X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roc Hobby V-tail

I've had my Roc Hobby V-tail (from Motion RC) for over 2 years and it is a GREAT thermaling foamy. 'Plenty of power (for me) to get to altitude quickly, and very light so it will take advantage of any lift around. The large wingspan and light overall weight makes for some "tippy" flying when there's much of a breeze or turbulence but overall it is one of my favorite gliders. The fact that it uses the smaller 3S 1300mAh batteries allows me to use the same equipment as my Radian Pro (which was my very first RC plane about 5 years ago.) I still have my Radian Pro and it is a good performer, very "forgiving" in flight characteristics, but the V-tail will out-thermal it on any given day, and it LOOKS "way-cooler".

I use only a 6-channel receiver so I am not able to set up reflex or crow functions however the flaps are a big help when I encounter a thermal and want to stay in it, and the landing setting helps on days when there is little or no wind. I do have to circle to bleed off altitude and speed occasionally (I fly at a relatively small county park field) but I've learned to do that pretty well without hitting the trees! :-) 'Anyone else flown this beauty?

'Sorry everyone...I am new to this forum and have now seen other comments regarding this plane from at least a year (or more) ago. I may be slow but at least I'm OLD. The V-tail is indeed a great plane and I have had no problems launching it (about half to 2/3 throttle) or flying it. Of course turning sharp on a downwind leg can make for a stall...same as most gliders. The more wind the more tendency to stall. I had to add 1/4 oz. of weight to end of the tail to obtain the recommended CG point and it is "right on" for this plane. 'Have had to replace a couple wing servos over the course of around 2 years, the prop assembly, and also fashion a "skid" for the fuselage because the wheel assembly gave out after about a year (and a few hard landings I admit.) I would recommend this plane to anyone looking for a larger glider that's easy to fly.

Comment

This is on my short list of possible gliders. I'm wondering, though, the description indicates an EC3 connection to the ESC whereas the video shows a T connector and most of the other Roc Hobby planes appear to have T connectors. Can you tell me what you got?

Comment

Hi C. Roger and N4RF, welcome to Hobbysquawk! The RocHobby V-Tail Glider currently has a T-connector in it.

I have owned several of this same glider over the past three years. It is a solid performer, on 3s 1300-2200. I prefer the 3s 1600. Excellent flying characteristics all around. I would like maybe a little more climbing authority and roll rate, but other than that, I have no complaints. One tip though, it to clearly mark which wing peg goes in the front and which goes in the back. They are different lengths. Also, I have test flown the plane with just one of the two wing pegs, and I don't notice any difference in how the aircraft handles.
        Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Thanks, appreciate the response. They should probably update the description on line. I have a local guy that can solder an EC3 connection for me so this shouldn't be an issue but am still weighing the Radian Pro versus this one and wanted to have all the info.

Thanks and Merry Christmas

Comment

'No need to have a different connector soldered onto the ESC...just use a standard "adapter" that fits whatever your battery has. My V-tail came with an EC3 connector so I just got an EC3 to Deans connector (which many batteries, including the Admiral from Motion RC, come with.) I use the 3S 1300 mAh batteries (again) because they fit my Radian Pro as well, and are a bit lighter than a 1600...but maybe I wouldn't need the 1/4 oz. tail weight???

Regarding the Radian Pro, it is easy to fly and is a good model to "start" with if you've never had a motorized glider. The Roc Hobby V-tail flyies faster, needs a little bit more skill to manage, and would be a good upgrade after learning on the Radian Pro. BTW...I flew on a simulator for 3 months before attempting to fly the Radian Pro (but crashed on the initial flight because I gave it too much power during launch and it looped too close to the ground.) Always learn from your mistakes!

Comment

On aside...I believe I've talked to you (Alpha) on the phone before. Thank you and your other staff members for being responsive to your customers...you get the "ten" (out of ten) rating from me.

Comment

Originally posted by C. Roger View Post
                'Regarding the Radian Pro, it is easy to fly and is a good model to "start" with if you've never had a motorized glider. The Roc Hobby V-tail flyies faster, needs a little bit more skill to manage, and would be a good upgrade after learning on the Radian Pro. BTW...I flew on a simulator for 3 months before attempting to fly the Radian Pro (but crashed on the initial flight because I gave it too much power during launch and it looped too close to the ground.) Always learn from your mistakes!
                Thanks for the input. The Radian had some pretty negative reviews recently based on some QC issues out of the factory. It still maintains a fairlly good rating but not as good as this one. It does seem to be more advanced, though.

Comment

RE the Radian Pro...I wrote the wrong info yesterday. My Radian Pro came with the EC3 connector, not the V-tail which had a "Deans" type connector. AND...increasing the size and weight of the battery from 1300mAh to 1600mAh on the V-tail would require more tail weight, not less. 'Don't know where my mind was! I did get an EC3 to Deans adaptor which I leave on the Radian.

Yes, the Radian Pro has a few issues, mainly with fuselage stiffness near the tail and the angle that the elevator is set at the factory. One can add carbon rods to the fuse and also change the elevator angle fairly easily...but if you're not into competition and just want to learn to fly it is a good plane to start with, especially the PNP model. The design of the props/spinner also keeps dirt/sand out of the prop pins which is great when landing. The V-tail oftentimes gets grit in the prop base holes so they need to be taken off and cleaned between flights to allow the props to fold easily.

I also had an FMS ASW 28 foamie that I was only able to fly a couple times before crashing it irreparably. I believe I needed to give it more throttle AND throw it pretty hard on launch since the wings were so narrow. It was a good-looking plane however the Multiplex Solius is easier to launch and fly...and can do some aerobatics.

Comment

I just finished assembling my 2nd ROC V-Tail after totaling my 1st one last year after having the ESC burn out & losing all control. I really like the V-Tail & it flies & glides well, although not quite as good as my orig. Parkzone Radian. The flaps are extremely effective when landing & I found that when getting into a decent thermal, about 10% flaps really helps with lift. I usually fly w/2200's but when spring gets here, I'm going to experiment with some 1300 & 1800's I have. I had to add 3/4 oz. to the rear of the fuse to get the perfect 75mm CG. I did to the V-Tail as I did to my Radian & painted the bottom of the starboard wing & v-tail flat black that makes for so much better visual & orientation. Pics attached.

Denny
                    *** \"A man\'s word is his honor....without honor there is nothing.\" ***
                    *** I have no hesitation to kill nor reservation to die for the Flag & Constitution of the USA. ***

Comment

There's not a lot of action/responses for the ROC V-Tail, so I'll renew it. Mainly since I find the V-Tail to be a superb FPV platform since my interest in FPV has really grown since last year. Been doing a lot of homework/research to get familiarized with the FPV world & all the associated parameters. Somehow, I really feel like being immersed in a flight where you are actually "onboard" with the VTX on the aircraft & a pair of goggles while sitting in your favorite chair on the ground. Anyway, I'm going to post & provide pics on the FPV Forum of my beginnings to convert the ROC V-Tail & the mods that are quite easy. I found the cockpit hatch to be a great size to fit the tiny components. Anyway, check out my ROC V-Tail FPV thread on the FPV forum.

Denny
                      *** I have no hesitation to kill nor reservation to die for the Flag & Constitution of the USA. ***

Comment

I will be rebuilding my RocV when new fuse ships. Recked on the 3rd time out. Seamed that the rudder was backwards on the first 2trips. I fly aileron priority so I let the rudder be. Well today I reversed the rudder and received valuable XPs. Hit the throttle, tossed the bird, and slammed into the ground. Short day at the flying field. Definitely need to do some more learning on v tail mixing

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                          I will be rebuilding my RocV when new fuse ships. Recked on the 3rd time out. Seamed that the rudder was backwards on the first 2trips. I fly aileron priority so I let the rudder be. Well today I reversed the rudder and received valuable XPs. Hit the throttle, tossed the bird, and slammed into the ground. Short day at the flying field. Definitely need to do some more learning on v tail mixing
                          Hey Russell,
                          There is no RUDDER on the ROC Hobby V-Tail. The V-Tail is setup as ELEVON on your radio's Tail Type. You need to provide a bit more info, on your Tx to determine your best settings. The ELEVON setting on a computer radio for correct movement is that the (2) ELEVONS actually move the opposite of the AILERONS for RUDDER movement in the correct direction. The ELEVONS(both) are still the same as the ELEVATOR with both UP ELEVONS=NOSE UP & both DN ELEVONS=NOSE DOWN. Pic attached of my radio Tail Type setting.

Denny

Comment

Been having issues with my V-tail. Had a short in the EC3 connection on the ESC side that caused a loss of signal and crash. This is a brand new plane. The wing pins bottom out on the top wing and don't secure the wings by snapping into the second or bottom wing. The pins keep coming out. I had to grind the collars back with a dremel so the pins drop further in and snap into the bottom wings.

Comment

Can some recommend a upgrade metal spinner and prop assembly for this plane mine broke on first flight today.
                              thanks Jimmy

Comment

Broke backplate

Comment

Working...
                                X