X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fhhuber View Post
    Don't abandon an idea at the first problem...
    Clearly you underestimate my laziness. LOL

All kidding aside, I am not a builder. I am not someone who appreciates modification. I want the aircraft that I purchase to be ready to fly out of the box. I respect those who like to tinker, to modify and do what it takes to make the ARF better, or even in some cases fly correctly. I hope in turn that those same people can respect that there's people like me who don't have the tools, space, time or desire to do anything other than fly. Neither side is better than the other. It just proves that there are all kinds of people who love this hobby. You strike me as a warrior who has seen that done that. I respect your knowledge and experience more than you know. I hope in turn, you can see in this current era we are enjoying that technology has given us the privilege and freedom to minimize the need to change anything. I get that some don't like that. Some insist on a build/kit approach but for me and others like me, I am in absolute Heaven over these PNP models we are releasing these days,

Take for instance our latest release. I can put our new F-4D Phantom II together in an hour or so. WOW. A HUGE, quality-built with awesome performance F4 Phantom out of the box within an hour? Pinch me because I surely am dreaming.

But to get back to your point, I hear you loud and clear. If I am interested enough I shouldn't just take the first bit of information I hear as gospel (no offense nor aimed at you xviper, you offered great info and I stand by that). Where there's a will there's a way. Clearly this BOT is worth finding a way.

My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

The real issue is the original E-BOT was brushed and used NiCd. And that stuff was heavy. No change to the aircraft, they "bolted in" brushless and said drop in a LiPo... and it needs lead to replace the lost weight.

I needed to put 2 oz on the tail of my FW F-14 because I used a set of slightly heavier batteries than they set it up for. No big deal.
      FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

I've decided to not wait till end of April for the EP version. There's still enough stock in various hobby shops of the original non-EP that I can buy one of those and do the conversion again. Like Aros, I don't like building or messing about with planes to get them to the flying stage. PNP is my thing but I'll do the occasional kit and ARF build grudgingly because that's the only way some planes come (that I really want). I currently have a kit version of a YF-23 on the bench that has been on the bench for months now and I'm still far from being finished. I could have gotten the PNP play but I was being a cheapskate on this one and wanted to use all the left over parts from previously crashed planes.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
          I've decided to not wait till end of April for the EP version. There's still enough stock in various hobby shops of the original non-EP that I can buy one of those and do the conversion again. Like Aros, I don't like building or messing about with planes to get them to the flying stage. PNP is my thing but I'll do the occasional kit and ARF build grudgingly because that's the only way some planes come (that I really want). I currently have a kit version of a YF-23 on the bench that has been on the bench for months now and I'm still far from being finished. I could have gotten the PNP play but I was being a cheapskate on this one and wanted to use all the left over parts from previously crashed planes.
          Nothing wrong with that XV............I call it being thrifty. I haven't amassed the sizeable RC fleet and other play things because of frivolously splashing(flushingLOL) of the hard earned greenbacks.
          Warbird Charlie
          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

"Frivolously splashing or flushing" is a euphemism for "dumb thumbs, dumb flying, dumb perception of ground".

Comment

Added 3oz to nose for three more flights. Now at just a hair under 5lb. This thing is still a truck in the air, not even close to a sailplane maybe not even a glider ! Still wants to drop a wing on slow thermal turns so heaven knows how you would center in weak lift. You will need to tame down that tailplane, seems very pitch sensitive even balanced nose heavy and do mix some downtrim in with full throttle. If you want to fly this as a "warmliner" then you will be fine because she wants to fly fast and I will admit that at speed the l/d is pretty good. But try to core a weak thermal and it won't happen.

All of Ben's mods work great and the spoilers do allow easy spot landings to be achieved

Agree that the nose should have been longer and maybe 6/8oz could have been saved. The fuse layup is definitely overkill (heavy) but maybe that was done to satisfy the masses.

Have not flown in wind of more than 8 mph so no idea of it's gust responses -- bet they are poor.

This one will probably be for sale in the next week or so as I can't see anyway to change things for the better. Pity really as it is a pretty bird in the air.

I wish I could remember how my original scratch built BoT flew those many years ago, off of both high starts and winches.

Do hope that some of you other EP BoT pilots can tame her better than I could.

Comment

The guy who taught me how to fly RC had a BoT and it flew as elegantly as it looked. Of course this was a true glider. Only a winch or high start for that bird. So when I think of the BoT I think light and a thermal pro. It's a shame that this EP sounds like a dog.

My first 3M ASW-28 was a beauty but sounds more like the characteristics of this EP BoT. My favorite thermal glider was my full house "Mystery Ship". Loved that bird. What I would give to still have her. Wish I never sold her. Here's some photos of them. Taken many moons ago.
                Attached Files
                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

They look very nice models, bet that Mystery Ship was a real thermal catcher. Used to fly competitively with Grand Esprit and Challenger -- sailplanes that could sniff out thermals better than a hound dog ! Just sold an ancient Airtronics Legend, set up for aerotow. If the BoT goes that will be my last sailplane, sticking to my EDF's from here on out. We go out to Colorado every summer and I get to see some of those glass slippers on the slopes -- fantastic but no good on our 78ft hills !!

Comment

Yeah the Mystery Ship was a thermal queen. I specked it out several times. Sometimes I even needed assistance from folks to help get her in a controlled spin just to get her back visually, lol. Ah, the good ol' days.
                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Well for what it is worth I have joined the ranks of the un-powered.

OK, not technically true, but I just closed a deal on an electrified BoT. I am picking her up this weekend and will try and get some photos up.

Comment

Nice!
                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Where are you guys finding EP BOT ahead of the Tower Hobby release? Doc

Comment

I asked this very question earlier and here is the answer I got:
                            Originally posted by brk6188 View Post
                            xviper -- well I actually received my EP BOT on Dec 30th (by courier !). Are they now on back order ? I cannot seem to add the link to Ben's site but search on "rcairmods.com" and you will find his site dedicated 100% to the BOT. You won't need my pitiful pics once you get there as he has photo details of these kits and complete installation details. You could also go into RCG and link to the review of the EP BOT.

Hope that helps, Barry
                            It would seem that there were a few EPs available from the start. I guess they were snapped up immediately and went to back order. The latest is "end of April". I'm not going to get the EP. There are still a few non-EP at some hobby shops. I have asked my local HS to order one for me before that supply runs dry and Hibbico becomes toast. I'll do the conversion myself as I did my first Gliderman.

Comment

I have a BoT still in the box so am reading this thread with great interest.

I have a Stenn Skybolt that was a cow to balance and the best way, I thought, to balance it was to get the weight as far forward as possible, so less dead weight is required. I don't have a lathe to turn an oversized nut for the prop shaft, so I figured that the next best place was the spinner, even though it's plastic.

By trial, I figured out the weight required, and reduced that by a quarter. With the spinner front end down in a cup, I then put that weight in lead shot in the spinner, determined the point it would fill to, and drilled four tiny holes, less than 1 mm, in the spiner, two pairs, at right angles, down a few mm from where the shot filled to, and put stainless steel wires through. Looking into the spinner, I could see what looks like crosshairs in a rifle telescope.

I then put the shot in, with enough epoxy resin to bind it all together, finishing a few mm above the stainless wires. The wires stop the weight from moving back as it may because the epoxy won't adhere to plastic. There is no load on the wires.

I had to drill a recess, only about 1 mm to accommodate the prop nut.

It has worked well for a lot of flights.

With a lot of available volume in a folding prop spinner, I think this is the way I'll go.

I could buy the mod, lengthen the nose, etc., but it will spoil the lines/appearance of what is a beautiful aircraft.

I'll also put the elevator servo up front and use the servo access hatch in the tail for the cooling air to escape.

Comment

My comments here and in RCG are of course based on my personal build/flights with the Great Planes Electro ARF version as sold by Tower Hobby in Dec 2017. I do not know what differences, if any, are in this airframe versus the Dynaflite sailplane version. My original BoT sailplane was all wood and built from plans and so much, much lighter than my electro version.

Comment

Sad to think that I have $460 + into this model --- should have put it toward the F-4, even momma would have been happy !

Comment

I'm in the process of extending the nose section of my BoT so that I don't have any CoG issues. I'm putting 10 cm in, right in front of the wing, and have it fuse cut, and the foam blank made for glassing.

The problem I have is that I don't know if it's polyester or epoxy resin. It smelt like poly when I cut it, but it doesn't have the familiar green/ish tinge to it, and I'd tip poly because it's much cheaper than epoxy, but.......??

Is anybody able to tell me for sure whether it's laid up in polyester or epoxy resin??

Comment

I am not sure either but have read that " New Poly sticks to Old Poly and New Epoxy sticks to Old Poly BUT New Poly will not stick to Old or New Epoxy" Have never proven it one way or another, suspect age might be a factor ?

Comment

Originally posted by Ross M View Post
                                        I'm in the process of extending the nose section of my BoT so that I don't have any CoG issues. I'm putting 10 cm in, right in front of the wing, and have it fuse cut, and the foam blank made for glassing.
                                        I'm thinking about doing something similar to extend the nose so the motor can act on a longer lever, making it possible to use smaller batteries and eliminate the need for extra weight. It would be great if you could snap a pic or two along the way. I'd love to see how you're doing it.

Comment

• Me also, would love to know the details of your conversion if you do it. I keep going back to the 2015 posts by DoctorMike who it seems had great success in electrifying the BoT -- must have been an original wood version.

Comment

Working...
                                          X