Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2.6 meter class foamy gliders

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome,

Now that is the rub, she needs decent air. When I assess a ship I'’m looking at how she performs in less than ideal conditions.

Do you have a link to the Axi motor you mentioned? I assume it is one of those "can in a can" designs.
    I agree with you in that she needs a new motor. I too go into a bit more detail here after actually flying a RXL
    http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/...?topic=20999.0

If you are still in the market for a large foamy glider I have a detailed build of the 2.4mm Heron here.

Again welcome to Hobby Squawk

All the best
    Konrad/KJD/Aspirin

Comment

TXS Konrad. the axi motor is from Eprit models-part#2826-10 v2 long shaft. They were about 93.00 2 months ago.
      its a outrunner motor that they produced just for the rxl as a drop-in replacement. mine swings a 14x8 aeronaut prop on 3 cells.
      excellent climb rate now. 15-20 sec. to 900 ft!
      Discussion forum for RC radio control planes, helicopters, drones, batteries, electronics, and much more.

Comment

Found the motor, and I was in error. The motor is NOT a "can in the can" design, unlike the MVVS motor. I really like all that bearing support for the rotor! The rotor is supported at both ends. This helps a lot with the gyroscopic loads these larger props place on the shaft and rotor.
        http://www.espritmodel.com/axi-35-28...radian-xl.aspx

Per the OEM (AXI) there are four bearings set. Per the drawing there are actually 5 bearings, the small gray boxes (see attached). Love the large ring bearing. This adds a lot to the cost but it is worth it for rotor stability!
        For more detail on why the ring bearing is so good see this link.

Like that it also has a tail stub for a bearinged rear motor mount support

Normally I like to prop with more pitch (14x9.5, 13x11). But with the weight of the RXL that might not be the best course of action. Have you experimented with other props?

All the best,
        Konrad

P.S.
        Thanks for the heads up on the new Axi design. I'm actually giving these a good look for my higher valued gliders.
        Attached Files

Comment

YEAH THEY ARE A BIT PRICY BUT IM PRETTY SURE axis started the whole outrunner gig back in the days when sold by hobby lobby.
          on the long shaft v2 they also have # of cells and what the amp-draws are for3-4 cell. I upgraded the s.c. slightly to a 45 amp
          because static what-meter says 41 amps w/ the 14x8 suggested prop.

Comment

Originally posted by CUMICBOY View Post
            YEAH THEY ARE A BIT PRICY BUT IM PRETTY SURE axis started the whole outrunner gig back in the days when sold by hobby lobby.
            on the long shaft v2 they also have # of cells and what the amp-draws are for3-4 cell. I upgraded the s.c. slightly to a 45 amp
            because static what-meter says 41 amps w/ the 14x8 suggested prop.
            That might have been Torquman, Actro/Kohler way back when. But yes AXI (Pelican back then ?) and HL where early proponents of the outrunner.

As my old man said; Quality pays it does not cost.
            Or as Keith Shaw said when dealing with hobby stuff; Buy cheap buy twice.

Comment

YES SIR roger that/ although I do own my share of cheap motors. but all my e powered sailplanes are mostly e-flite 25s 870 kv swinging 13x7 props on 3-cells.

Comment

Boy this thread is awfull quiet/ Must be bad weather everywhere!

Comment

Originally posted by CUMICBOY View Post
                  Boy this thread is awfull quiet/ Must be bad weather everywhere!
                  It's been hovering around freezing temps around here, with snow everywhere. We've flown in temps as cold as 14F, slight breeze. We've been group flying our Radians lately, so it's not the "bad" weather. We also have a few XLs in our group but none have come out since last fall. They are all waiting for new ESCs (bigger) and pitchier folding props to give them a bit more punch. I think this XL has not turned out to be the sailplane that Horizon and many sailplane enthusiasts had hoped. It had a rough start with that episode involving the warning about the end user doing extra gluing in multiple areas of the plane. The wing assembly and disassembly is "fiddly". Those with regular Radians and even Mystique RES were up in the air while the XL was still on the table getting screwed together. Adding telemetry was not seamless as the stock telemetry interfered with the Lemon. Adding a Return Home module was "problematic" with the stock RX. Once we all got used to the XL, it was very apparent that it was a bit underpowered by comparison to other sailplanes. The extra 0.6 meter of wingspan didn't really look all that much bigger when in the air several hundred feet up and flying with regular Radians. The XL didn't really glide any better than the smaller one and certainly not anywhere near as good as the Mystique RES.
                  For those who have the Radian and the Mys. RES, the XL became ordinary very quickly and one questioned why it was ever developed. I'd bet that those who have multiple sailplanes, the XL sits at home the most. It's still a nice s.plane to have if that's all you have. They may have tried to replicate the Mys. RES in foam but it didn't quite make it. The Mystique is a hard target to hit.

Comment

I bought the Radio XL when it came out. I've got some flights on it but it wasn't what I was hoping for. I had eyeballed the Mystique but the price kept me away, I also really like the look of the Bird of Time.

I had a chance to pick up a Bird Of Time at our clubs auction a few months ago and didn't, I really wish I would have bid as it went for a really good price.

Comment

Originally posted by dkalwishky View Post
                      I bought the Radio XL when it came out. I've got some flights on it but it wasn't what I was hoping for. I had eyeballed the Mystique but the price kept me away, I also really like the look of the Bird of Time.

I had a chance to pick up a Bird Of Time at our clubs auction a few months ago and didn't, I really wish I would have bid as it went for a really good price.
                      Luckily, I bought my Mystique a while back when our dollar wasn't nearly so low. Yes, it was an expensive plane by the time I got it outfitted to fly but it has been a wonderful sailplane. I also bought a BoT. It flew "OK" and looked really nice in the air but the RES is still a much better sailplane. The BoT had a very fast glide and higher sink rate compared to the RES and Radians. Although it never did, it seemed like it was always on the verge of tip stall. The BoT has the same wingspan as the Mystique but a much shorter fuselage and I think that's what makes it perform a bit more poorly than the Mys. I sold it last year to a fellow who absolutely loved the looks of it. He took it to his parental home in Rio, Brazil, where it now soars with the big statue of Christ.
                      The XL, I think, was a great idea as a foamie. It just needed to have been slightly bigger, a bit better planned out, a bit lighter, more powerful and slimmed down some. It looks a bit porky.

Comment

YEAH I fly a electric bot arf and yes its heavy/70oz but the key to turning tight is to crank in some wash-out in the tips.
                        w/ the d-tube planking its tough to twist in the last 4" or so. you have to re-twist every 10 flights w/ the iron but it improves it greatly.The rxl flys
                        pretty good for me and I think because of the 1000 sq " wing and slightly undercambered really helps this airplane float like a heavily
                        ballasted paragon! Most other 3-meter ships in comparison at most only have about 900-1000sq" hence the fat chord of the rxl.

Comment

Working...
                        X