Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are these nose gear issues of which you speak... :)Click image for larger version  Name:	DECD8CCB-C94F-4CA5-AECC-E395D4EDFB91.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	134.5 KB ID:	195914

Comment

• Originally posted by F22trainer View Post
      What are these nose gear issues of which you speak... :)
      You guys with paved runways are so lucky (and spoiled). Throw in a few potholes and now you're doing the slam dance.

Comment

• Slick landing shot!

​​​​​Not a pothole or gopher hole in sight, lucky goose.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
          You guys with paved runways are so lucky (and spoiled). Throw in a few potholes and now you're doing the slam dance.
          You are absolutely correct, sirs! We used to have a grass infield - now it is just hard dirt and rocks. Kinda fun with the right airplane like a Carbon Cub or Timber. I actually have more landings in the dirt with the Ryan than on pavement.
          Anyone visiting Phoenix will be welcome to fly with an AMA card, c’mon down!

Comment

• Granted, during the summer in the Valley of the Sun, that asphalt will get hot enough to melt your wheels, but no potholes! :Sweating:

Comment

• I see a paved runway as a double edge sword, while wonderful for the planes I do have, the paved runway would remove limitations on the planes I can buy. Having a grass runway helps keep me from buying EDF's or a lot of other planes.

The picture of the Cherokee touching down on the mains with the flaps down is just outstanding!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill Wakeley Jr. View Post
                (Sometimes I really need to read THE WHOLE post) Cant wait for the pics.....:Ligthbulb::Loser:
                I will get some pictures tonight for you. I looked through my pictures and don't have any of the servo saver installed. Both of my Cherokees are on the bench getting ready to fly, so getting pictures will be easy.

Comment

• Hi everyone! Hey, about the servo savers. I'm assuming it goes on the servo arm side controlling the rudder and not the side controlling the front gear..., yah? Heavy duty springs for grass runways?? (no brainer really) I'm new to this site and I want to thank everyone for putting up with me. I'm actually very quiet unless you get me talkin about flying or horses. ( had a visual on a Pegasus last night...he flew off before I could get him in the trailer) Thanks again.;)

Comment

• The Servo Saver goes on the rod itself for the steering. Rather than clamping the rod to the servo control arm, it utilizes two springs and two collars to create a "shock absorber," if you will, on the steering linkage. If something hits the front wheel and causes it to jerk to the side, the springs absorb the impact, rather than it potentially damaging your servo or your steering linkage on the landing gear. It's an elegant, low-tech solution (hence, the corresponding low price). Under normal operation, the tension of the springs keeps the nose wheel steering the way it should.

Comment

• Here's a photo of the servo saver installed in my Cherokee. The pushrod on the right side of the servo in the image goes back to the rudder, while the one on the left side goes forward to the nose wheel.

Comment

• Mine looks like Hoomi's, except mounted on an EMax servo. I snagged the pictures last night, but Flickr is down for an upgrade so I cant access the picture to post it. I have not flown or taxied in the grass yet with it installed, but have taxied around the driveway. I haven't noticed any loss of steering control with it installed. I do very little field taxiing anyway, so I don't expect any issues with using the servo-saver.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hoomi View Post
                          Here's a photo of the servo saver installed in my Cherokee. The pushrod on the right side of the servo in the image goes back to the rudder, while the one on the left side goes forward to the nose wheel.
                          Thanks a million for the pic....sorted it out for me.

Comment

• I haven't flown my Cherokee since I installed the servo saver. It seems to me it will make using the rudder kind of like having mega exponential on it. Yah?

Comment

• The rudder isn't affected, only the front gear is. The connection for the rudder remains the same as it is from the factory. Doing taxi tests around the driveway, I don't see any reduction in steering response. That might change on the grass, but I rarely taxi very far on the grass. I walk the plane out to the runway, point her into the wind, and use very little rudder or steering on take-off. You should see zero change on the rudder with the servo saver installed, unless you put it on the rudder push rod instead of the front gear steering rod.

Comment

• Finally got my Cherokees together and out of the garage for the first time this year. The red and white one is Cherokee #3 and has the new placards and vent decals from Callie Graphics. Her kit includes more decals than I could determine where they go. Other modifications include EMax servos, front gear servo-saver, sandpaper wing walkway, FMS antenna, Cirrus foot step, and a coat of high gloss spar varathane.

E-Flite Cherokee BNF Basic by Bryan Redeker, on Flickr

Comment

• The footstep and sandpaper wingwalks really add a lot to my eyes. Callie's graphic set also pulls everything together, well done!

Comment

• Thanks Alpha. The sandpaper really makes a big difference. You don't realize how much the sandpaper improves the plane until you do it. Callie really nailed the graphics for both of my Cherokees. Now I just need the weather to let me get these in the air! It has been raining so much, I can use my float planes and RC boat on the runway.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill Wakeley Jr. View Post
                                      I haven't flown my Cherokee since I installed the servo saver. It seems to me it will make using the rudder kind of like having mega exponential on it. Yah?
                                      What BRGT350 said. Also, take a look at the picture posted by Hoomi (post #110). It explains all.

Comment

• Hello everyone. I'm having a hell of a time getting any sort of a Velcro system to hold the battery tray in my Cherokee. I think the Velcro straps that come in the plane are simply too weak to hold down a battery, especially a 4 cell and I don't have know if the tray is supposed to come out or not. I tried epoxy to hold the tray in but the first time I tightened up the Velcro straps the tray came out in my hand. Is there a trick to this? Anyone having the same trouble? I'm not flying her til I get this figured out. One roll and the battery could be loose in the fuselage, running amok, sending one of my favorite planes plummeting to its demise. Please help as I'm really stuck with this sticky situation (puns intended).

Comment

• I don't think it's a design flaw, as even after my Cherokee nosed in, the battery tray was still in place. Major damage all over the rest of the plane, but the battery tray was still attached.

Comment

Working...
                                          X