National Air and Space Museum

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Freewing Twin 80mm/90mm A-10 Thunderbolt II Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • In the spirit of the Olympics that is truly Gold medal news. Iím hoping and praying that he continues to improve and has many more bright Birthdays in the future.

    Comment


    • MotionRc,
      I love my A10, but being one of the first to get one , my center fan rotors did not come painted like the planes after mine. That is my only complaint.
      BVM Bandit, EFlite Carbon Z T-28, EFlite Carbon Z Cub, EFlite Promethus, FW Avanti S, FW A-10 ThunderBolt, FW P-51 Mustang, EFlite Convergance, EFlite Carbon Z Cessna 150, EFlite Habu, EFlite Styker Q-F27, HSD Navy Super Viper

      Comment


      • Great news Tim!

        Comment


        • Originally posted by ColtPilot View Post
          Update on my grandson Noah and will be 1 year old the 23 of Feb. He is starting to see some light.
          Great news! Glad to hear it mate.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by t33jetman View Post
            MotionRc,
            I love my A10, but being one of the first to get one , my center fan rotors did not come painted like the planes after mine. That is my only complaint.
            ????? You repainted the whole model.(beautifully) So if the rotors had come painted, you would have repainted those too, right?
            Yer a funny guy... I like ya.
            In my hanger: F-4, A-4, A-10, F-104, P51D "Iron Ass", B-24, Dauntless SBD, F7F Tigercat, Dynam B-26, Lipp.P19, Durafly Komets, Vampire, Sea Vixen. A Radian XL... Coming soon: P-61

            Lots of Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 and 9' B36... and some snot-powered planes including Mud Ducks!

            Marc - AKA "themudduck" AMA272633
            "foamerbird" on YouTube
            www.rabidmodels.com

            Comment


            • Hooked up everything I could that still worked (two stripped flap servos, and nothing in the nose hooked up), and tried to get my plane to lock up. I was hitting aileron, elevator, rudder, flaps, and the main LG all at the same time, and no hint of a brown out or lock out.

              Stripped everything down that I will need for the ARF+ I just ordered. Thank goodness the trailing link nose gear survived. I should have the replacement next week.
              Pat

              Comment


              • Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-02-15 at 7.52.41 PM.png
Views:	1
Size:	504.3 KB
ID:	118218 this is a pretty sick shirt!

                Comment


                • And it begins .

                  I don't think I'll be doing an operating canopy like I originally planned. Will be too much trial and error for the limited time I have before spring. I'm considering though a removable bottom of the tub so that I can swap out the pilot and the ejection seat for a first person camera for some in-flight footage.

                  Comment


                  • Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	1
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	118229Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	1
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	118230
                    Five Freewing Twin 80mm A-10 Warthogs flown together at AEF 2018. Good times!

                    Comment


                    • And the video.
                       

                      Comment


                      • Hi guys:

                        I wanted to double check with you on the A-10 C.G. point. If you have a few moments, would you please respond to my questions below. Many thanks!!!

                        1) Did you balance the A-10 exactly on the CG point called out for in the plan?
                        2) Did you balance the A-10 inverted or upright?
                        3) If you had to make adjustments, did you just move the battery locations forward or aft, or did you need to add any weight in the nose or tail?

                        Again, thank you all.

                        Regards,
                        Jim

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Dirty Dee View Post
                          And it begins .

                          I don't think I'll be doing an operating canopy like I originally planned. Will be too much trial and error for the limited time I have before spring. I'm considering though a removable bottom of the tub so that I can swap out the pilot and the ejection seat for a first person camera for some in-flight footage.
                          Dee, that's what I did to remove the stock pilot (who I couldn't stand) and fly the season last year before attacking the cockpit in earnest in the fall. I didn't want to remove the canopy twice...
                          I also wanted to thank you for your excellent work on the printed nozzles- I have a set in hand and will soon get them installed. Thanks Dee!
                          Tom

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Jimrc73 View Post
                            Hi guys:

                            I wanted to double check with you on the A-10 C.G. point. If you have a few moments, would you please respond to my questions below. Many thanks!!!

                            1) Did you balance the A-10 exactly on the CG point called out for in the plan?
                            2) Did you balance the A-10 inverted or upright?
                            3) If you had to make adjustments, did you just move the battery locations forward or aft, or did you need to add any weight in the nose or tail?

                            Again, thank you all.

                            Regards,
                            Jim
                            Jim,

                            I initially flew with the recommended CG in the book, and then gradually moved it back to 86mm. Seems to fly much better there. Balanced mine upside down, wheels down. I had to unscrew the control board from the ply mount and move it back so that the front holes in the board secured to the rear holes in the ply mount. That way I could move my lipos further back.
                            Pat

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by xplaneguy View Post
                              And the video.
                              Beautiful flight, and beautiful day! And what is that strange type of clothing you're wearing that stops above your elbows and knees?? It looks vaguely familiar? Rob

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Jimrc73 View Post
                                Hi guys:

                                I wanted to double check with you on the A-10 C.G. point. If you have a few moments, would you please respond to my questions below. Many thanks!!!

                                1) Did you balance the A-10 exactly on the CG point called out for in the plan?
                                2) Did you balance the A-10 inverted or upright?
                                3) If you had to make adjustments, did you just move the battery locations forward or aft, or did you need to add any weight in the nose or tail?

                                Again, thank you all.

                                Regards,
                                Jim
                                I balanced inverted, gear down and I fly with Admiral 5000's. I did end up moving the batteries aft as far as possible (I didn't move the control board). While I only got in 9 flights before winter, it was flying, and landing, fine. Rob

                                Comment


                                • Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
                                  Jim,

                                  I initially flew with the recommended CG in the book, and then gradually moved it back to 86mm. Seems to fly much better there. Balanced mine upside down, wheels down. I had to unscrew the control board from the ply mount and move it back so that the front holes in the board secured to the rear holes in the ply mount. That way I could move my lipos further back.
                                  Pat:

                                  Thank you for your quick response!! I will definitely check it inverted which is what my initial thoughts were, and start with the recommended CG in the book - although I may use that as the very front end of the CG to start. I will also have all the ordnance installed and gear down. Pat, I like your idea of eventually moving it back to 86mm. Again, many thanks Pat!!

                                  Regards,
                                  Jim

                                  Comment


                                  • Originally posted by RCAV8R View Post

                                    I balanced inverted, gear down and I fly with Admiral 5000's. I did end up moving the batteries aft as far as possible (I didn't move the control board). While I only got in 9 flights before winter, it was flying, and landing, fine. Rob
                                    Rob:

                                    Thank you as well for responding so quickly. I will definitely balance inverted, gear down, ordnance installed. I am also using Admiral 5000s in the aircraft. Based on what you and Pat have said, it looks like moving aft is needed to maximize flight characteristics. That will be my plan as well. Thank you again Rob!

                                    Regards,
                                    Jim

                                    Comment


                                    • Hey Guys...I know you have all seen the news about the effort to study a replacement for the A-10. I am no expert, but I find that to be a head scratcher! This video mentions the cost difference per hour and that's the first time I have heard that rationale. I have to say, there's just something about this bird that endears me and I will never see another plane as it's equal! Rob


                                      https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...6425&FORM=VIRE

                                      Comment


                                      • Originally posted by Jimrc73 View Post

                                        Rob:

                                        Thank you as well for responding so quickly. I will definitely balance inverted, gear down, ordnance installed. I am also using Admiral 5000s in the aircraft. Based on what you and Pat have said, it looks like moving aft is needed to maximize flight characteristics. That will be my plan as well. Thank you again Rob!

                                        Regards,
                                        Jim
                                        Yes Jim, I did have the ordinance on as well (although I never fly with it). Tally Ho! Rob

                                        Comment


                                        • Personally, I found the book CG to be a little on the nose heavy side. Since moving it back to 86mm I have found it easier to hold a nose up attitude on landing approach.
                                          Pat

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X