X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Propeller blades

Anyone know where I can buy the OEM blades for my Calypso 93" wing.

Thanks.
    Jimmy

I started out with nothing, and still have most of it.  :)

Death is the number one killer in the world.

I'm sure you already know that this plane has been discontinued. Other than some hobby shop having some parts in the bin, you should try ebay or amazon to see if anyone has some. Beyond this, it is now up to you to find a prop set that is close to or the same pitch and length of what you need and do your own bit of modding. Esprit Model specializes in gliders and they sell many, many different brands and sizes of folding prop blades. Same goes for HobbyKing. In most cases, you must select what's closest to what you need. I've seen where you've stated that you have trouble making the root of the blades fit into the yoke (holder). This is not uncommon. I've done this many times. You must do whatever grinding needed to make them fit the way they need to fit - use sandpaper or Dremel took, lubricate to help them move easily.
    Most of the time, you can get away with something less pitch and bit longer or something with more pitch and a bit shorter. Such is the life of an RC hobbyist.

Comment

Think you've hit the nail on the head in your response. Thought this plane would be around for a lot longer. Bought in 2016,stored in shop, and finally got it out couple months ago. Have really enjoyed flying it. I'm kinda late in life continuing to enjoy R/C flying. Did find aftermarket at HH, however I had to drill the holes, and some stock removal. These are 1" shorter. Hadn't thought about going 1" longer than OEM, THAT should matter as long as they fold back.

Thanks so much for your response. Not much traffice on forums here and I buy from MotionRC mainly because veteran owned and good prices. I'm retired, 72, so I have plenty of time to rework and repair providing the wife doesn't have anything for me to do.

I will get in touch with the sources you've mentioned.

In your opinion, pitch might be more important than length? correct?

Have a good one and thanks again.

Jimmy
      Jimmy

Comment

Pitch and length should go hand in hand, if you want to maintain the same amp draw as stock. Too long and/or too pitchy can burn up the motor or ESC or both. 1" shorter should be 1 pitch higher. 1" longer should be 1 pitch lower, but if you don't run the motor near max a lot, then keeping the same pitch with the longer blade should be OK. With a glider, you're only powering up for less than a minute at a time anyway and then shutting it down to glide as long as you can. I've purchased completely stock (OEM) folding props that required some grinding to make fit (eg, Fox Glider 3.0). Even the ones that come on the plane out of the box did not swing freely and needed to be worked on. I think the Calypso wasn't a terrific seller but so long as you enjoy it, that's all that matters.
        PS, I'm only a couple of years behind you but I started back in this hobby only about 10 years ago and there was a LOT to learn. Still is more to learn. Enjoy it as much as you can. My dear old flying buddy passed away at age 82 and we flew and learned together for much of that time. It was the best years of his life.

Comment

THANKS SO MUCH. GREAT INFO FOR ME. BEGINNING TO UNDERSTAND LENGTH VS PITCH.

WHAT KIND OF LUBE DO YOU USE WHEN REQUIRED?

SORRY YOU LOST YOUR BUDDY. THEY ARE HARD TO COME BY, AT LEAST R/C FLYERS. MOST DON'T UNDERSTAND OUR ADDICTION AND ENJOYMENT. BUT, THAT'S OK.

Jimmy
          Jimmy

Comment

Originally posted by skillett View Post
            WHAT KIND OF LUBE DO YOU USE WHEN REQUIRED?
            Lube? You mean in regards to ensuring the folding props fold without restriction? I don't generally use any. I just do them up tight enough so that when you hold the prop with nose cone pointed straight up, gravity is enough to make them drop down into the folded position. For those prop holders that don't have nuts and bolts, I make sure the hole is big enough so there's no friction and I make sure the width of the blade base is narrow enough. This may require some drilling or extra sanding.

Comment

Thanks xv. Appreciate it.

Jimmy
              Jimmy

Comment

Working...
              X