X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freewing Seagull 4-in-1 Prop and EDF

I just put together the Freewing Seagull, I will use the EDF and V-tail mode. to train on both. I have a Futaba 8FG and need some help setting up the V-tail and also the mount of throws recommended for this model. I am an intermediate level pilot. Can you use Delta mix on this model.
    Attached Files

Re: Freewing Seagull 4-in-1 Prop and EDF

You do not want to use a delta mix since you have separate ailerons. Your 8FG should allow you to choose "v-tail" for the tail type when setting up a new model. When you select "v-tail" for the tail type, it will automatically setup elevator and rudder. Do make sure they are going the correct direction and reverse the servos if you have to via the radio. This is very important.

Here is what I would do with throws:
    1) setup dual rates on a 3 position switch
    2) position 1 = 100% throws
    3) position 2 = 80% throws
    4) position 3 = 70% throws

I normally start on position 2 and move to 1 or 3 depending on how a new aircraft handles. I generally use this as a starting point for all my planes. I suspect you will want to use 100% with this plane but it really depends on personal preference. You can also use a combination of the above along with some expo. I never follow recommended throws in any manual. I always like to figure out the best throws/expo for my flying style and personal preference.

Comment

Thank you!! Appreciate your help.
      On Nov 26, 2013 9:45 PM, "Tom.MotionRC [via Motion RC Community Forum]" <
      ml-node+s1075610n1245h34@n5.nabble.com> wrote:

> You do not want to use a delta mix since you have separate ailerons. You
      > 8FG should allow you to choose "v-tail" for the tail type when setting up=
      a
      > new model. When you select "v-tail" for the tail type, it will
      > automatically setup elevator and rudder. Do make sure they are going the
      > correct direction and reverse the servos if you have to via the radio. Th=
      is
      > is very important.
      >
      > Here is what I would do with throws:
      > 1) setup dual rates on a 3 position switch
      > 2) position 1 =3D 100% throws
      > 3) position 2 =3D 80% throws
      > 4) position 3 =3D 70% throws
      >
      > I normally start on position 2 and move to 1 or 3 depending on how a new
      > aircraft handles. I generally use this as a starting point for all my
      > planes. I suspect you will want to use 100% with this plane but it really
      > depends on personal preference. You can also use a combination of the abo=
      ve
      > along with some expo. I never follow recommended throws in any manual. I
      > always like to figure out the best throws/expo for my flying style and
      > personal preference.
      >
      > ------------------------------
      > If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion
      > below:
      >
      > http://motion-rc-community-forum.1075610.n5.nabble.com/Freewing-Seagull-4=
      -in-1-Prop-and-EDF-tp1202p1245.html
      > To unsubscribe from Freewing Seagull 4-in-1 Prop and EDF, click here<htt=
      p://motion-rc-community-forum.1075610.n5.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jt=
      p?macro=3Dunsubscribe_by_code&node=3D1202&code=3Db 2VscmF5ZXNAZ21haWwuY29tfD=
      EyMDJ8NjAyOTUwNjMz>
      > .
      > NAML<http://motion-rc-community-forum.1075610.n5.nabble.com/template/Naml=
      Servlet.jtp?macro=3Dmacro_viewer&id=3Dinstant_html %21nabble%3Aemail.naml&ba=
      se=3Dnabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleN=
      amespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs =3Dnotify_subscr=
      ibers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_insta=
      nt_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>
      >

Comment

X-SA-Exim-Connect-IP: 209.85.216.41
        X-SA-Exim-Mail-From: oelrayes@gmail.com
        X-SA-Exim-Scanned: No (on sam.nabble.com); SAEximRunCond expanded to false

----_com.android.email_784179246716190

T3VjaCBJIGxvc3QgJDMwLjAwIG9uIG15IHB1cmNoYXNlIG9uIH RoZSBTZWFndWxsLgoKClNlbnQg
        dmlhIHRoZSBTYW1zdW5nIEdhbGF4eSBT4oSiSUlJLCBhbiBBVC ZUIDRHIExURSBzbWFydHBob25l
        CgotLS0tLS0tLSBPcmlnaW5hbCBtZXNzYWdlIC0tLS0tLS0tCk Zyb206ICJUb20uTW90aW9uUkMg
        W3ZpYSBNb3Rpb24gUkMgQ29tbXVuaXR5IEZvcnVtXSIgPG1sLW 5vZGUrczEwNzU2MTBuMTI0NWgz
        NEBuNS5uYWJibGUuY29tPiAKRGF0ZTogMTEvMjYvMjAxMyAgOT o0NSBQTSAgKEdNVC0wNTowMCkg
        ClRvOiBPbWFyIEVsIFJheWVzIDxvZWxyYXllc0BnbWFpbC5jb2 0+IApTdWJqZWN0OiBSZTogRnJl
        ZXdpbmcgU2VhZ3VsbCA0LWluLTEgUHJvcCBhbmQgRURGIAogCl lvdSBkbyBub3Qgd2FudCB0byB1
        c2UgYSBkZWx0YSBtaXggc2luY2UgeW91IGhhdmUgc2VwYXJhdG UgYWlsZXJvbnMuIFlvdSA4Rkcg
        c2hvdWxkIGFsbG93IHlvdSB0byBjaG9vc2UgInYtdGFpbCIgZm 9yIHRoZSB0YWlsIHR5cGUgd2hl
        biBzZXR0aW5nIHVwIGEgbmV3IG1vZGVsLiBXaGVuIHlvdSBzZW xlY3QgInYtdGFpbCIgZm9yIHRo
        ZSB0YWlsIHR5cGUsIGl0IHdpbGwgYXV0b21hdGljYWxseSBzZX R1cCBlbGV2YXRvciBhbmQgcnVk
        ZGVyLiBEbyBtYWtlIHN1cmUgdGhleSBhcmUgZ29pbmcgdGhlIG NvcnJlY3QgZGlyZWN0aW9uIGFu
        ZCByZXZlcnNlIHRoZSBzZXJ2b3MgaWYgeW91IGhhdmUgdG8gdm lhIHRoZSByYWRpby4gVGhpcyBp
        cyB2ZXJ5IGltcG9ydGFudC4gCgpIZXJlIGlzIHdoYXQgSSB3b3 VsZCBkbyB3aXRoIHRocm93czog
        CjEpIHNldHVwIGR1YWwgcmF0ZXMgb24gYSAzIHBvc2l0aW9uIH N3aXRjaCAKMikgcG9zaXRpb24g
        MSA9IDEwMCUgdGhyb3dzIAozKSBwb3NpdGlvbiAyID0gODAlIH Rocm93cyAKNCkgcG9zaXRpb24g
        MyA9IDcwJSB0aHJvd3MgCgpJIG5vcm1hbGx5IHN0YXJ0IG9uIH Bvc2l0aW9uIDIgYW5kIG1vdmUg
        dG8gMSBvciAzIGRlcGVuZGluZyBvbiBob3cgYSBuZXcgYWlyY3 JhZnQgaGFuZGxlcy4gSSBnZW5l
        cmFsbHkgdXNlIHRoaXMgYXMgYSBzdGFydGluZyBwb2ludCBmb3 IgYWxsIG15IHBsYW5lcy4gSSBz
        dXNwZWN0IHlvdSB3aWxsIHdhbnQgdG8gdXNlIDEwMCUgd2l0aC B0aGlzIHBsYW5lIGJ1dCBpdCBy
        ZWFsbHkgZGVwZW5kcyBvbiBwZXJzb25hbCBwcmVmZXJlbmNlLi BZb3UgY2FuIGFsc28gdXNlIGEg
        Y29tYmluYXRpb24gb2YgdGhlIGFib3ZlIGFsb25nIHdpdGggc2 9tZSBleHBvLiBJIG5ldmVyIGZv
        bGxvdyByZWNvbW1lbmRlZCB0aHJvd3MgaW4gYW55IG1hbnVhbC 4gSSBhbHdheXMgbGlrZSB0byBm
        aWd1cmUgb3V0IHRoZSBiZXN0IHRocm93cy9leHBvIGZvciBteS BmbHlpbmcgc3R5bGUgYW5kIHBl
        cnNvbmFsIHByZWZlcmVuY2UuIAoKSWYgeW91IHJlcGx5IHRvIH RoaXMgZW1haWwsIHlvdXIgbWVz
        c2FnZSB3aWxsIGJlIGFkZGVkIHRvIHRoZSBkaXNjdXNzaW9uIG JlbG93OgpodHRwOi8vbW90aW9u
        LXJjLWNvbW11bml0eS1mb3J1bS4xMDc1NjEwLm41Lm5hYmJsZS 5jb20vRnJlZXdpbmctU2VhZ3Vs
        bC00LWluLTEtUHJvcC1hbmQtRURGLXRwMTIwMnAxMjQ1Lmh0bW wKVG8gdW5zdWJzY3JpYmUgZnJv
        bSBGcmVld2luZyBTZWFndWxsIDQtaW4tMSBQcm9wIGFuZCBFRE YsIGNsaWNrIGhlcmUuCk5BTUw=

----_com.android.email_784179246716190

PGh0bWw+PGhlYWQ+PG1ldGEgaHR0cC1lcXVpdj0iQ29udGVudC 1UeXBlIiBjb250ZW50PSJ0ZXh0
        L2h0bWw7IGNoYXJzZXQ9VVRGLTgiPjwvaGVhZD48Ym9keSA+PG Rpdj5PdWNoIEkgbG9zdCAkMzAu
        MDAgb24gbXkgcHVyY2hhc2Ugb24gdGhlIFNlYWd1bGwuPC9kaX Y+PGRpdj48YnI+PC9kaXY+PGRp
        dj48YnI+PC9kaXY+PGRpdj48ZGl2IHN0eWxlPSJmb250LXNpem U6NzUlO2NvbG9yOiM1NzU3NTci
        PlNlbnQgdmlhIHRoZSBTYW1zdW5nIEdhbGF4eSBT4oSiSUlJLC BhbiBBVCZhbXA7VCA0RyBMVEUg
        c21hcnRwaG9uZTwvZGl2PjwvZGl2PiA8YnI+PGJyPjxicj4tLS 0tLS0tLSBPcmlnaW5hbCBtZXNz
        YWdlIC0tLS0tLS0tPGJyPkZyb206ICJUb20uTW90aW9uUkMgW3 ZpYSBNb3Rpb24gUkMgQ29tbXVu
        aXR5IEZvcnVtXSIgJmx0O21sLW5vZGUrczEwNzU2MTBuMTI0NW gzNEBuNS5uYWJibGUuY29tJmd0
        OyA8YnI+RGF0ZTogMTEvMjYvMjAxMyAgOTo0NSBQTSAgKEdNVC 0wNTowMCkgPGJyPlRvOiBPbWFy
        IEVsIFJheWVzICZsdDtvZWxyYXllc0BnbWFpbC5jb20mZ3Q7ID xicj5TdWJqZWN0OiBSZTogRnJl
        ZXdpbmcgU2VhZ3VsbCA0LWluLTEgUHJvcCBhbmQgRURGIDxicj 4gPGJyPjxicj5Zb3UgZG8gbm90
        IHdhbnQgdG8gdXNlIGEgZGVsdGEgbWl4IHNpbmNlIHlvdSBoYX ZlIHNlcGFyYXRlIGFpbGVyb25z
        LiBZb3UgOEZHIHNob3VsZCBhbGxvdyB5b3UgdG8gY2hvb3NlIC J2LXRhaWwiIGZvciB0aGUgdGFp
        bCB0eXBlIHdoZW4gc2V0dGluZyB1cCBhIG5ldyBtb2RlbC4gV2 hlbiB5b3Ugc2VsZWN0ICJ2LXRh
        aWwiIGZvciB0aGUgdGFpbCB0eXBlLCBpdCB3aWxsIGF1dG9tYX RpY2FsbHkgc2V0dXAgZWxldmF0
        b3IgYW5kIHJ1ZGRlci4gRG8gbWFrZSBzdXJlIHRoZXkgYXJlIG dvaW5nIHRoZSBjb3JyZWN0IGRp
        cmVjdGlvbiBhbmQgcmV2ZXJzZSB0aGUgc2Vydm9zIGlmIHlvdS BoYXZlIHRvIHZpYSB0aGUgcmFk
        aW8uIFRoaXMgaXMgdmVyeSBpbXBvcnRhbnQuIAo8YnI+PGJyPk hlcmUgaXMgd2hhdCBJIHdvdWxk
        IGRvIHdpdGggdGhyb3dzOgo8YnI+MSkgc2V0dXAgZHVhbCByYX RlcyBvbiBhIDMgcG9zaXRpb24g
        c3dpdGNoCjxicj4yKSBwb3NpdGlvbiAxID0gMTAwJSB0aHJvd3 MKPGJyPjMpIHBvc2l0aW9uIDIg
        PSA4MCUgdGhyb3dzCjxicj40KSBwb3NpdGlvbiAzID0gNzAlIH Rocm93cwo8YnI+PGJyPkkgbm9y
        bWFsbHkgc3RhcnQgb24gcG9zaXRpb24gMiBhbmQgbW92ZSB0by AxIG9yIDMgZGVwZW5kaW5nIG9u
        IGhvdyBhIG5ldyBhaXJjcmFmdCBoYW5kbGVzLiBJIGdlbmVyYW xseSB1c2UgdGhpcyBhcyBhIHN0
        YXJ0aW5nIHBvaW50IGZvciBhbGwgbXkgcGxhbmVzLiBJIHN1c3 BlY3QgeW91IHdpbGwgd2FudCB0
        byB1c2UgMTAwJSB3aXRoIHRoaXMgcGxhbmUgYnV0IGl0IHJlYW xseSBkZXBlbmRzIG9uIHBlcnNv
        bmFsIHByZWZlcmVuY2UuIFlvdSBjYW4gYWxzbyB1c2UgYSBjb2 1iaW5hdGlvbiBvZiB0aGUgYWJv
        dmUgYWxvbmcgd2l0aCBzb21lIGV4cG8uIEkgbmV2ZXIgZm9sbG 93IHJlY29tbWVuZGVkIHRocm93
        cyBpbiBhbnkgbWFudWFsLiBJIGFsd2F5cyBsaWtlIHRvIGZpZ3 VyZSBvdXQgdGhlIGJlc3QgdGhy
        b3dzL2V4cG8gZm9yIG15IGZseWluZyBzdHlsZSBhbmQgcGVyc2 9uYWwgcHJlZmVyZW5jZS4gCgoJ
        CgkKCQoJPGJyPgoJPGJyPgoJPGhyIG5vc2hhZGU9Im5vc2hhZG UiIHNpemU9IjEiIGNvbG9yPSIj
        Y2NjY2NjIj4KCTxkaXYgc3R5bGU9ImNvbG9yOiM0NDQ7IGZvbn Q6IDEycHggdGFob21hLGdlbmV2
        YSxoZWx2ZXRpY2EsYXJpYWwsc2Fucy1zZXJpZjsiPgoJCTxkaX Ygc3R5bGU9ImZvbnQtd2VpZ2h0
        OmJvbGQiPklmIHlvdSByZXBseSB0byB0aGlzIGVtYWlsLCB5b3 VyIG1lc3NhZ2Ugd2lsbCBiZSBh
        ZGRlZCB0byB0aGUgZGlzY3Vzc2lvbiBiZWxvdzo8L2Rpdj4KCQ k8YSBocmVmPSJodHRwOi8vbW90
        aW9uLXJjLWNvbW11bml0eS1mb3J1bS4xMDc1NjEwLm41Lm5hYm JsZS5jb20vRnJlZXdpbmctU2Vh
        Z3VsbC00LWluLTEtUHJvcC1hbmQtRURGLXRwMTIwMnAxMjQ1Lm h0bWwiPmh0dHA6Ly9tb3Rpb24t
        cmMtY29tbXVuaXR5LWZvcnVtLjEwNzU2MTAubjUubmFiYmxlLm NvbS9GcmVld2luZy1TZWFndWxs
        LTQtaW4tMS1Qcm9wLWFuZC1FREYtdHAxMjAycDEyNDUuaHRtbD wvYT4KCTwvZGl2PgoJPGRpdiBz
        dHlsZT0iY29sb3I6IzY2NjsgZm9udDogMTFweCB0YWhvbWEsZ2 VuZXZhLGhlbHZldGljYSxhcmlh
        bCxzYW5zLXNlcmlmO21hcmdpbi10b3A6LjRlbTtsaW5lLWhlaW dodDoxLjVlbSI+CgkJCgkJVG8g
        dW5zdWJzY3JpYmUgZnJvbSBGcmVld2luZyBTZWFndWxsIDQtaW 4tMSBQcm9wIGFuZCBFREYsIDxh
        IGhyZWY9Imh0dHA6Ly9tb3Rpb24tcmMtY29tbXVuaXR5LWZvcn VtLjEwNzU2MTAubjUubmFiYmxl
        LmNvbS90ZW1wbGF0ZS9OYW1sU2VydmxldC5qdHA/bWFjcm89dW5zdWJzY3JpYmVfYnlfY29kZSZh
        bXA7bm9kZT0xMjAyJmFtcDtjb2RlPWIyVnNjbUY1WlhOQVoyMW hhV3d1WTI5dGZERXlNREo4TmpB
        eU9UVXdOak16Ij5jbGljayBoZXJlPC9hPi48YnI+CgkJPGEgaH JlZj0iaHR0cDovL21vdGlvbi1y
        Yy1jb21tdW5pdHktZm9ydW0uMTA3NTYxMC5uNS5uYWJibGUuY2 9tL3RlbXBsYXRlL05hbWxTZXJ2
        bGV0Lmp0cD9tYWNybz1tYWNyb192aWV3ZXImYW1wO2lkPWluc3 RhbnRfaHRtbCUyMW5hYmJsZSUz
        QWVtYWlsLm5hbWwmYW1wO2Jhc2U9bmFiYmxlLm5hbWwubmFtZX NwYWNlcy5CYXNpY05hbWVzcGFj
        ZS1uYWJibGUudmlldy53ZWIudGVtcGxhdGUuTmFiYmxlTmFtZX NwYWNlLW5hYmJsZS52aWV3Lndl
        Yi50ZW1wbGF0ZS5Ob2RlTmFtZXNwYWNlJmFtcDticmVhZGNydW 1icz1ub3RpZnlfc3Vic2NyaWJl
        cnMlMjFuYWJibGUlM0FlbWFpbC5uYW1sLWluc3RhbnRfZW1haW xzJTIxbmFiYmxlJTNBZW1haWwu
        bmFtbC1zZW5kX2luc3RhbnRfZW1haWwlMjFuYWJibGUlM0FlbW FpbC5uYW1sIiByZWw9Im5vZm9s
        bG93IiBzdHlsZT0iZm9udDo5cHggc2VyaWYiPk5BTUw8L2E+Cg k8L2Rpdj48L2JvZHk+

----_com

Comment

Hello, I'm giving serious thought to buying the Seagull. Looks pretty good so far. The big question I have is..... I do alot of traveling. I disassemble my Calypso and it usually goes with me as I do alot of flying at the beach. Its very accommodating due to the wing and tail screws. I'm looking for something similar so was wondering if the Seagull disassembles and reassemble easily or comparable to the Calypso?

I like the looks of the Seagull and it would be perfect for the Go Pro hero.

Comment

Hey sorry, I jumped the gun. I went to the the Freewing website and they have the manual for all of their models they have including the Seagull. Apparently it does disassemble easily . Thanks for any of you who provide anything additional

Comment

I did not have to glue the model. If only need to detach the main wings.
              On Jan 2, 2014 4:13 PM, "FlightChief [via Motion RC Community Forum]" <
              ml-node+s1075610n1479h88@n5.nabble.com> wrote:

> Hello, I'm giving serious thought to buying the Seagull. Looks pretty
              > good so far. The big question I have is..... I do alot of traveling. I
              > disassemble my Calypso and it usually goes with me as I do alot of flyin=
              g
              > at the beach. Its very accommodating due to the wing and tail screws. I'=
              m
              > looking for something similar so was wondering if the Seagull disassemble=
              s
              > and reassemble easily or comparable to the Calypso?
              >
              > I like the looks of the Seagull and it would be perfect for the Go Pro
              > hero.
              >
              > ------------------------------
              > If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion
              > below:
              >
              > http://motion-rc-community-forum.1075610.n5.nabble.com/Freewing-Seagull-4=
              -in-1-Prop-and-EDF-tp1202p1479.html
              > To unsubscribe from Freewing Seagull 4-in-1 Prop and EDF, click here<htt=
              p://motion-rc-community-forum.1075610.n5.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jt=
              p?macro=3Dunsubscribe_by_code&node=3D1202&code=3Db 2VscmF5ZXNAZ21haWwuY29tfD=
              EyMDJ8NjAyOTUwNjMz>
              > .
              > NAML<http://motion-rc-community-forum.1075610.n5.nabble.com/template/Naml=
              Servlet.jtp?macro=3Dmacro_viewer&id=3Dinstant_html %21nabble%3Aemail.naml&ba=
              se=3Dnabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleN=
              amespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs =3Dnotify_subscr=
              ibers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_insta=
              nt_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>
              >

Comment

RE: Freewing Seagull 4-in-1 Prop and EDF

Hey everyone, didn't want to start another one because I saw this one. I too have a Calypso and love it, however it is huge. I really like the looks of the Freewing and was wondering who had one and how it flies. I really like the ability of changing out the configurations. Watching the videos is fine but I wanted some real feedback. Thanks
                Addicted to planes!

Comment

I am looking at purchasing this plane and would like to hear some thoughts on people that own it and have flown it in all the different configurations.
                  My YouTube Channel

Comment

I've got one! Flown it as an EDF V tail, prop V tail, and prop standard tail. Not much rudder with the V tail but it sure looks sharp in the air. The EDF gives you a little less flight time than the propeller config and actually the propeller seems to be a bit faster too but maybe that's just cuz it accelerates faster or seems to. If you have ever seen or flown a Bixler then, except for the EDF and V tail, it's about the same thing. My son has a Bixler 2 and I have the Seagull. The Bix is easier to get a camera in or on but the Seagulls foam and finish are much better. Switching tails or propulsion is relatively easy to do, maybe ten minutes for each. It's a nice plane.... Glad I bought it. :)
                    Lauren

Comment

The you tube video says it has a camera mount near the front underneath section, I have a 808 #16 keychain camera. Will that camera fit inside there if you are familiar with the camera?

The plane looks very cool. I am somewhat a beginner although I have never flown a bixler. I have been flying 6-7 months now.
                      My YouTube Channel

Comment

Yep it will. In fact, that's pretty much what it is made for. There is a velcro strap installed to tie one down but it is a hard area to access because the battery tray sits right above that area. The clear plastic port for where the camera points out is also easily scuffed in a hard landing on anything but grass so be careful not to land in rocky soil. About the time I bought the plane my 808 died so I never popped a camera in mine as now the only camera I have is my Go Pro. I had toyed with the idea of cutting a hatch to access the camera area easier.....
                        Lauren

Comment

Thanks!! Looking forward to getting it.
                          My YouTube Channel

Comment

Any updates, Jobinseattle? Did you mount the 808 keychain camera?
                            Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

I wondering the same thing Alpha. I would like to know if he ever mounted the 808. I was thinking about getting a Hawksky and remove the canopy and mount my 808 in it.
                              Still Learning:D

Comment

I have the Seagull. Wasn't able to fly it for quite some time. Now Made about 25 or so flights with it so far. Just my opinion but, I prefer the prop over the jet. I haven't tried the V tail yet. The plane is easy to launch and flys great. The camera mount is fairly worthless. I have a Mobius (model unknown) It won't fit in that allotted space but not a big deal anyway. The plane has a plastic window for the camera to shoot through and after a couple of normal landings in the beach sand, it scraped up the plastic window bad enough that camera footage would be bad anyway. I mount the mobius on the top just above the canopy with a velcro strap. The CG changed a bit but was able to easily compensate with that big 2200 battery. Grab some altitude, shut the engine off and got some great video. Fairly decent glide ratio.
                                I have a Calypso that I also travel with. The two planes are a pretty good combination for beach and gliding.

Comment

I also prefer the prop setup over the EDF setup. Good flight times with the 3s 2200.
                                  Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

How long are flight times w/prop vs. the EDF?
                                    You might be able to fly it, but can you land it?

Comment

Originally posted by martmichals View Post
                                      How long are flight times w/prop vs. the EDF?
                                      This depends on how much "gliding" you do. If you only use the motor for getting up to altitude, the prop version is much more "fuel efficient". The EDF draws a lot of juice for climbing. I recall that on mine, ascending to about 300 - 400 feet each time, I could get roughly 4 climbs (maybe 5) with prop and maybe 2 or 3 on EDF, both with enough to cruise around on power to set up for a good landing. If you cruise under power all the time (say for FPV or for videoing), moderate prop throttle could give you 5 to 7 minutes. EDF, around 3 to 4. Start low, check battery after flight, adjust time for next flight.
                                      I flew mine mostly with T-tail. I found the V-tail initially looked nicer and had less drag, but tail authority was not as good.
                                      I found the Seagull to be a very attractive plane in the air, but it is not as good a sailplane as many of the other, "front line" ones (Radian for one). It glides a bit faster than most sailplanes and needs quite a bit power to get launched if you are doing it from level ground (as opposed to from top of a hill). The thrust angle of the motor tends to push the plane down until enough airspeed is built up. This can be quite alarming during those launches when the power is not sufficient. Either launch with very low power or very high power. The former reduces the thrust induced down push at launch speeds. The latter gets the speed up rapidly so the plane begins to fly before losing too much height.

Comment

I bought this glider as my second plane, it has over 100 flights and still going strong, i finally ended up putting one of Don's Wicked 64mm EDF setups on it.
                                        its faster than the prop and the stock edf, im using a 2500mah 4s 60 c lipo and its a blast to fly, on sunny days i get up to altitude and just glide around for 10 minutes at 1/4 throttle. i also use the V-Tail.....just looks cool.

Comment

Working...
                                        X