X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Dynam 1280mm Grand Cruiser Thread

Motion RC is pleased to announce the release of the Dynam 1280mm Grand Cruiser. This is the official message thread to post photos, videos, flight reviews and any questions about this civil aircraft.
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDZ..._bdGEJBmtV7YUw

Hey does anybody have this plane ? I really like the looks of this plane but was wondering how well its built . Also are wheels big enough for grass ? MRC I know you guys are in touch with the Freewing and FMS folks , any talk of something like this in their pipelines? As much as I like the Warbirds I like the Civilian planes like this also . Love to see some Passenger jets !!
    But Crashing is Landing

Comment

Re: Dynam Grand Cruiser

Hi Hippie 64 best way to find out about a plane is to type in, dynam grand cruiser rc airplane forums. they will let you know every thing you wanted to know about the plane and then some by the way great airplane

Comment

The Dynam Grand Cruiser is one of my favorites, in fact, this and the Waco are the two best planes Dynam makes. This is a great plane when learning to fly with flaps and retracts, and very forgiving with the exception of slow speed tip stalls, just want to keep the speed up. There is no wing spar on this bird and it shows when you make sudden control movements, in fact wing flex is so bad one could likely snap the wings off if you tried. Aerobatics and 3-D flying this is not, but a great scale flier which always turn heads at the field. Retracts are acceptable and will last if not abused, flaps allows a very slow and controlled approach and landing. If I recall correctly, the ARF comes without flap servos but flaps are cut in the wing, so no big deal to add. The knife hinges Dynam provides for the flaps do not work, as the pivot point and geometry do not allow for linkage movement, I used simple nylon flat hinges. Like others, Im a sucker for the sound of a twin and this will not disappoint.
        CT

Comment

Thanks Wayne Hall and CT for the responses . I'm a little surprised they don't put spares in the wings . I did see there was one on the rear wing so I assumed there would be one on main wing . I really like the look of this plane . Would love to see Freewing or FMS make one in this scale can only imagine the things they would do . From all my research it seems to fly very well and looks great in the air . CT are the foam hinges holding up ok ? How about grass , does it do well ?
          But Crashing is Landing

Comment

The standard foam hinges are OK, but I replace any that show signs of wear with pin hinges. Not sure about flying on grass as mine are on asphalt. The wheels are small, but if you have a compact short grass it may be OK. Here in California most grass is Fescue and/or bluegrass, which is very thick and long and cannot fly anything less than a 4" tire. Due to the drought, parks and schools have been replacing their water thirsty bluegrass with Bermuda grass which is drought tolerant. Fescue is very compact low growing, and perfect for flying any size birds.
            There is another twin out there, the Beech Duke 80. A 1700mm - 62" ws this is simply a beauty and flies like a trainer. Not sure if they are still in production but if so with MRC could carry as it is very popular.
            CT

Comment

That Dynam Cruiser is indeed a nice looking twin engine but I fly off of a grass field and it might not be so friendly to that plane. I will wait to get my first twin engine a Dynam Bf 110. If I get it flying well than that Cruiser might make my quickly growing collection IF I have enough room in the hangar, my garage.

Comment

Baron people do fly it off of short grass, it will take off rather quickly

Comment

Greetings Gang,

I have this bird and it is a beauty in the air.

One very important point that has yet to be mentioned is that the props on the Cruiser are NOT counter-rotating and one must be aware of and ready for torque roll when taking off. Stay on that rudder!

Of course, I've had mine for a while and haven't researched it but, perhaps the newer versions have gone to counter-rotation on the props.

Clear Skies

Bill L.
                  in Okla.

Comment

I think Mark said it cost Dynam more to make a counter props plane (not sure why) therefore I am guessing the props will be the same.

Comment

Rocketeer I've read a few reviews saying flex in the wings then I find there is problem . Is there adequate room to install a spare ? I have seen the Duke , it is a very nice looking plane . Tried doing research on it but not able to find the Mfgr. on it . Thanks Wayne , where I'm doing most of my flying is a low cut soccer field and it works well .
                      But Crashing is Landing

Comment

I checked out that other company's RC Beech Duke 80 on YouTube and it is a really nice plane with a 63" wingspan using 14.8v 3600mah 25c Li-Po battery.

Comment

Greetings Hippie64,

I am probably not the best one to seek advice from on planes that seem to exude excessive wing flexing.

Of those that I own or have flown, like the Grand Cruiser, I simply don't believe that I am an aggressive enough pilot to really cause the type of flexing that's being reported. Or perhaps I'm just not seeing it.

I suppose I'm just going to have to take the plane out, put the pedal to the metal and see what I can see. If nothing else, it may allow me afterwards the opportunity to speak with experience pro or con.

That being said there is room to insert a solid piece of CF re-enforcement (approx. 28") if desired, from one of the molded plastic covers over the ailerons servo to the other.

Clear Skies

Bill L.
                          in Okla.

Comment

Thanks Rocketeer . Baron I've watched the same video and that is a really nice looking plane . It is out of stock now via their web site . I'm leaning toward the Dynam . I've not ventured from MRC yet and not sure if I will . But my wife really thinks the Duke is a great looking plane !!

P.S. Gotta make sure shes happy too , shes the one having to put up with the hanger I seem to filling LOL <smiley image="smiley_wink.gif"/>
                            But Crashing is Landing

Comment

Greetings Baron & H64,

Don't mean to evesdrop on your conversation about the Duke Twin but, I went to youtube and watched the video. I really like that plane as well. Reminds me a lot of Sky King, a show I watched as a kid.

Pull-pull systems always weird me out though. My 1700mm A-1 Sky Raider uses a pull-pull for the tail wheel steering and it seems I'm always having to tweak and fiddel with the cable to keep it taught and even in both directions. I'll eventually convert it to some kind of rod-system.

Anyway, if anyone ends up with the Duke I'll like to hear your thoughts on it.

Clear Skies

Bill L.
                              in Okla.

Comment

Re: Duke Twin

This twin flies beautifully, with no bad habits with exception of it tends to shed propellor blades. The stock is hub and spinner holding 3 blades, After the second incident I replaced with one piece unit and flies fine. Take-off in less than 20' and floats down full flaps for landing. It is such a presence in the sky everyone comments on what a beauty it is. 2 years ago before knowing about MRC I mistakenly duplicated the order for one and instead received 2. Glad I did now since these are hard to come by. I added cabin lights to go with the wingtip nav lights for my weekly dusk flights. Dont recall if original props are counter rotating, as I changed them to standard, Due to the size I notice no adverse pull at all. If you are able to find them I would not think twice, great plane!
                                CT

Comment

Greetings Guys,

There is actually an assembled Duke Twin For sale in excellent condition in the RC Groups Classifieds.
                                  Unfortunately, and understandably, he is unwilling to ship the plane however, he may be in close proximity to you or someone you know.

Clear Skies

Bill L.
                                  in Okla.

Comment

And if you look close at the photo, looks like Clipper & Penny stole the Songbird.

Comment

Darn, I forgot the main question *LOL*.
                                      One 'warning' I can give you....by telling my tale.
                                      Maidening my GC, about 3/4 down the downwind leg my LiPo suddenly dropped out below the aircraft, hanging only by its wires. You think it's tuff flying a plane with its CG off, try doing it with the main weight swinging on a pendulum 6" below the belly! Almost made it back to the runway - crashed maybe 5' off the far edge - relatively soft but still broke a wing & landing gear. Upon examination, it turned out the whole battery-retaining door, frame & all, had come un-glued & the whole rig popped off, followed by the LiPo like a 500 pounder out of a bomb bay.

I'd noticed the battery was a rather tight fit length-wise, & required forcing the hatch closed....but never dreamed the 'spring' force on it was enough to cause the glue to give. I was using the recommended LiPo, btw. The problem was caused by a common bugaboo you never see mentioned, ie the way the wires exit the cell pack, in this case making it overly long.

So, one tip I'll strongly recommend - add some good epoxy around the LiPo compartment door <i>frame</i>, making sure it's nailed on. Flew great up to that point -- all ~45 seconds of it. :)

Comment

Thanks Starhopper it will be on the top of list !!!!! Damn that's a major one .
                                        But Crashing is Landing

Comment

Working...
                                        X