First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• edf motor timing 80mm 3530-1850kv avanti/L39 unit

motor timiing help please

i swapped the l39 12 blade for the
    1900kv 9 blade and need to setup my fly color esc to match motors needs. i need to choose timing and pwm hz this esc is not accurate in auto mode. here are the motor info from motion site

1900kv
    2000 watts
    90a max steady
    slots 12 WONDER WHAT THIS MEANS
    poles 10 AGAIN WONDERING ABOUT THIS TOO

so any help welcome as i am not sure what the slots and poles mean but can one determine timing from these numbers.........

also using 70c 6s pack5500ma

I believe you'll want medium timing for outrunners.

Comment

wish it were that easy.. this esc wants a number like 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 etc and it gives no choices just a field to type in the actual timing of the motor in use

Comment

Originally posted by horsefeetky View Post
        wish it were that easy.. this esc wants a number like 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 etc and it gives no choices just a field to type in the actual timing of the motor in use
        I Use 15 or 20 setting for most medium timings. Normally you can lookup the manufacture specs for most motors.

Comment

A good start is to use this formula:
          (Motor KV x Nominal Voltage x Pole Count) / 20 = PWM frequency in Hz. Divide the final number by 1000 to get kHz.

When you increase the PWM frequency, the harmonics in the motor is reduced and you'll end up with a smoother running motor, but at the expense of a harder working ESC. Sometimes simply changing the PWM frequency will "magically" eliminate critical RPMs in the EDF unit that induces vibration, and it will operate smooth across all RPM range. Most brushless motors run fine between 8 kHz and 12 kHz PWM frequencies.

Comment

I have used low timing on all of my freewing outrunner and inrunner set ups. 5-7 is what I usually use. I have never had to change the PWM so I am not sure about that. What is said above sounds logical to me though! I go off of am draw and how the motor deals with quick changes in throttle. Medium timing uses more amps and may give a tad more rpms but it wasn't worth it for me.
            I have way too many planes to list off... But I love to fly them all! the 80-90mm Jets are my newest addiction! Also check out my youtube channel for TONS of flying footage. https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33

Comment

Working...
            X