You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freewing 90mm F-22 Raptor - Official Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Flanker271 View Post
    Thanks for all the inputs guys, it sounded like I'm screwed. My entire fleet of 14 planes and 22 batteries all use Deans.
    Don't dread it too much, man. I've changed my entire fleet several times. Deans > EC3 > XT60. And it seems every jet comes with EC5 so I always have to change them to XT90 (I prefer not to use adapters).
    Just set aside a few hrs on a quiet day, put on some music, and get to it.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Flanker271 View Post
      Thanks for all the inputs guys, it sounded like I'm screwed. My entire fleet of 14 planes and 22 batteries all use Deans. Most of them are 6S applications. Time to convert some of the planes that I most cared about into EC5.
      Don't feel too bad, four years ago I was in the same position where all of my planes were using Deans Ultra. But most of those were 4S setups or less. Once I started getting the 6S jets, I began using the EC5 connectors. I still use Deans for everything 4S and below, but EC5 for everything above that. One advantage to converting is that every time you add in an adapter, you're loosing a little in the power transfer. And since all Freewing jets come standard with EC5, there's no converting connectors.
      Pat

      Comment


      • I just jumped on the 6s PNP bandwagon .. And now the wait begins .. I have been a part of every preorder with the exception of the F4 .. This will be my 1st 90mm ..

        Comment


        • What's interesting is I've converted many of my 6S Freewing jets and 6S Admiral batteries from EC5 to Deans in the past, now I'm going to undo my own carnage.

          Comment


          • On a different note I must say I was impressed with Motion's handling of warranty claims . I preordered the L39 , and had an issue with a faulty servo , put in a ticket , no big deal , had a replacement in less than a week.. Fast forward to this past weekend and wanted to put the fuel tanks on and realized I was missing one of the tanks .. I was honest in my contact and said I may have lost it , I wasn't sure ..since there are no pics on spare parts , I wasn't sure what to order. To my surprise I had an email that a set was being sent out to me ! This simple gesture is one of the reasons I keep ordering from MRC !

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Felixs10 View Post
              On a different note I must say I was impressed with Motion's handling of warranty claims . I preordered the L39 , and had an issue with a faulty servo , put in a ticket , no big deal , had a replacement in less than a week.. Fast forward to this past weekend and wanted to put the fuel tanks on and realized I was missing one of the tanks .. I was honest in my contact and said I may have lost it , I wasn't sure ..since there are no pics on spare parts , I wasn't sure what to order. To my surprise I had an email that a set was being sent out to me ! This simple gesture is one of the reasons I keep ordering from MRC !
              This is why I will always buy from MRC. Not only is their customer service top notch, the products they sell are also high quality and reasonably priced.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Felixs10 View Post
                I just jumped on the 6s PNP bandwagon .. And now the wait begins .. I have been a part of every preorder with the exception of the F4 .. This will be my 1st 90mm ..
                I am actually on the opposite end. I have never pre-ordered a plane. I am just that weird guy that hates paying for something then waiting for it to show up down the road. I always wait till they are in stock and grab one up. BUT, I couldn't risk missing out on the first shipment on these so this was my first ever pre-order! Can't wait till it gets here!!!

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Flanker271 View Post
                  Thanks for all the inputs guys, it sounded like I'm screwed. My entire fleet of 14 planes and 22 batteries all use Deans. Most of them are 6S applications. Time to convert some of the planes that I most cared about into EC5.
                  See my "winter is coming post." Ohio winters can't be much better than ours. You'll have plenty of time to transition everything

                  Comment


                  • alpha and james, we fly off grass. grass that forces us to let the humidity decide if we pack jets or not. do you have any experience in grass? And which setup (6s or 8s) works beat in grass?

                    Joe

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by paladin View Post
                      alpha and james, we fly off grass. grass that forces us to let the humidity decide if we pack jets or not. do you have any experience in grass? And which setup (6s or 8s) works beat in grass?

                      Joe
                      Hi Joe, I posted this on the previous page to someone who asked a similar question:

                      Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post

                      Yes, the F-22 can operate on short grass fields like the F-4. The F-22's taller single nose wheel cuts through grass easier than the F-4's smaller double wheel, while the F-4's main wheels give a wider stance than the F-22's narrower main wheels.

                      You can see a takeoff and landing on grass at the end of the flight review video that James posted earlier:



                      Of course, "grass" is subjective term and varies per user, so another way we try to address the question is to ask if you have any of our other 80mm or 90mm jets? The F-22 uses tall wheels like the F-4's mains, which coupled with the F-22's light wing loading and very small naca aux inlets make it one of our most capable 90mm EDFs to operate on grass. Basically if you can't takeoff with this stock 6s F-22, your grass probably isn't suitable for any of our 90mm or 80mm EDFs. By contrast, if you are operating 80mm or 90mm EDFs from Freewing off of your grass now, then it's safe to say you won't have any more of a problem with the stock 6s F-22.

                      8s power will increase your static thrust which for any jet will get it going faster, sooner. But I'd still refer to my previous statements about the stock 6s F-22's capabilities.


                      Originally posted by JLambCWU View Post

                      Could we get you to measure out the dimensions of the exhaust nozzles on a small diagram and get the exhaust opening measurements as well?

                      I’m sure others like myself would appreciate it.

                      thanks!

                      J

                      Each exhaust nozzle measures ~66mm x 34mm, with slightly rounded corners.


                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by paladin View Post
                        alpha and james, we fly off grass. grass that forces us to let the humidity decide if we pack jets or not. do you have any experience in grass? And which setup (6s or 8s) works beat in grass?

                        Joe
                        Hey Joe, Some of the product vids show the F-22 flying from and back to grass. I'm confidend and have the 6S pre-ordered. I know it will fly easily from our field. Esp the way Clark keeps the grass cut short. Hard to get him off that mower.

                        Comment


                        • In regards to the eBay and Amazon adapters I have bought many, I cut off the shrink wrap on a few and the actual connection between the two types is about 50% the size, or gauge, of a EC5. I only use them in 3s applications

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by fieldofdreamsflyer View Post
                            To old and bad back
                            I realized right after I posted that I would need an age waiver to join too. I was just kidding anyway I say that to kids working crappy jobs

                            Comment


                            • Sigh....Alas.
                              Turbocharging this model has not been recommended by its creator. I see it going on at that other forum. To each his or her own. To me that's what the F-5 etc is for. Mine will remain stock on 6S.

                              Pete

                              Comment


                              • Howdy, Not sure if this has been mentioned before. But is it possible to get a list of the colours/paint numbers for the F-22? I know the likes of Lowe's and Bunnings can do colour matching, my own experience however its touch and go if its actually right. But like in a plastic model kits having the paint numbers etc would be handy for things like repairs, or painting over the decals to fit new ones...Food for thought. Or if anyone knows/has experience removing these types of markings without taking the paint with it. That would help too.

                                Comment


                                • It’s listed in the first few pages of this thread

                                  Comment


                                  • So will the 8s perform like the 6s if you just use a 6s in it? Thought being I get the 8s and use my 6s batteries when the 8s ones are drained... thanks..

                                    Comment


                                    • Originally posted by C17loadmaster View Post
                                      It’s listed in the first few pages of this thread
                                      Ah Jolly good, Thank you sir!

                                      Comment


                                      • Originally posted by andrew_flyguy View Post

                                        Don't dread it too much, man. I've changed my entire fleet several times. Deans > EC3 > XT60. And it seems every jet comes with EC5 so I always have to change them to XT90 (I prefer not to use adapters).
                                        Just set aside a few hrs on a quiet day, put on some music, and get to it.
                                        That is what I do. I buy XT90S's off of eBay by the case!

                                        Comment


                                        • Originally posted by wcessna View Post
                                          So will the 8s perform like the 6s if you just use a 6s in it? Thought being I get the 8s and use my 6s batteries when the 8s ones are drained... thanks..
                                          No. It will perform poorly in the configuration you stated. That would not be recommended at all.

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X