X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-flite Ascent 450

I fell in love with this electric sailplane years ago. Loved it's size (easy to transport, easy to walk it up to the top of the hill in my neighborhood and chuck it in the air for stress-free soaring), quality and looks. My first one was lost at the Ocean. I was flying it on the beach and took my eyes off of it for literally less than 5 seconds to look at something on my radio, looked back and it was gone. My family and I looked everywhere and none of us could find it. I was super bummed. I got a replacement for Christmas one year and had that one for some time and I sold it when I was trying to fund another project.

Little did I know at the time that E-flite would discontinue the model so finding another new one would prove to be an exercise in futility. I tried RC Groups Classifieds with little success. Most were beat up or in the red color scheme (I just love the blue one). I had all but given up when last weekend wouldn't you know I found a NIB blue Ascent 450 at the Monroe Hobby Expo, ready for me to take her home! Got a screaming deal too ($160 bucks BNF which included a Spektrum rx and 3S battery)!

So I'm a happy little camper once again. Took her for a flight in my neighborhood after work. Put the Mobius wide lens cam just aft of the canopy to keep the CG happy. Simple tail flyer (no ailerons or flaps) right stick, easy peesy. When I don't feel like stressing out flying one of my giant scale warbirds or jets, this is a great way to get some soaring in. Anyone else ever have one of these?

My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

I just flew a new-to-me Ascent I got in a craigslist haul. It has the most graceful attributes. I have a few other electric sailplanes at this size, but e-flite did a superb job with this one. I handed the box over to someone who had never flown sailplanes - any sailplanes, at all - before, and he flew great from the first minute he had the controls. Very pleased, got it for a song, and all I really had to do was add a Rx and it flew out of my hand. Can't recommend enough. Thanks for the share.

Comment

Thanks for posting and welcome to Hobby Squawk! Yes I always feel like the Ascent is one of the best kept secrets in RC gliders. So unfortunate that they discontinued this model. I had a crash two months back because I didn't check the elevator control horn for coming loose and it completely separated at altitude causing a wicked flutter and rapid nose-first descent. Landed in a field like a lawn dart. Motor and props were toast. Luckily I had a spare folding prop/spinner but finding the replacement motor was quite the chore. Finally found ONE (in fact their very LAST one in stock forever) at Grave's RC and as luck would have it when I received the motor it was damaged. They took care of me and I ended up ordering the Park 450/890Kv with a 3.2mm shaft that they were nice enough to put on for me (it comes with a 4mm shaft), so I am awaiting it with great anticipation as it has been killing me to see it hanging collecting dust all summer!

So the moral of the story is do your best not to crash her. Finding spare parts is next to impossible. Make sure those wooden control horns on the elevator and rudder are SECURELY glued. I put epoxy on mine so those won't be going anywhere in the future.

Have fun with her!
      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Nice video. Seeing this topic reminded me that I have one of these stored somewhere. I need to check it out and get it flying!

Comment

Originally posted by Loneflier View Post
          Nice video. Seeing this topic reminded me that I have one of these stored somewhere. I need to check it out and get it flying!
          IF you would be compelled to sell it to me I would pay a very good price... Just saying. :)

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post

IF you would be compelled to sell it to me I would pay a very good price... Just saying. :)
            Let me find it, and I can take a few pictures of it and send to you. Then you can decide if you are interested.

Comment

Sounds great!
              My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

This was a flight of my Ascent last weekend in Netart's Bay, Oregon. Gorgeous beach and ocean views. Took it with my RunCam 2. Perfect electric sailplane for a trip to the beach! I have two extras on standby in case something happens to this one. They are incredibly hard to find these days having been discontinued for several years now.

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Working...
                X