Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Volantex ASW 28

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volantex ASW 28

I love gliders...It's how I cut my teeth in the hobby. High starts, no motor/props...Just gliding on the wind hoping for thermals.

Always been a scale nerd...So ASW 28's have always peaked my interest with their sleek, streamlined lines, teardrop cockpit...Just love the look of those fiberglass T-Tails. This one came to my attention in recent months. Very reasonably priced PNP and everyone that had one raved about the overall quality and performance. So I had to snag one and I am glad I did.

The fuse is plastic and the tail and wings are EPO foam. Weird combo but it works. Upgraded the prop and ESC for a bit more "oomph" to get up to altitude at a tempo I prefer but otherwise this girl rocks out of the box. Here's a video using my Mobius HD V2 wide lens cam (which ROCKS btw!)...Great performance...

My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Really nice plane and nice vid. I don't have any scale sailplanes yet. I do enjoy the original Radian and last year I started flying the full house HK Aether 3.7. I love being able to catch a good thermal and fly until you are just tired of flying. 47 minutes is my personal best.

Comment

Very nice video Aros! I have been mostly into warbirds and such up until a couple of months ago when I went to an aerotow event at one of the local RC clubs. The glider bug must have bit me hard, because since then I bought the Conscendo and the FMS Fox 2.3 sailplanes! Love flying them too. I still enjoy the warbirds, but there is something very relaxing and satisfying about flying a glider and searching for a thermal.

Love that ASW28 of your too! Maybe MRC can open up their glider selection some and maybe include some of the DLG style gliders. I don't have one, but an tempted to try it too. Anyway, enjoy your glider, thanks for the video, and Merry Christmas to all of you at MRC!

Comment

Thanks guys! Twowingtj 47 minutes is fantastic! Must have been a nice thermal. It's a great feeling staying aloft that long with no motor/prop to help. Loneflier, once you get the bug, it's hard to shake. I too love warbirds but sailplanes just allows for such a unique and relaxing style of flying. I also have the Fly Fly ASW 28 I recently put together. That one is composite. Not quite as friendly and forgiving but still very fun. Merry Christmas!
        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Our field is surrounded by cornfields in the summer and they generate a lot of thermals on a warm day. We also have a lot of Hawks and Bald Eagles that frequent the area. So when you see the birds circling overhead, just go up where they are and your all set. Some of the guys at my field say "that's like watching paint dry". They just think that the plane stays up all by itself. It takes skill to read the conditions. Kicking back in a lawn chair and flying for 1/2hr+ IS fun.

Comment

It most definitely is fun! Those guys at your field shouldn't knock it until they try it. Something tells me once they did, they too would get the bug. Total stick and rudder flying. I once thermalled with a bald eagle...That was such a cool experience!
            My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

The birds seem to be fine with it as long as you are at the same altitude or lower. They tend to get a bit agitated if you get above them, especally with a 3.7 meter bird.

Comment

Yeah you're right...I didn't know that years ago and sure enough I got some eagles squawking at this "giant funny-looking white bird." :)
                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Hi I also have the ASW28 and love that plane, parts are a bit hard to come by so I did see the Kit-version on sale for $100 so I ordered it. I already had a spare Volentex motor.
                  I was interested to see what you used for a New Prop and ESC if you care to share that info. I usually stick to what they recommend for the battery...ESC...etc.
                  I like to fly near the Coast here in Maine to pick up some of the upper Winds at say 100ft. My Mobius cam is the standard lens. Have always wondered how well the Wide Angle
                  lens would appear on the Video. I also fly the Phoenix 2000 and the Phoenix 1600. Thanks for your any reply....Ron

Comment

Hi Ron, welcome to Hobby Squawk! I've enjoyed this sailplane so far but my stock motor died on me after about 5 flights or so. It could have been the prop and battery combo I went with I'm not sure.

I first flew stock on a 3S 2200. It was okay, but I felt it needed some horsepower under the hood so I ordered the 11x6 Graupner CAM prop to replace the stock blades and upgraded the ESC to a ZTW 45A, I then put a Admiral 4S 2500 LiPo in her...First few flights were great. Plenty of zip to get up to altitude quickly. Rarely would I hit full throttle. Most the time half was all I needed. Then about the fourth flight on this setup the motor made a terrible sound as I fired her up to hand toss so I took her home and the motor was shot. I think some bearings came loose, not exactly sure.

So I ordered a motor that was recommended by a guy in the RCG build thread as an upgrade that works great for him. It's a SunnySky X2820 Kv800 brushless motor. So I have the motor but unfortunately I am waiting on a custom motor mount for it since it doesn't align with the stock mount. The guy who recommended the motor print some custom mounts out with his 3D printer and sent me one. Unfortunately when it arrived somebody (he's from France) between France and Washington State opened up the envelope, took the mount out, resealed it, and shipped it to me with nothing in the envelope!

And to think there's not a thing that person can do with that mount! So I'm waiting for another one to be shipped to me. Once it is I can be back in action and I will update this thread about how the new motor is working with my upgrades. Hope this helped a bit!

Good luck with yours and Happy Landings! :Cool:
                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Over at ForceRC, they have an FMS AWS28 "on sale" ($119) and an FMS ASK23 for the same. I just got the ASW28. Sure looks like its using all of the same hardware as the RocHobby V-Tail...prop. motor. esc. The fuselages on these are foam with what looks like a CF support tube. Nice model, nice price...now for some nice weather! (just to be clear, I have no affiliation with ForceRC). Curious why these aren't at MotionRC.

Comment

I've had the FMS ASW 28...I enjoyed flying that one. As for why we don't carry them I really have no idea...I could ask Tom and see what he says...
                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

I have a Radian XL and while it's OK, it's nothing special. I'd buy one of these is Motion carried it.

I found the thread you started over on RCG back in 2012.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ASW-28-(2300mm)

Comment

I guess you can say I have a thing for ASW 28s. LOL
                            My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

very cool video,,you can actually see the wings bowing, which some pilots say its not a bad thing, it actually mimics a bird, a little reflex also helps from wings folding,,,not sure hwo true this is..
                              check this out
                              DLG GLiders

Comment

From what I heard is very heavy, a much better option is the Phoenix 2K

Comment

Hello asw 28 owners…. Because of pilot error I destroyed my conscendo today so I came home and ordered an asw28. Wanted something more scale that would thermal and since no phoenix’s were in stock I got an asw. Id appreciate any advice for the new asw owner…and I was thinking of putting my spektrum esc in the asw for all the telemetry? Thoughts? Thanks!

Comment

Mines setup for FPV with using a Cyclops Storm for OSD RTH ect. Not flown her much recently, but was a lot of fun when I did.

Comment

Thanks! I’ll check with out your video. I’ve read she’s much better slope soarer but here in Phoenix I’m helping for some good thermaling . Any thoughts on how well she thermals?

Comment

Maiden day flying asw 28 was great. As stated in multiple other places, recommended CG is too far forward. Anyone have recommendations on a good CG location?

thanks

Comment

Working...
                                        X