Model Aviation Magazine

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My First EDF is on its way

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • My First EDF is on its way

    My wife ordered the Freewing Stinger 3S for my holiday present this year. UPS seems to have misplaced it after scanning it in in Phoenix on December 22nd, but if UPS doesn't manage to find it, MRC has already told her they'll get another shipped out.

    I think, since this will be my first EDF jet, I'm going to invest in a gyro module to install in it. I can always remove the gyro later, once I decide I'm experienced enough with the model that I no longer need it, but until then, it should lower the chance of a catastrophic crash. With our dirt runway out at the flying field, I think I'll also invest the $12 in the landing gear set, to reduce the chance of sending rocks back through the EDF.

    I think, as well, I'll make sure and maiden it when one of the instructors is available at the flying field, to watch over my shoulder and give appropriate pointers on the quirks of an EDF.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Hoomi View Post
    My wife ordered the Freewing Stinger 3S for my holiday present this year. UPS seems to have misplaced it after scanning it in in Phoenix on December 22nd, but if UPS doesn't manage to find it, MRC has already told her they'll get another shipped out.

    I think, since this will be my first EDF jet, I'm going to invest in a gyro module to install in it. I can always remove the gyro later, once I decide I'm experienced enough with the model that I no longer need it, but until then, it should lower the chance of a catastrophic crash. With our dirt runway out at the flying field, I think I'll also invest the $12 in the landing gear set, to reduce the chance of sending rocks back through the EDF.

    I think, as well, I'll make sure and maiden it when one of the instructors is available at the flying field, to watch over my shoulder and give appropriate pointers on the quirks of an EDF.
    Congrats!!!

    I just flew my Rebel (my first EDF) for the first time last week. I cannot believe how happy I was that I could still fly after 8+ years of being away from this hobby. I have heard some good things about Gyro's although I have never used one. I have always flown by the seat of my pants so to speak. Anyway, keep us posted on how she flies.
    www.23T.weebly.com

    Comment


    • #3
      Congrats Hoomi! EDF's need a more consistent throttle so just be prepared to keep it above 50% for a majority of the flight. Sure you will be fine. Report back after the maiden. Which gyro were you thinking? HobbyEagle? Admiral Gyro Rx?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Hoomi View Post
        My wife ordered the Freewing Stinger 3S for my holiday present this year. UPS seems to have misplaced it after scanning it in in Phoenix on December 22nd, but if UPS doesn't manage to find it, MRC has already told her they'll get another shipped out.

        I think, since this will be my first EDF jet, I'm going to invest in a gyro module to install in it. I can always remove the gyro later, once I decide I'm experienced enough with the model that I no longer need it, but until then, it should lower the chance of a catastrophic crash. With our dirt runway out at the flying field, I think I'll also invest the $12 in the landing gear set, to reduce the chance of sending rocks back through the EDF.

        I think, as well, I'll make sure and maiden it when one of the instructors is available at the flying field, to watch over my shoulder and give appropriate pointers on the quirks of an EDF.
        Hey Hoomi,

        After watching Pilot Ryan's, and Captain Mikes Video on this plane I just had to get it. I like all the 64mm planes I have purchased from MRC. I like em so much I'm going to spring the additional cash to change out the, "Howeling Betty", 6 blade fans this year. Don't get me wrong the planes fly just fine with them, I just hate the sound they make. I'm going to upgrade some of mine with the 12 bladed fan setup. But the stock ones fly just fine.

        I just started assembling mine this weekend. Maybe we can compare notes? Good luck to ya!

        Woody

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Hoomi View Post
          My wife ordered the Freewing Stinger 3S for my holiday present this year. UPS seems to have misplaced it after scanning it in in Phoenix on December 22nd, but if UPS doesn't manage to find it, MRC has already told her they'll get another shipped out.

          I think, since this will be my first EDF jet, I'm going to invest in a gyro module to install in it. I can always remove the gyro later, once I decide I'm experienced enough with the model that I no longer need it, but until then, it should lower the chance of a catastrophic crash. With our dirt runway out at the flying field, I think I'll also invest the $12 in the landing gear set, to reduce the chance of sending rocks back through the EDF.

          I think, as well, I'll make sure and maiden it when one of the instructors is available at the flying field, to watch over my shoulder and give appropriate pointers on the quirks of an EDF.
          Are you using the landing gear or are you belly landing it? If'you're using the LG, are you trying to fly from grass or do you have pavement? From personal experience, it takes a little bit more runway taking off and landing than a prop does, and I hope you've flown something with tricycle landing gear because it's different landing than a tail-drager. And the only time I use gyros is BNF E-flites. And if you have a sim, get plenty of practice if you can find your plane in the menu.

          Comment


          • #6
            Cant wait to hear you feedback. Have fun!

            Comment


            • #7
              I ordered the Eagle A3 Pro gyro for it, as for just a little more money than the bottom level Eagle, it offers a lot more features.

              So far, I don't know when the Stinger will arrive, as we're still waiting for UPS to finish their investigation on the lost shipment, after which they'll either have found it and delivered it, or MRC will ship a replacement.

              I've flown a couple of tricycle gear planes so far, while only one tail-dragger. Our runway is a decent length, though I could still do a toss-launch, if I'm too worried about it. We have several pilots out at SAGE that fly EDFs, so I should have a good pool of experienced pilots to help me out as I'm learning.

              I'll have to check RealFlight 7.5 to see if there are any EDF models in there. I'm not sure if I've looked before.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Hoomi View Post
                I ordered the Eagle A3 Pro gyro for it, as for just a little more money than the bottom level Eagle, it offers a lot more features.

                So far, I don't know when the Stinger will arrive, as we're still waiting for UPS to finish their investigation on the lost shipment, after which they'll either have found it and delivered it, or MRC will ship a replacement.

                I've flown a couple of tricycle gear planes so far, while only one tail-dragger. Our runway is a decent length, though I could still do a toss-launch, if I'm too worried about it. We have several pilots out at SAGE that fly EDFs, so I should have a good pool of experienced pilots to help me out as I'm learning.

                I'll have to check RealFlight 7.5 to see if there are any EDF models in there. I'm not sure if I've looked before.
                From my POV ground take offs are always easier. You might want to check here for sim downloads:
                Knife Edge Software, developers of RealFlight, discussion page

                Comment


                • #9
                  I'll need to browse through some of the earlier versions of Realflight over on the Knife Edge pages. I didn't see the Stinger under either just Stinger or under Freewing, in either the RF 7.5 or 8 section. I didn't see a Waco under either of them, either, which surprises me, as many models of the Waco as are available.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Hoomi View Post
                    I'll need to browse through some of the earlier versions of Realflight over on the Knife Edge pages. I didn't see the Stinger under either just Stinger or under Freewing, in either the RF 7.5 or 8 section. I didn't see a Waco under either of them, either, which surprises me, as many models of the Waco as are available.
                    The Waco might come up under a "biplane" search. And the rest of you correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't a viper jet have the same characteristics as a stinger?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I might also search and see if they have the HobbyKing Stinger. I looked under 'S' for Stinger and under 'F' for Freewing, and saw no matches. Same with the Waco. I looked under 'W' and under 'D' for 'Dynam,' but didn't search for any other manufacturer.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        MRC is shipping out the replacement for the lost shipment either tomorrow or Monday. w00t!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          UPS found the original shipment, and it's out for delivery today. MRC got the notification in time to save them the expense and work of shipping out another.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Hoomi View Post
                            UPS found the original shipment, and it's out for delivery today. MRC got the notification in time to save them the expense and work of shipping out another.
                            UPS... When doing it right is not an option.
                            FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

                            current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by fhhuber View Post

                              UPS... When doing it right is not an option.
                              They're still head and shoulders better than USPS.

                              My wife and son work for a small company that makes props for fire performers. They've had shipments misdelivered by USPS, and when they tried to file a claim on the insurance, the Postal Service's attitude was, "Well, we delivered it, so there's no claim. What do you want us to do? Go back and get it from the wrong address?" (The Postal Service customer service rep actually said that)

                              Somehow or another, my Stinger ended up in Vernon, California, after being scanned in at the Phoenix hub, but they did find it and get it here today.

                              I have an estimated arrival of my gyro and landing gear for this coming Monday, so I'll wait to do much with the plane until I have everything.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Well you COULD assemble the airframe, that way all you have to do is glue on the LG, install you electronics, and then adjust your servos.

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  That's true.

                                  Today's big project, though, is replacing the rear brakes on my Subaru.

                                  Adulting. Bah!

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    It arrived yesterday evening around 6:45, though after saying goodbye to our senior dog yesterday, we weren't in much of a celebratory mood.

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Originally posted by Hoomi View Post
                                      after saying goodbye to our senior dog yesterday, we weren't in much of a celebratory mood.
                                      Sorry to hear about your dog. I used to have a Black Lab many years ago that died while I was out of state for a short while and it really hurt me. He was more than a dog, he was a true family member.

                                      www.23T.weebly.com

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        It would be so much easier to say goodbye, if they were "just dogs."

                                        Shiloh had been part of the family for over 13 years, and he'd been both my wife's show dog for obedience and rally events, and her service dog before her hip replacement. He was one of the most personable dogs we've ever been privileged to know.

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X