X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FMS L-13 Glider

Kind of surprised I see so little talk about this glider - not just here, but generally speaking. For an advanced beginner who is turned on by powered gliders (like myself) it has a definite attraction. I've read much about it (pros, cons, mods, etc.) and am intrigued enough to be put it on my wish list. I love it's lines and can picture it flying over the corn fields by my home. :-)

RE: FMS L-13 Glider

Hi, zephyr.. welcome to Hobby Squawk! I won the LET-13 in the social media contest. After much work making it look more like the full scale planes and balancing it at the suggested CG, I found (painfully) that it is extremely tail heavy. It requires almost 40 g in the nose to balance it properly. I haven't had a chance to try it again after all the repairs. I understand it is not much of a thermal glider, but fairly good as a sloper. I would suggest starting with a Radian. I have two, and am very happy with them. They will thermal forever. If you do buy a Radian.. remember to not use full throttle on takeoff and be prepaired to use a little down elevator under power. Once you get it trimmed it is wonderful! The Doctor

Comment

Hi Doc and thanks for your reply! Sorry to hear about your experience.. Sounds like the L-13 could benefit from some "tweaking". Maybe a 3S battery (along with a 30A ESC) would go a ways toward providing the additional weight (and boosting performance) ? - depending on how far forward the battery can be located. Just musing here of course.. I'm flying a mini-radian now and understand it handles much like it's larger sibling. I even had to dive out of the thermal a couple weeks ago because I was losing sight of it. As great as the big radian is though, I'm interested in something a bit different. So many possibilities... ;-)

Comment

I just flew my LET- 13 after adding weight and a 3s battery. It flies great and is aerobatic. It doesn't, however, have much of a glide ratio. Definately a sloaper. I think it would ride a strong thermal. The Doctor

Comment

Well.. after balancing for a 3s 1300 I put a 2s in it. Big mistake!!! I just finished putting it back together. It flyes great on a 3s. Doc

Comment

Sorry to hear it! Must be that threw the CG off eh?

Comment

xephyr...  Have you found your dream glider yet? I think I might have. I bought a Bird Of Time ARF glider. It has a 10 ft wing span and the wings separate into 3 sections. I'm going to motorize it. Doc

Comment

Those are great gliders Doc....
                Lauren

Comment

No dream glider here yet Doc, but I was out flying my AXN earlier this evening - near perfect weather for it! (for a change). I'm still very interested in the LET-13. The Bird of Time sounds pretty sweet... 10 feet WOW!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X