X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passenger Jets

What are people's thoughts on passenger jets / airliners? Boeing, Airbus, Embraer, Fokker, Lear, Gulf Stream, Honda, etc. Business jets like the G5, classics like the 727 or DC10, and modern jumbos like the 777 and A380. Seems like most of the jets we see at the airfield are the larger, custom built models. Give us your thoughts and interests in this category.

Mark

I've wanted an airliner for two years now. I am aware of supreme hobbies offering, a friend of mine has one of their jets and enjoys it. I would love to see a 727 or a DC-10. This could be done as a twin engine with the center engine being dummy.

Comment

Would love to have one !!! What scares me is the cost . There are many of the edf planes out now that are beyond budget .

Bryan
      But Crashing is Landing

Comment

As I mentioned in the Civilian Planes thread a Lear model 35 would be awesome! I've always thought a nicely detailed 737 would be fun to have. I've looked at build threads of the custom ones. But, I don't have the skills with foam builds yet.

Comment

Sorry Mark...................can't get too jazzed up about passenger airliners because realistically they would only be achievable to guys that are fortunate enough to fly off of concrete/asphalt strips whereas the majority of us are relegated to grass and you have probably read where even the 1200 size warbirds have difficulty with grass and thus my personal preference to a fleet of 1/8 scale. My Intruder's nose gear is barely able to manage the grass and we keep it pretty short at our club.
          Warbird Charlie
          HSD Skyraider; FlightLine: Sea Fury; FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, 1700 F4U & F7F and a Fox glider; Freewing: A-6, P-51; VQ: P-39; Dynam: ME-262, FW-190, Waco; ASM A-26; ESM F7F-3; LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post
            Sorry Mark...................can't get too jazzed up about passenger airliners because realistically they would only be achievable to guys that are fortunate enough to fly off of concrete/asphalt strips whereas the majority of us are relegated to grass and you have probably read where even the 1200 size warbirds have difficulty with grass and thus my personal preference to a fleet of 1/8 scale. My Intruder's nose gear is barely able to manage the grass and we keep it pretty short at our club.
            This is definitely a challenge with these especially if you want to keep it scale. You are probably right that most of these would need to be flown off of paved or textile runways, especially if we keep them smaller in size to fit various budgets. Either way, keep the ideas flowing, you never know what we can come up with.

Comment

I'd love some scale civilian jets such as a Learjet, Gulfstream, Citation X, Global Express, and new-age 737. I tend to want no more than two power systems for simplicity, cost, weight, and sound.

Seeing scale passenger jets at the field would be a sight to see and more than welcome to help break away from the "norm". Seeing some extremely well engineered passenger jets with leading edge slats (usually I don't care about this nor want it, but on passenger jets I would), lighting system, plastic passenger windows (instead of painted on like foam kits today), suspension struts, etc. would just set off the realism, especially during taxi and landings. Since these aren't fighter jets, I'm willing to sacrifice some performance to enhance the scale appearance of the model. I would even add some nice JP e-brakes to mine too.

Comment

Well, if you're gonna go with all that detail, T-CAT... I'd like them to have functional thrust reversers too. :)

Comment

I'm down with that :D. Some ESC's already have that functionality, let's get Freewing to talk Hobbywing into incorporating that feature into their ESC's :D.

Comment

Sounds good to me. :) What about mechanical ones driven by servos like the real thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Hippie 64 View Post
                      Would love to have one !!! What scares me is the cost . There are many of the edf planes out now that are beyond budget .

Bryan
                      They don't have to be expensive ............... https://www.motionrc.com/collections...mm-edf-jet-pnp
                      I think a civilian EDF can be made far cheaper than a military one. With military, people demand scale detail. With civilian ones, maybe not so much. Personally, I don't get too excited over model civilian jets. They tend to have weak retracts (even weaker than military craft). This would necessitate a smooth, prepared runway, which not everyone has access to. A lumpy, bumpy, rough runway would rip those things out before it gets off the ground.

Comment

I would be happy to see some civilian jets, especially a 747. Would certainly be an impressive sight to see in the pattern! And would present ample modding opportunities (Shuttle Carrier, Airborne Laser, Air Force One). A 707 would be cool and could also be made into a KC-135 with some work.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper2 View Post
                          They don't have to be expensive ............... https://www.motionrc.com/collections...mm-edf-jet-pnp
                          Don't let the price fool you, those little Dynam Turbojets are pretty good flying planes, and with a little ingenuity can be made to look rather attractive. Of course, I may be biased;-) I'd like a Lear about the same size or perhaps just a little larger.

Comment

Nice work WV. Can I make a plug for the Lear 35 again? ;)

Comment

I have a few jets and really enjoy them . But when they start getting into the $300 + range and another $60 + plus per battery they start climbing into a range that is more than I am willing to pay . They new jets are really nice and do nice things but I try to stay within a certain range of cost when I choose a new plane . I never buy a brand new to the market plane till I can read reviews and the do's and don'ts that come with them . Lipo cost are very high when they get to the 6s batteries for me . I try to stay with things that I can fly with the things I use the most 3s or 4s . I also do not have a hard surface to fly off of so I have to take this into consideration also . At the same time I think we these types of planes in the market because as much as I like the Warbirds the market is flooded with them
                              I have also had two of the Dynam Turbo Jets and like them but both folded up at the wings on first or second flights . The weak point is the gear area in the wings and no Spar .
                              Bryan
                              But Crashing is Landing

Comment

Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post
                                I would be happy to see some civilian jets, especially a 747. Would certainly be an impressive sight to see in the pattern! And would present ample modding opportunities (Shuttle Carrier, Airborne Laser, Air Force One). A 707 would be cool and could also be made into a KC-135 with some work.
                                I would love that being I was a KC-135 boomer for 23 years.

Comment

I didn't know that about you, Boomer108, but that's great! Thank you for your service! I have friends who flew booms with the 203rd at Hickam in the 90's. Good times.

Comment

I think the HONDA JET would make a good subject. There was a turbine one flying at FLORIDA JETS, or TOP GUN, I can't recall which. It was built by a Cape Coral modeler. The small size of the real aircraft would scale down to a good size model. The turbine version was a very good flyer.

Comment

The Honda Jet is a beautiful aircraft.

Comment

Originally posted by VOODOO View Post
                                        I think the HONDA JET would make a good subject. There was a turbine one flying at FLORIDA JETS, or TOP GUN, I can't recall which. It was built by a Cape Coral modeler. The small size of the real aircraft would scale down to a good size model. The turbine version was a very good flyer.
                                        I'd be in for one of those. However, a commercially made one would likely have problems. Honda isn't known to let their trademarks, logos, copyrights go for nothing.

Comment

Working...
                                        X