X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AJS-37 Viggen

With the new release of the Saab AJS-37 Viggen module for DCS I was a bit apprehensive about the potential of this Swedish ground attack jet. My apprehension mostly stemmed from not knowing nothing at all about this jet that is a bit obscure to most Americans. I had been watching a few reviews about the Viggen bata module for the past few months but it wasn’t until its recent open release that it has really being put through its paces.
    After watching this great review about the Viggen it really made me think it could have a good potential as an RC model. Given how the Viggen was designed to be a low altitude ground attacker with the capability of short take offs and landings thanks to its thrust reverser, it would make a great future RC candidate as It could be quite adapt for the typical situations EDF pilots face like short runways.
    Please check out this excellent review about the new AJS-37 Viggen module to learn more about this wonderful jet and share your thoughts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpFIHZJbTtY

There is a scale CNC wood kit for 90mm fans available from its Swedish designer.
    http://www.mbs-rcmodels.se/skalaflyg...aab-37-viggen/

Unfortunately, the English website is no longer maintained, probably due to lack of interest. I've got one of the kits and it's half finished and currently shelved. A problem is to fit retracts into the wing (it's designed without landing gear), since the wing is really thin and the available standard retracts won't fit.

And here is a link to a great reference book:
    http://www.nordicairpower.com/page9.html
    Last edited by Radar-Guy; 02-05-2017, 05:10 AM. Reason: Editorial change

Comment

There's also a puzzle kit on aerotetris.com. From what I hear it's a very pleasant flyer.

Those scale gear would be problematic both in terms of their short height and the dual wheel truck per main. Power isn't so much an issue in EDF for short takeoffs; wheel resistance is often a stronger determinant to performance on unimproved runways.

I do love that iconic Viggen camo scheme, though. Saab jets always catch my eye, the Draken being my favorite.

Comment

The one cool and unique feature that the Viggen has that few other fighter jets have is a thrust reverser, which can become a useful feature. The only other fighter jet with a thrust reverser is the Panavia Tornado.
        Most pilots that have flown the Viggen in the DCS simulator are reporting that it is one of the funnest jets to land. The trust reverser can be engaged after landing or before landing but it will not activate till after the nose gear touches down.

Here is video of how amazingly effective the thrust reverser is on the Viggen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBE41A9VT3Q

Comment

I was not aware of the thrust reverser on the Viggen. I fell in love with the design as a kid, and it was always one of my top fav foreign airplanes. I have never seen a jet back up on its own before. Very interesting, thanks for sharing that Evoman. You learn something new everyday.

Comment

I have seen the flit test plans for this jet and printed them off . But I have seen allot of flying issues will have to give it a second thought.

Comment

I recently saw this interesting documentary of the Viggen's engine and airframe development. One of the interesting bits that caught my attention was that the use of front canards actually disturbed the vortex of air directing air downward on the delta wing behind it generating more lift at slower speeds and preventing a stall earlier. Those unique flight characteristics would be very useful on an RC model of the Viggen.

Comment

You may want to ;look at the Viggen developed by Flitetest.

https://flitetest.com/articles/ft-viggen

Comment

Originally posted by Trobinson99 View Post

That was a great video of them testing and showing just how good the Viggen design and flight envelope translates to an EDF model. This further proves that the this design enables it to have an unparalleled ability to fly fast or slow without the fear of stalling at low speeds compared to any other EDF out there. This may very well be the most ideal fighter jet design for beginners looking for their first EDF that is easy to fly because of its great stability and forgiving flight envelope!
                  I can already envision a Freewing AJS-37 Viggen version being a great seller because it would offer an EDF newbie a great stable airframe at low and high speeds that even for a pro it would offer a relaxing jet to fly. Add to that its other signature unique feature of its thrust reverser and it would give it the ability pull off a safe short landing. It also being able to back up by its self would not only come handy but it would surely turn heads at the field!

Comment

Originally posted by Trobinson99 View Post

I built one this week from the plans this week. It was pretty easy to build as I love the Viggen! The foam board isn't my favorite look but without building the balsa kit, it's as good as I'm going to get until FW or FMS steps up with scale model. Unfortunately, weather hasn't been great so this one will have to wait to get a maiden flight in. In the interim, I keep dreaming of a FW release of a super scale 90mm version.

Comment

I was thinking about getting the speed build kit to build my first EDF. But after thinking of everything I know I would want to do to it like a 12 blade EDF unit and other upgrades to make it look as scale as possible I realized I would be putting too much money into an airframe that is not worth it. For what I would end up spending I would be better off getting a Freewing EDF in the $200 range. So I am thinking of just getting a 70mm Yak-130 to train with. But if Freewing ever did a nice Viggen complete with a trust reverser I would get it in a heart beat!

Comment

Working...
                      X