X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by yf22raptor View Post
    Are any of you guys having issues with your blue Box unfortunately starsceam went down on the maiden flight 11 plus witnesses On the flight line at Apllo feild did all pre flight checks and
    Range check everything checked out as she rolled down the runway pulled elevator plane Lifted off did a slight roll to the right Went inverted Tried to compensate with left ail and rudder no response plane crashed hard .

​​​Was using DX20 radio and a brand new 8010 spectrum receiver been flying 15 years fly expensive turbines with this radio and telemetry recievers never an issue.

rest in pieces
    Do you have any data logs, to find out the real issue?

Im thinking about bypassing the box all together.

Comment

• None , hit pavement everthing destroyed ...nothing on the telemetry either....

Comment

• Sorry Bro. it happens though....

Comment

• Sure am sorry. Luisito had the same thing happen and had the 8010 receiver. He suspected the BEC but really doesn't know.

Comment

• Originally posted by yf22raptor View Post
            Are any of you guys having issues with your blue Box unfortunately starsceam went down on the maiden flight 11 plus witnesses On the flight line at Apllo feild did all pre flight checks and
            Range check everything checked out as she rolled down the runway pulled elevator plane Lifted off did a slight roll to the right Went inverted Tried to compensate with left ail and rudder no response plane crashed hard .

​​​Was using DX20 radio and a brand new 8010 spectrum receiver been flying 15 years fly expensive turbines with this radio and telemetry recievers never an issue.

rest in pieces
            YF22, so sorry to hear about you loss. You stated that your occurrence happened after take off. Did you raise gear and flaps before losing radio signal?

Everytime I hear of a radio related crash, Im reminded of the time my BVM Bobcat turbine went in. In my case, she rolled inverted, I regained control long enough to roll back over but it went back inverted and I never regained control. $7000 down the tubes. Another aircraft was lost 6 months later. In both cases I never knew the cause. For me, it was time for a radio change. That was 5-6 years ago and have not had a radio failure since.

I now have logging stored on Tx for all my models. The more they cost, the more I’m willing to invest in esc or telemetry modules to get the most points of data I can.

It was expensive to make this switch but I’m a lifer when it comes to rc and can’t imagine not flying, and with the best radio link and data available. I can stomach a dumb thumb mistake, but unresolved radio gear issues just get my goat.

I wish you the best with #2.

John
            Freewing A10, F4, F22, Sebart Avanti S mini

Comment

• I have heard some folks having brown out issues if they try to raise/lower gear and flaps at the same time, causing a temporary voltage spike. Personally I never do both at the same time. Not saying that was the case here, just something I have taken notice of.
              Aros.MotionRC
              Motion RC Website/Advertising
              Self-Admitted Warbirdaholic

My RC videos on YouTube:
              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDZ..._bdGEJBmtV7YUw

“My soul is in the sky.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                I have heard some folks having brown out issues if they try to raise/lower gear and flaps at the same time, causing a temporary voltage spike. Personally I never do both at the same time. Not saying that was the case here, just something I have taken notice of.
                I've never done them at the same time myself but definitely not doing it now. If that's all it takes for a brown out, maybe it would be worth a bigger bec or, as Derek suggested, adding a plug capacitor. Just noticed they are out of stock. Gonna add a couple on my next MRC order if available, along with an F-16 main wheel and maybe an F-14 light set per Jeremy if I can't dig out enough from crashed planes. CRASHED PLANES!!! Did I say say that out loud??? I meant er other peoples crashed planes.

Comment

• Come on Brad it's okay. We all belong to the "If You Ain't Crashin' You Ain't Flyin'" Club.

I might have to snag some of those capacitors myself when we get them back in stock.
                  Aros.MotionRC

My RC videos on YouTube:

“My soul is in the sky.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Derek.motionrc View Post
                    Hey guys ! Here is what I started installing into all my planes and helicopters about 2 years ago and I have not had any issues with brown outs or other small electrical glitches. Originally they only come with a hobby eagle gyro but like I said I have them in everything now and cheep insurance. https://www.motionrc.com/products/ho...plug-capacitor
                    Hey Derek, do you just plug the capacitor into an empty channel n the receiver or what?

Comment

Come on Brad it's okay. We all belong to the "If You Ain't Crashin' You Ain't Flyin'" Club.

I might have to snag some of those capacitors myself when we get them back in stock.
                      Just a weak attempt at humor....

Comment

I have heard some folks having brown out issues if they try to raise/lower gear and flaps at the same time, causing a temporary voltage spike. Personally I never do both at the same time. Not saying that was the case here, just something I have taken notice of.
                        Something to keep in mind...there is about a 5 second delay after activating gear up before they start moving. Perhaps it is worth activating flaps first to prevent both functions pulling on the bec at the same time. Weird, my F4 and A10 do not have a delay with gear.

Comment

• Wow so sad to see another crash. Just a note on what I experienced on my crash. The first in flight failure did occur when I was bringing the gear and flaps then cleared up but then it failed on the final approach long after both were deployed. See the video: https://youtu.be/R-i8kLLWEJI

I’m still putting it together and I’m also putting a new one together but with full telemetry using a Mikado Neo, Scorpion Tribunus 130 Amp ESC and I won’t be flying without one of these backup guards:

Comment

• That's a good value. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post

Hey Derek, do you just plug the capacitor into an empty channel n the receiver or what?
                              You can plug a cap pack into any spare port, control board, Y'd to any rx function, etc. They do have their limitations though, based on size. Check out the supercapacitor buffer unit made by R2 prototyping. The best I've used when going this route. There is only so much "juice" stored in a cap pack though. I have used them all with excellent results (scorpion bug, optipower, R2, high end esc with 2S Lipo as backup, stand alone LiFe pack and kontronik esc's with their bullet proof internal bec.

I guess the key here is to have some sort of back up in the event the single source of power to rx is interrupted or strained beyond its limits.

Comment

• Originally posted by john2kx View Post

You can plug a cap pack into any spare port, control board, Y'd to any rx function, etc. They do have their limitations though, based on size. Check out the supercapacitor buffer unit made by R2 prototyping. The best I've used when going this route. There is only so much "juice" stored in a cap pack though. I have used them all with excellent results (scorpion bug, optipower, R2, high end esc with 2S Lipo as backup, stand alone LiFe pack and kontronik esc's with their bullet proof internal bec.

I guess the key here is to have some sort of back up in the event the single source of power to rx is interrupted or strained beyond its limits.
                                Thanks for that john. I appreciate it.

Comment

• Has anyone had problems with the BEC shorting out? I had it smoke on me yesterday. Unfortunately it took the receiver, nose gear retract, and the nose gear steering with it. I'm just looking to find out if anyone else had this problem. I'm flying the 8s version. I've had about 10 flights on it. It was doing wonderful until Thursday when I as putting up the gear to store the plane. Any insight would be appreciated.

Comment

• Originally posted by roys001 View Post
                                    Has anyone had problems with the BEC shorting out? I had it smoke on me yesterday. Unfortunately it took the receiver, nose gear retract, and the nose gear steering with it. I'm just looking to find out if anyone else had this problem. I'm flying the 8s version. I've had about 10 flights on it. It was doing wonderful until Thursday when I as putting up the gear to store the plane. Any insight would be appreciated.
                                    Steve, lucky it was on the table, not in flight. I replaced mine in the 8s phantom just because it looked a little undersized to me. Probably just a bad one in your case, but this is the one I replaced it with and I have many of these and they have all worked well (so far)
                                    Wow, I glossed over the part about the receiver and gear going poof too, call Motion, they just fixed a similar problem I had with an esc.

Comment

• Main gear outer door 3DPup files are now available at this link.
                                      Aros.MotionRC

My RC videos on YouTube:

“My soul is in the sky.”

Comment

Main gear outer door 3DPup files are now available at this link.
                                        Cool! Been waiting for those. We have already reached the point where the mods are going to take longer to do than the build. Love to see a future version with the upgrades included as an option. I'd gladly pay the extra instead of going all over the place to get them from different folks generous enough to share.

Comment

• The popularity of these free 3DPup files will go a long way in Freewing determining the feasibility of creating these as upgrade molds for purchase in the future. So download away!
                                          Aros.MotionRC

My RC videos on YouTube:

“My soul is in the sky.”

Comment

Working...
                                          X