2000mm Giant Scale B-24 - Olive Drab

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When do you retire battery packs for EDFs?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When do you retire battery packs for EDFs?

What is your criteria for deciding that a Lipo is no longer suited to power your EDF, and may be better used in a lower performance demanding plane?
    Is IR (Internal Resistance) a good criteria? If so, what is the cut-off value?
    Anything else?

I usually fly them for a 3-4 years and then sell them at a swap meet or to other pilots. Replacement is usually because there are newer, better, lighter packs available more than they need replacing. I do have some batteries that are 6-7 years old with hundreds of cycles on them that are still working great and there's nothing in that cell size better so I still use them. I am slowly replacing all my older packs with Hobby Star or Roaring Top if there is a suitable cell size.

I don't have a way to measure IR though that would be a good way to tell if they need replacing.

Originally posted by Flash Jorden View Post
    What is your criteria for deciding that a Lipo is no longer suited to power your EDF, and may be better used in a lower performance demanding plane?
    Anything else?

Comment

Load test

Fresh charged pack has to withstand at least 45 seconds 100% throttle without tripping LVC or you don't want to use it in the airplane.

Its a real bummer to hit LVC cutoff just as the wheels leave the pavement....
      FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by Flash Jorden View Post
        Anything else?
        Here's a video to help with testing battery health. Pretty much what fhhuber was suggesting. If you fly EDF enough you'll know when your batteries need to be retired just by how they perform.
        https://www.flitetest.com/articles/L...stance_Testing

Comment

Working...
        X