Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OV10 View Post

The "guy" is Pilot Ryan and you can take what he says to the bank
    Thanks Charlie! In regards to the F86 in that video I was very nose heavy and at the time signature CV mentions I had done a go around because two things. I let it get to slow and I didn’t have enough elevator to compensate. Add being nose heavy to the equation and you get bouncy. It’s a great jet that flies very predictably, since the video was made I definitely move the battery back.

Comment

I'm trying to line up a Christmas present. So, if it came down to an F-86 80mm or the Rebel 70mm, what would be the best decision? Remember, I have not flown anything for 8 years or so.

Yes, I will be flying off asphalt.
      www.23T.weebly.com

Comment

Originally posted by ryramZ View Post

Thanks Charlie! In regards to the F86 in that video I was very nose heavy and at the time signature CV mentions I had done a go around because two things. I let it get to slow and I didn’t have enough elevator to compensate. Add being nose heavy to the equation and you get bouncy. It’s a great jet that flies very predictably, since the video was made I definitely move the battery back.
        Sorry Ryan. yes, I am familiar with some of your videos. I meant no disrepect.
        www.23T.weebly.com

Comment

Originally posted by CVA59 View Post
          I'm trying to line up a Christmas present. So, if it came down to an F-86 80mm or the Rebel 70mm, what would be the best decision? Remember, I have not flown anything for 8 years or so.

Do you already have any of the required batteries for either plane? That always plays a part in what I buy.

Rebel:
          Low upfront cost
          Some enjoy low cost planes more due to a lack of "investment anxiety" while flying. (Is absolutely true in my case)
          Proven record as a good 1st EDF
          4S low cost batteries

May be difficult to see on cloudy days
          You may "grow out of it" as your skills progress

Sabre:
          Not a bad price for an 80mm that should last years
          Looks great and has upgrade possibilities (motor, esc, fan) if you should desire
          Lots of spare parts available
          Durable

Pricey 6s batteries
          More difficult to transport in a small car
          You may be more prone to "investment anxiety" as a first EDF

Just some thoughts. In the end either will be good choices IMO. I've never flown either but have seen both at our field. There's a Sabre there that has probably 150 to 200 flights on it and is visibly "tired" but still seems to fly great!

Hope this helps!

Comment

Originally posted by icepirate3 View Post

Do you already have any of the required batteries for either plane? That always plays a part in what I buy.

Rebel:
            Low upfront cost
            Some enjoy low cost planes more due to a lack of "investment anxiety" while flying. (Is absolutely true in my case)
            Proven record as a good 1st EDF
            4S low cost batteries

May be difficult to see on cloudy days
            You may "grow out of it" as your skills progress

Sabre:
            Not a bad price for an 80mm that should last years
            Looks great and has upgrade possibilities (motor, esc, fan) if you should desire
            Lots of spare parts available
            Durable

Pricey 6s batteries
            More difficult to transport in a small car
            You may be more prone to "investment anxiety" as a first EDF

Just some thoughts. In the end either will be good choices IMO. I've never flown either but have seen both at our field. There's a Sabre there that has probably 150 to 200 flights on it and is visibly "tired" but still seems to fly great!

Hope this helps!
            Thanks ice.......yes, like you said, the price of batteries is a concern. The 4's are much cheaper than the 6's so that does make a difference. I will ask for the Rebel, I think for a beginner EDF and the lower costs it would be in my best interest to go with that. I am a scale purists so I would much rather have the F-86 but again, the 6S packs are just too pricey. I would need to buy 3-4 to take to the field with me. Over a long period of time that would not be an issue but in the near future that kind of green is out of the question for me.
            www.23T.weebly.com

Comment

Eight years?? You might have to go back to a Cessna. First, do you have any batteries yet? Second, do you REALLY want to restart with an EDF or would you rather try a prop job first?

Comment

Originally posted by Valkpilot View Post

Eight years?? You might have to go back to a Cessna. First, do you have any batteries yet? Second, do you REALLY want to restart with an EDF or would you rather try a prop job first?
                Yes, I have some batteries. I am still confident enough to start back with EDF's. I have been playing around on the Flight Sim some and i really don't see or feel there are any areas that worry me. Getting a feel for the power thresholds/throttle control of a EDF on landings will be my biggest learning curve. I am in complete understanding of the airflow physics when it comes to prop vs EDF's so mentally I am good with it. I will probably drive 200 miles to Houston for my maiden to have an buddy of mine who flies EDF's standby.
                www.23T.weebly.com

Comment

Yes, I have some batteries. I am still confident enough to start back with EDF's. I have been playing around on the Flight Sim some and i really don't see or feel there are any areas that worry me. Getting a feel for the power thresholds/throttle control of a EDF on landings will be my biggest learning curve. I am in complete understanding of the airflow physics when it comes to prop vs EDF's so mentally I am good with it. I will probably drive 200 miles to Houston for my maiden to have an buddy of mine who flies EDF's standby.
                  Well, the first EDF I successfully flew is one you're familiar with, but it's smaller and cheaper. No bells whistles or gyros:

http://www.porcupinerc.com/Sky-Angel...dio_p_646.html

The second was the original version of this, but it only had AS3X, not SAFE. But since you're new tho this part of the game, SAFE will come in handy. Just buy extra LG as the nose wheel on the original was flimsy:

https://www.horizonhobby.com/umx-mig...ator1_11152018

Let me know if you want to try and I'll give you more info, especially on "little brother".

Comment

Originally posted by Valkpilot View Post
                    Let me know if you want to try and I'll give you more info, especially on "little brother".
                    I just might be doing that. I can always use help.

www.23T.weebly.com

Comment

Working...
                    X