X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bird of Time

I see that Great Planes is now shipping the Bird of Time ARF.

Yeah, got my notice from Tower this morning. Oh well, too late. I've been flying my electric converted BoT for months now. Glad I went that route. Can't put a price on all that sailing time. It's my 3rd best/favorite sailplane.

Comment

I would certainly shop around at the major powered sailplane sources before buying the G/P BoT, can get a much, much better flyer for just a few more $ unless you just have to have that wing profile.

Comment

Originally posted by brk6188 View Post
        I would certainly shop around at the major powered sailplane sources before buying the G/P BoT, can get a much, much better flyer for just a few more $ unless you just have to have that wing profile.
        There is truth to your statement. There are way better sailplanes out there in this size class. But as you say, I just had to have that wing profile. It looks so nice in the air. Now that I've installed a Bigaole Return to Home module, it flies quite nicely under stabilized control, but not quite as nice as my other 2 sailplanes.

Comment

Anyone have any updates on their ARF, BoT experiences, good or bad ? On my list to cut off front and graft in an insert to get the motor forward and use a smaller pack but there it sits ! Flown twice —- not a good investment !!!

Comment

I have flown mine a few more times since my last post here. My opinion on it has not changed. I considered lengthening the nose so I could use a smaller battery or at the very least, eliminate that huge hunk of lead on the nose I have for ballast. However, I doubted that a "reasonable" extension would do it. It is simply too tail heavy. That extension may need to be upwards of 10" to do what I wanted. I'm using a 3.0mah, 3S Graphene and it barely fits under the canopy.
            I never got around to installing the airbrakes this past winter. This plane comes in hot and requires the landing run to be well planned. Airbrakes should make this shorter, easier and much more manageable. My first BoT had airbrakes and it landed very well. Maybe in the next couple of months, I'll get around to the airbrakes. Moving to a new field with a wide open spaces and a very long landing strip, so the airbrakes are not an immediate need.
            It has taken a lot of work to get it to this point but I still like it for the wing profile as seen from the ground. As for a "good investment", I guess that's up to each person to decide. It's not the best investment I've had in this hobby but it's certainly not the worst either. It's a good addition to my sailplane fleet. I've recently built the 3.0m Fox Glider and have yet to fly it but I think it will be a good glider but not as good a sailplane as this BoT. Still have the Mystique RES, Radian XL.

Comment

No more news in the other thread either. I added all of Ben's (RcAirmods) enhancements which include the spoilers and I would have never added add that many $ to that dog of an airframe had I known. Although of very good design and quality they did not make the model anymore enjoyable or anymore efficient --- not Ben's fault ! Oh to have my old BoT or Grand Esprit or Challenger bet I could electrify very nicely with today's stuff.

Enjoy your fleet, you have some nice value for money "sailplanes" there. I drool when on Esprit's website but -----------.

Comment

Yeah, Esprit has some high dollar stuff. If I had one of those, I'd not need or want multiple sailplanes. Once, I wanted a Windex but the price just overwhelmed me. That's a "one only" sailplane.
                Soaringusa.com is your best place to shop internationally for radio control airplanes, r/c sailplanes, rc gliders, F5J, F3K, F5F, F3J, and F5K competition aircraft and the accessories to fly them.

Comment

An after-thought ............................ The Bird of Time has never been a good seller and in today's market, it will never be a good seller. It will continue to have a niche following. It's an old, antiquated design and when going electric power, too hard to get it right. It's doesn't soar as well as modern day sailplanes and it really needs mods to make it a desirable and relaxing plane to fly.

Comment

I converted my BOT to electric and could not be happier with it. Take it up to 400 ft., turn the motor off and it doesn't come down 'till my neck can't take anymore. I've specked it many times. I am very dissapointed that the BOT EP was discontinued only after a few months of being out. Doc

Comment

Originally posted by doctormike View Post
                      I converted my BOT to electric and could not be happier with it. Take it up to 400 ft., turn the motor off and it doesn't come down 'till my neck can't take anymore. I've specked it many times. I am very dissapointed that the BOT EP was discontinued only after a few months of being out. Doc
                      If you ever go to sell please put me at the front of the line.
                      My YouTube RC videos:
                      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

I've flown mine a few times this year and lately, I've decided to go with a smaller battery and some added weight to balance. I can now close the canopy much better where before, it wouldn't be completely flush. It's really starting to grow on me.

Comment

What great fun, soaring with Vultchers in a circle. They surly know where the thermals are.
                          Doc

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                            I've recently built the 3.0m Fox Glider and have yet to fly it but I think it will be a good glider but not as good a sailplane as this BoT. Still have the Mystique RES, Radian XL.
                            Looking back at this statement, I can now say with more conviction, that the Fox Glider is a poor sailplane. I fly it primarily as a large, sluggish, aerobatic, powered model airplane. The BoT is by far, a much better sailplane than the big Fox. I'll get rid of the Fox long before I get rid of the BoT. Because the XL is a foamie, it's getting "worn out" and looking a bit beat up. It'll probably go before the BoT.

Comment

I tried searching for the Bird of Time and it appears to be discontinued. Bummer! It's a model I have wanted for many years but never got around to ordering one. doctormike ready to sell yours yet?

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Originally posted by Aros View Post
                                I tried searching for the Bird of Time and it appears to be discontinued. Bummer! It's a model I have wanted for many years but never got around to ordering one. doctormike ready to sell yours yet?

That's too bad. I guess the more reason to keep mine. I sold my first one to someone who took it to Rio de Janeiro. I missed it as soon as I let it go. I fantasize about it floating around that giant statue of Jesus on top of the mountain. It would be neat to fantasize about one floating around the Seattle Space Needle, but alas, I think I like it to stay floating around the prairie wheat fields.

Comment

Hmmm...Okay my chances keep shrinking. Doctor Mike, come on man, you're my only hope.
                                  My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

I saw a Bird of Time at a RC swap meet in Sacramento about 8 years ago, and still regret not buying it! I'm glad you have one in your hangar, Xviper, may she live LONG
                                    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                                      I saw a Bird of Time at a RC swap meet in Sacramento about 8 years ago, and still regret not buying it! I'm glad you have one in your hangar, Xviper, may she live LONG
                                      Thanks.

Comment

xviper I am happy to report I found someone with a NIB BoT EP he's selling me for a good price. Finally! So I will be reading through that thread that talks about the issues with getting the EP to fly well. I believe I recall there were some issues with the EP version.
                                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Working...
                                        X