X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying wing

I'm designing a BOT style flying wing. NO vertical stabs. If she flies as well as she looks... what a beauty! Doc

The easiest way to avoid needing veritcal stab is to provide ample sweep-back. This acts somewhat like dihedral and vertical stabilizer.

Then you'll want some form of controlled drag at the wingtips for yaw control.
    FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

I'm using sweep as well as dihedral just like the Horton gliders. An airfoil with a slight upward turned trailing edge (reflex) and elevons on the outer part of the wing only, are important for stability. Also washout can be difficult (if not impossible) on a folded foamboard wing, so extra reflex on the outer 3" of the elevons will help reduce tip stall tendencies and take the place of washout. I hope all this research pays off! Doc

Comment

That's why I'm waiting til I get a 3d printer to continue my design. Gonna print the ribs out

Comment

Let us know how that works out. I just finished my BOT flying wing airframe. (About $4 in materials) Now for the expensive part, electrics. It's 2 meters. If this flies I'm going to build a 3 meter wing, either BOT style or HO IV. Doc

Comment

Nice I think it should do well. Just setting the battery always was the PITA part. To get that critical cg point exact. Uuuugh.

Comment

Yeah, battery placement in the wings I've built is a problem. CG is really sensitive in these things! Doc

Comment

Yes, that's why I'm looking to the 3d printer route, I'm hoping to have a solid solution for the battery placement that I can first move around, then epoxy in when I find the perfect place. I think that will be my best chance of getting this right this time.

Comment

Originally posted by doctormike View Post
                  Let us know how that works out. I just finished my BOT flying wing airframe. (About $4 in materials) Now for the expensive part, electrics. It's 2 meters. If this flies I'm going to build a 3 meter wing, either BOT style or HO IV. Doc
                  doctormike, Don't know if you've flown your wing yet but I got back from the Horizon Hobby Aerotow two weeks and a guy built and flew this beautiful wing on it's maiden flight that flew very well.

video https://www.flickr.com/photos/422200...7698096661605/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/422200...7698096661605/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/422200...7698096661605/

Comment

Working...
                  X