor model. For motors, four ESC's, Special never before landing gear, and a brand new CNC designed foam air frame. Eh well lets just say probably not in my life time, maybe your's. So like some one said lately, it's time to home build, that is if ya want one of these.

For Dev's this plane is not for the light hearted, it's meant for the inspired driven professionals that feel an absolute need to make it happen. We have yet to have one, LOL.

Best Regards
                  Woody

PS Almost forgot, awesome pictures Gman! W

Comment

I have to agree, but has there ever been a more iconic four engine airliner? If there ever was a definition of luxury flying, it was the Connie, a perfect match between engineering and a work of art. Can't imagine anyone not turning their heads to watch if one flew over. I see they're restoring Columbine, too cool!

Name:	Connie-Columbine-II-Arrival-Bridgewater-VA-March-23-2016-clos-up-678x381-e1514480773133[1].jpg
Views:	27
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	204988

Grossman56
                    Team Gross!

Comment

Btw!

Name:	big columbine.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	204990

Nice huh!!

Grossman56
                      Team Gross!

Comment

Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                        Btw!
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	big columbine.JPG Views:	10 Size:	159.4 KB ID:	204990

Nice huh!!

Grossman56
                        Stunning, simply stunning. Is it just me, or did the nose gear get tweaked on that plane?

Best Regards
                        Woody

Comment

Working...
                        X