Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, that is a servo saver. Yes, it does take away from control as there are a pair of springs that transmit inputs to the push rod. For the nose gear, I am ok giving up a little steering response to take loading off the servo and the plastic pieces. I don't taxi the Cherokee, but rather walk it out to the runway, point it into the wind, lower the flaps, and start pouring on the throttle. The take-off distance is pretty short and I don't need a lot of steering input to keep it straight. I don't need much steering on landing either. Once she is down, I walk out to the runway to get her. Chances of finding a chipmunk hole, divot, or something else lurking in the grass is too much of a risk. I see the servo saver and metal gear servo as a belt and suspenders approach to protecting from another servo failure that leads to a crash. I wouldn't use the servo saver on any control surfaces. The nice thing with the servo saver is that if I decide it reduces the response of the nose wheel too much, I can compress the springs further or just remove it completely. I plan on only using them on nose gear applications where the rudder and landing gear on are on the same servo. No need on a tail dragger.

Comment

That's my plan with the servo savers also - strictly nose wheel steering.

BRGT, do you use half or full flaps for take-off? On my maiden flight with the Cherokee, I didn't use the flaps on take-off, but lowered them for landing.

I think next flight, I'm going to try a few passes over the runway with the flaps at full, half, and none, and see what kind of difference it makes in low-speed passes. I'm not sure if I'll get out to the field to fly tomorrow, or wait until Sunday. Tomorrow morning in the annual El Tour de Tucson, so we're going to have something like 10,000 bicyclists riding a circuitous route around the city, and I think the route crosses my path to the flying field. On El Tour day, local police take control of the intersections, and hold back automobile traffic for the bicycles. That isn't a complaint - I've ridden in El Tour a few times myself, and it's both a great ride, and a great boon to the community. When I'm not riding it, though, I avoid the route so as to reduce the traffic congestion, and save myself some time in the delays.

Comment

I use half flaps for take-off, half-flaps on landing if there is any wind, and full flaps if it is calm. I found that if there is any wind with full flaps that the plane hangs in the air in ground effect until it stalls and plops on the runway. I had one of those landings and decided I didn't like it. No damage or anything, but it looked terrible and could easily lead to a problem. I have also reduced the full flap throw on my second Cherokee. With full flaps, she will slow down to a crawl. I had tried to use half flaps on final approach until I was just about a few feet off the ground and then went to full flaps. With the 4 second deployment time, the plane touches down about the time the flaps are fully down. This slowed the plane for the last few feet, but still had enough airspeed to not worry about it getting hung up in ground effect.

Comment

Second flight today did reasonably well, other than I need to figure out why my rates switch on the transmitter doesn't change anything on the control. The Cherokee is so responsive, that I really need to use lower rates, at least until I'm a lot more familiar with it. The landing wasn't pretty, but any landing that doesn't cause any damage is okay.

Comment

I have 20% expo on the ailerons and 30% on the stabilator. Ailerons at 90% throw, elevator at 85%, rudder at 100% at 15% expo. I don't consider the Cherokee to be overly responsive with these settings, but rather it feels like a real Cherokee. Somewhat slow to respond and not twitchy at all. I fly the plane very scale with little stick inputs. For somebody watching, it is the most boring plane in the air at our club. No rolls, no loops, nothing that looks any different than what a real Cherokee would be doing. Just cruising around the sky.

Comment

I went back to the instruction manual and looked up how to program the dual rates, and set aileron, stabilator, and rudder at 60% for low rates. I may play around with the expo, based on your settings, and see how it goes.

Especially when learning a plane, boring is actually good. Flying it yesterday at full rates, my nerves were a bit frazzled by the time I landed. As I commented in the "What did you fly today?" topic, the flight was so twitchy that I half expected to see that my little pilot guy had hurled all over the cockpit!

Comment

Even after hundreds of flights, I like my boring flights around the field in my Cherokee. I just love the plane and really thinking of getting a second one in the spring. My current one is proving to be too nice to fly with the frequency that I want to fly it. The repaint is fragile and can easily crack if the foam below it is deformed or bumped. If I go with a second one, I will swap out the servos, add the servo saver to the nose gear, and just fly it every chance I get. I won't bother repainting or even attempting the clear coat the natural foam. Nothing but headaches and months of work if I do that again. Best to just fly it and love it.

Comment

i got my front strut pieces in from HH and installed... def coming to the field with me this afternoon.

Comment

I am going to wrap up my Cherokee this week and the weather looks good to at least get some photographs of it outside at the airport. Still not approved for flight ops yet and will probably wait until spring. Of course it has been dead calm while I am at work, but forecasted to be windy with scattered snow showers when I am off for the holiday.

Comment

I got one for the wife to train with today. I have the 1st gen DX7, and I got some (yes and no) answers on whether the rx would work properly with my tx. Well it binded ok, the surfaces go wiggle like they should (I have 2 other a3x planes) . So, 2 things so far-is there any indication when SAFE is activated such as the lights or the lights on the rx, or a beep? I have none. I did the toggle and assigned the 2 pos switch on the right. Or you fly it and find out? haha....The other thing is that my stabilator is mixed to the throttle????? I forget which way it goes but it goes from a little (1/16") up at low throttle, midway 1/2, and down the same amt at high throttle or vice-versa. Any one else got built in mixing like that? I do see a few elevator issues on the ol interweb.

Comment

Originally posted by rekit500 View Post
                        I got one for the wife to train with today. I have the 1st gen DX7, and I got some (yes and no) answers on whether the rx would work properly with my tx. Well it binded ok, the surfaces go wiggle like they should (I have 2 other a3x planes) . So, 2 things so far-is there any indication when SAFE is activated such as the lights or the lights on the rx, or a beep? I have none. I did the toggle and assigned the 2 pos switch on the right. Or you fly it and find out? haha....The other thing is that my stabilator is mixed to the throttle????? I forget which way it goes but it goes from a little (1/16") up at low throttle, midway 1/2, and down the same amt at high throttle or vice-versa. Any one else got built in mixing like that? I do see a few elevator issues on the ol interweb.
                        Sounds like you have SAFE active, turn the switch (SAFE) off and see if it is still mixed. Be sure to line up the elevator with the index mark on fuselage. I also had to adjust the nose wheel to center with the rudder. SAFE will also limit rudder for turning on the ground, I.e. really big turns with SAFE mode ON.

Comment

Just got my Cherokee yesterday! My Dad tought me to fly in a Cherokee 180 Archer, so the Cherokee has always had a special place in my heart! This model is absolutely gorgeous, I just wish they made an Archer version, but hey this is close enough. I think I may have Callie do up some graphics for N32258. My old trainer bird who made me a pilot. :)
                          Last edited by 727 Dude; Feb 6th, 2019, 02:30 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by 727 Dude View Post
                            Just got my Cherokee yesterday! My Dad tought me to fly in a Cherokee 180 Archer, so the Cherokee has always had a special place in my heart! This model is absolutely gorgeous, I just wish they made an Archer version, but hey this is close enough. I think I may have Callie do up some graphics for N32258. My old trainer bird who made me a pilot. :)
                            So where are u in AZ? I was thinking an Archer version would be real special - having about 2000 hours instructing at Deer Valley in them. The tapered wing is a great improvement on the full size and the way mine flys as is, it would be a home run on this model.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	59E1B131-BA63-4BCA-B81D-76316D85BFCF.jpeg
Views:	99
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	177215Click image for larger version

Name:	E2E7BC01-9BF3-403D-9D9B-67FAC82F3BB2.jpeg
Views:	99
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	177216Click image for larger version

Name:	7D7822EC-9BB6-419D-A3BE-A906880896B8.jpeg
Views:	97
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	177217 From my maiden.

Comment

The first pic of the touch down flare is sweet (flaps deployed on tarmac was the indicator for landing versus takeoff ;))
                                Warbird Charlie
                                HSD Skyraider; FlightLine: Sea Fury; FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, 1700 F4U and a Fox glider; Freewing: A-6, P-51; VQ: P-39; Dynam: ME-262, FW-190, Waco; ASM A-26; ESM F7F-3; LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	3D8BF988-F799-4FB9-8760-119879E5973B.jpeg
Views:	101
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	177235
                                  Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                                  The first pic of the touch down flare is sweet (flaps deployed on tarmac was the indicator for landing versus takeoff ;))
                                  THANX OV10!

Another picture from the maiden flight, right before take off.
                                  I never takeoff with full flaps as full size almost never do either - too much drag vs lift, and I prefer scale flying. I’ll pass along the compliment on the picture, and am waiting to see video from same photographer. I should try one click on the flaps as she does take a lot of runway.
                                  I set it up as per manual, took off with low rates and SAFE mode ON. She trimmed with just a few clicks of down elevator and flew hands off less than 30 seconds after takeoff. Turned it to low rates and turned off SAFE - nothing changed- so gentle to respond...and a minute later went to high rates.
                                  Now that is more like it. Flew very nice and scale with plenty of response. Finished the flight and landed with SAFE on, had to do a go-around on first attempt but that was the maiden landing you see pictured. Next landing was with partial flaps and no SAFE mode. Lined it up on final and set it to a bit less than 1/4 throttle and it just settles n a nice descent with about 3 clicks of down trim and a slightly nose high attitude. Don’t even need to flare - it just lands on the mains.
                                  last weekend we had gray skies and the lights were a super addition to have as the sun tried to rise but left the overcast.
                                  Yeah, she’s a pussycat but a lot of fun. I do prefer the high rates for scale flying. She handles so nice I don’t even use the SAFE mode very much but is nice when I need to swat a bug glance away for a moment fo traffic scan.

Comment

Originally posted by F22trainer View Post

So where are u in AZ? I was thinking an Archer version would be real special - having about 2000 hours instructing at Deer Valley in them. The tapered wing is a great improvement on the full size and the way mine flys as is, it would be a home run on this model.
                                    Hey F22! I'm up in Prescott. I see you are in Sun City. Must be pretty nice flying wx there right now. 19F degrees here as I type this. Had a little snow today too, but not enough to stick really. Brrrrrr! I instructed mostly in 172's but also Cherokees (180, 140, Arrow). My flight training up through my commercial and instrument was all in the Cherokee Archer, and Arrow for the complex. Still prefer the low-wing to the high-wing. I also hardly ever used flaps for takeoff, and if at all it was only 1 notch.

Pretty cold and windy up here, but hoping for a break in the WX conditions for a maiden flight sometime soon.

All the best!

Comment

Hey 727, are you flying over at Casa De Aero? Went to college in Prescott at Embry Riddle for 4 years, and loved flying there!

Comment

Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post
                                        Hey 727, are you flying over at Casa De Aero? Went to college in Prescott at Embry Riddle for 4 years, and loved flying there!
                                        Hey F106! A fellow Eagle! I went to Riddle too. Graduated in '86. Air Sci. I was flying over at Casa de Aero, but I need to re-up my membership. Thinking of joining the club over in Chino Valley. Paved strip! Niiiice! I live alot closer to Riddle, but that paved strip in Chino......tempting! :Cool:

Comment

Originally posted by 727 Dude View Post

Hey F22! I'm up in Prescott. I see you are in Sun City. Must be pretty nice flying wx there right now. 19F degrees here as I type this. Had a little snow today too, but not enough to stick really. Brrrrrr! I instructed mostly in 172's but also Cherokees (180, 140, Arrow). My flight training up through my commercial and instrument was all in the Cherokee Archer, and Arrow for the complex. Still prefer the low-wing to the high-wing. I also hardly ever used flaps for takeoff, and if at all it was only 1 notch.

Pretty cold and windy up here, but hoping for a break in the WX conditions for a maiden flight sometime soon.

All the best!
                                          Cold and windy here too. Sounds like we have chewed the same dirt through flight training and instruction. I know we visit Prescott for a few events and you would be welcome in N. Phoenix anytime. See ya ‘round the patch.

Comment

Working...
                                          X