X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bigger Wheels for a Hawkshy V2?

I've got a Hawksky V2 which by the way I love, but I'm only able to hand launch it. Would adding some bigger wheels help with grass take offs? I know it will change the CG, but that want be any issue I'm just wondering if it could handle anything a little bigger.
    Still Learning:D

Not familiar with the Hawksky, but I replace all stock wheels with larger Dubro low bounce wheels. Some minor balance adjustments are sometimes needed. They make grass T&L's much easyer. Doc

Comment

Do you think the power system on the plane would be powerful enough to do a belly take off? Looking at the specs on it, that might be a problem but I'd give it a try. Remove the wheels altogether and give it a try. Maybe apply a strip of clear tape on the belly for protection.
      Many of those top mounted pushers will take off nicely from a belly slide. One the Hawksky, I think the limiting factor will be those spindly little gear wires. Putting heavier wheels on it may be a problem, however, putting bigger wheels if they are light, may work. I'm thinking about those "pin-wheel" type wheels - larger diameter but still very skinny, with those spiral type spokes. I'm talking something like these:

Not necessarily exactly like them but you get the idea.

Comment

I know Pilot Ryan does do a take off from the small wheels on the video. However, its a hard surface as seen in most of his recent videos. I was just wondering if it would help on a grass surface. I haven't had the chance to try it at the club. We do have a good grass surface and the grass is cut really short. Thanks guys for all of your help. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with this plane.

Comment

Paul measure your wheels then look at what's available and go up maybe a 1/4 - 1/2 inch in size but pay close attention to the axle size . Call to see if someone can tell you about any weights on them because there may be some CG issues

Bryan
          But Crashing is Landing

Comment

I keep various sizes of telescoping aluminum tubing on hand. I cut them to the width of the wheels axle hole. For a small axle, I use two tubes, one inside the other. This works great! You can find the tubing at Ace hardware, Hobby Lobby, or on line. Doc

Comment

Thanks Bryan and Doc! I guess my best bet is to try it at the field first. I've only been flying it at home. Doc, I do have some tubing I picked up at the local hobby shop and have been trying to pick a few things like that here and there to keep on hand never knowing what I may need one day. I only have three planes at the moment but we all know that's never enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                I've got a Hawksky V2 which by the way I love, but I'm only able to hand launch it. Would adding some bigger wheels help with grass take offs? I know it will change the CG, but that want be any issue I'm just wondering if it could handle anything a little bigger.
                https://youtu.be/OJvCPrfeobQ ,,,,,,,ck out this video Pauly on how I beat the cactus and high grass out here with my HawkSky. Works like a dream..If you want the plans,etc measurements,etc...let me know!!!

Comment

Originally posted by trying2fly View Post
                  https://youtu.be/OJvCPrfeobQ ,,,,,,,ck out this video Pauly on how I beat the cactus and high grass out here with my HawkSky. Works like a dream..If you want the plans,etc measurements,etc...let me know!!!
                  That's pretty cool there buddy. I Just couldn't see or understand exactly how the plane was launched. I've a friend that made something similar for a wing, but just uses the pvc with no bungee to launch. He just uses the angle of the pvc and the motor alone to get it in the air.

Comment

but I'm only able to hand launch it.
                    It's been nearly a year since this thread started. What have you been doing to launch this plane this past year? Looking back at this, the Hawksky is really not that different than any of the HobbyKing Bixlers, which are all hand launched and belly landed. If you're able to hand launch it, why not just take the wheels off altogether and launch/land it just like all the Bixler-like planes? Unless you have a physical limitation to repeated hand launches, this seems like the easiest solution.

Comment

Viper I do have some limitations as to a bad back and neck and its really hard for me to do it. I'm always looking for something to make it easier for me. I cant look up as in move my head up or left to right. I have to keep the aircraft out a little and lean back to keep view of the aircraft being flown. It does get tough, but what can I say, I love the hobby and have always had the love for aviation as all of us in this hobby. I have a friend that made something similar to tring2fly's that he uses for his wing. It works pretty good, but I'm sure it would need sort of system to launch the Hawksky.

Comment

I see. I fly regularly with an 80 year old friend, who has very bad shoulders. He won't fly alone due to his age and health concerns. This is a good thing in the sense that there is always someone around to throw his hand launchers into the air for him. A catapult is nice but that becomes one more item to have to pack and set up every time.

Comment

I used the Dynam Corsair wheels on one of mine and it did great on grass but I use them for an FPV platform now and hand launch.
                          TiredIron Aviation
                          Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Working...
                          X