X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some input.........

Hey guys. Need your thoughts on this. I recently purchased the FW 70mm Hawk. However, I am not comfortable trying it yet due to the following reasons:

I have been building & flying fuel prop jobs off and on for 25+ years. The last 2 planes I actively flew were the Midwest AT-6 Texan and the Sig King Kobra (Rossi .61 w/ tuned pipe, 100mph+). Due to life, divorce, jobs, moving and so on, I have been away from flying completely since 2010. I have however remained a builder and kept my hands in R/C hobby but now I'm looking to start back flying again.

Before I try the Hawk, I'm thinking about getting a 64mm edf to knock the rust off with. I know most of the 64's are not that great, but can you guys tell me which one would be good to start with? From the reviews there doesn't seem to be a really "good one". I have been looking at the F-22 & the F-18, they seem to have decent reviews.

Ideas? Thoughts? Suggestions?

https://www.motionrc.com/collections...ts_only%3D64mm

https://www.motionrc.com/collections...ts_only%3D64mm
    www.23T.weebly.com

I know of several guys that have purchased the Freewing Rebel as their first EDF.
    Seems to be a decent trainer/sport jet, especially for the price!

I never flew one myself, but the couple I have seen remind my of my (deceased & now discontinued) Habu 2, which was a fun & forgiving EDF, especially for its size.

Also, since you've been away from the sticks for awhile, any of the currently available RC simulators would be a great way to shake off the rust!!
    I was in a similar situation a few years ago, and my Real Flight sim definitely help kick-start the muscle memory back to life

Comment

Originally posted by Chief58D View Post
      I know of several guys that have purchased the Freewing Rebel as their first EDF. Seems to be a decent trainer/sport jet, especially for the price!
      I never flew one myself, but the couple I have seen remind my of my (deceased & now discontinued) Habu 2, which was a fun & forgiving EDF, especially for its size.
      Nice, do you have any knowledge of the 4S version of the F/A-18 64mm?
      www.23T.weebly.com

Comment

Unfortunately, no - the only 4s EDF's I've seen first hand were the Rebel and Habu 2 (man, I miss that jet!! )

You might be able to find a few more reviews about that one over on RCG -
        But you might have to wade thru a bit of unrelated quagmire to get there!!

Comment

Unfortunately, no - the only 4s EDF's I've seen first hand were the Rebel and Habu 2 (man, I miss that jet!! )

You might be able to find a few more reviews about that one over on RCG -
          But you might have to wade thru a bit of unrelated quagmire to get there!!
          Yes, I did find some reviews and they were all pretty good. Is there any real difference between the Stinger and the Rebel?
          www.23T.weebly.com

Comment

I believe the small Stingers are all 4-channel, hand-launch or optional fixed gear only.
            The Rebel is a bit bigger, but also has full retracts and flaps.

The big Stinger is a completely different 90mm aerobatic beast!

Comment

I believe the small Stingers are all 4-channel, hand-launch or optional fixed gear only.
              The Rebel is a bit bigger, but also has full retracts and flaps.

The big Stinger is a completely different 90mm aerobatic beast!
              I'm really looking for something that is decent that is CHEAP as this is my first EDF so, if I total it, I won't pass out.
              I'm gonna take another look at the Rebel 64mm

www.23T.weebly.com

Comment

Sometimes the reviews at MRC are useful in reviewing a jet that catches your eye. Realflight sim. is your best bet in warming back up, as it has a few jets and some high power prop planes that will test your finger skill. Some of the 64mm jets are on the small size, so be prepared to keep it close as they get very small really quick. The rebel or maybe small stinger might work for you.

Comment

Originally posted by RMatteson View Post
                  Sometimes the reviews at MRC are useful in reviewing a jet that catches your eye. Realflight sim. is your best bet in warming back up, as it has a few jets and some high power prop planes that will test your finger skill. Some of the 64mm jets are on the small size, so be prepared to keep it close as they get very small really quick. The rebel or maybe small stinger might work for you.
                  Thanks Rick. I have been wondering about how easy these 64 size edf's are to loose in flight. My vision is sure not what it used to be.
                  www.23T.weebly.com

Comment

The new Eflite Viper EDF is supposed to be a 1st EDF. All the flyers where i fly recommend it for 1st EDF, they say the rebel too. If you are confortable with the likes of an F4U corsair, then they say a freewing F-86 is a good 1st EDF too.

Comment

Anything with a lot of wing area or a straight wing (vs swept wing) is going to be a easier to fly. Also, larger planes in general are easier to fly compared to their smaller counterparts, however, gyros and other stabilizer tech is closing that gap. If you want to start 64/70mm I would look at the Freewing 64mm F22, 64mm A-10, 64mm Lippisch, and 70mm Rebel. The Dynam Turbo jet is also a fun EDF and very easy to fly. The 90mm Venom and 90mm F22 are also very easy to fly, but they are on the higher end of the price spectrum.

Comment

Jets in general have much less area to "see" when in flight, especially when downwind or on final so if your eyesight isn't great, they can be pretty tough to see. I recently bought an FMS 800mm Corsair to fly at the soccer field after work and have found that it takes much of the same technique to land as the Hawk, if not a bit harder. It's small, quick on 3S, and the PNP is less than $100. It's also pretty easy to see in sunshine or clouds.

+1 on the Eflight Viper as well. Not from personal experience but from what I've witnessed at our flying field. One of our pilots recently stepped up from the Viper to the 70mm Yak and is doing great! The Viper looks very tame and easy to land. May be difficult to see in different conditions though but it should be slow enough to keep in pretty close.

Hope this helps! And once you start flying the Hawk you will be very happy to have bought it! It's an amazing EDF and is the most locked-in plane out of the box I have ever owned!

Comment

Originally posted by icepirate3 View Post
                          Jets in general have much less area to "see" when in flight, especially when downwind or on final so if your eyesight isn't great, they can be pretty tough to see. I recently bought an FMS 800mm Corsair to fly at the soccer field after work and have found that it takes much of the same technique to land as the Hawk, if not a bit harder. It's small, quick on 3S, and the PNP is less than $100. It's also pretty easy to see in sunshine or clouds.

+1 on the Eflight Viper as well. Not from personal experience but from what I've witnessed at our flying field. One of our pilots recently stepped up from the Viper to the 70mm Yak and is doing great! The Viper looks very tame and easy to land. May be difficult to see in different conditions though but it should be slow enough to keep in pretty close.

Hope this helps! And once you start flying the Hawk you will be very happy to have bought it! It's an amazing EDF and is the most locked-in plane out of the box I have ever owned!
                          Awesome info guys. Thanks. I know some on here have also said the 80mm F-86 is a good first EDF. Any additional thoughts on that one?
                          www.23T.weebly.com

Comment

+1 Eflite 70mm Viper
                            Easy to fly,alot of fun

Comment

Originally posted by CVA59 View Post

Awesome info guys. Thanks. I know some on here have also said the 80mm F-86 is a good first EDF. Any additional thoughts on that one?
                              Cant go wrong with the F-86, LOVE HER. You will need to move the esc back a bit to get her CG correct. There is a video out there on balancing. Basically you set her on her gear and gently push the tail to the deck it should barley stay in they high AOA on the ground. Then with the most gentle bump she should tip back on her nose gear!

Also pay attention to the elevator settings at neutral.
                              Current Hanger: Flight line 1600mm Spit ( Clipped ) FMS 1400mm 109, Durafly 109, Eflite P-47, Eflite PT-17, UMX Pitts, UMX Timber, Twisted Hobby Extra, Extreme Flight EDGE, FREEWING, A-4, Avanti, A-10 , F4. Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, H9 Corsair, Ziroli Hellcat. Jeti DS16 Carbon /Spektrum DX8
                              Just arrived: Freewing F-14
                              Currently in cart with finger on the button ;-) ....... F-22 Me262 L-39, T-45 oh. and 2 more F-4's

Comment

I personally have only flown the 64mm and it's a blast. I would recommend this to start, otherwise the Rebel 70mm as previously discussed. For your first 80+mm EDF I think it'll depend on your risk appetite. I recently graduated to the A4, F15, and A10, and can honestly say the A10 floats like a trainer. I think the biggest obstacle is knowing and ignoring there is $800+ in the air.

Just get comfortable with the Rebel first. It's really a great jet and still is a blast for me to fly! I think an "easy" first larger EDF would be the A10, even the F86, but keep in mind, this new F22 may very well be the ticket for you based on its flight characteristics!

Comment

Again, like always here at HS, the best info. Thank guys!!!!

Can you guys elaborate on what I saw in a video about the 86, the guy said be sure to use high rates on the elevator when landing? Is that always true or what do you guys do who fly the 80mm 86?

Go to 10:15 in this video:

www.23T.weebly.com

Comment

Originally posted by CVA59 View Post
                                    Again, like always here at HS, the best info. Thank guys!!!!

Can you guys elaborate on what I saw in a video about the 86, the guy said be sure to use high rates on the elevator when landing? Is that always true or what do you guys do who fly the 80mm 86?

Go to 10:15 in this video:

The "guy" is Pilot Ryan and you can take what he says to the bank
                                    Warbird Charlie
                                    HSD Skyraider; FlightLine: Sea Fury; FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, 1700 F4U and a Fox glider; Freewing: A-6, P-51; VQ: P-39; Dynam: ME-262, FW-190, Waco; ASM A-26; ESM F7F-3
                                    Incinerator Loss 16

Comment

86 is nice ,but not a grass plane.
                                      I upgraded to the inrunner and it is still hit or miss if it gets off of grass. Landing gear is weak for the weight of the plane.
                                      It does fly great though.

Comment

Originally posted by Jhnybgd View Post
                                        86 is nice ,but not a grass plane.
                                        I upgraded to the inrunner and it is still hit or miss if it gets off of grass. Landing gear is weak for the weight of the plane.
                                        It does fly great though.
                                        Of course fields vary, but I flew my stock F-86 off of our grass field with no take off problems. One main gear did come loose on a hard landing, but it was easily reglued securely. I sold it to a club mate and it's still flying. I agree it flies great and would make a suitable first EDF for a moderately skilled RC pilot.

Comment

Working...
                                        X