Roban - World Class Scale Helicopters

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Freewing 90mm T-45 Goshawk Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • You just pulled the trigger that lit the primer off lol

    Comment


    • EA6Geek..way to go man! post some videos when you get her airborne
      Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

      Comment


      • No video, but I maidened my rebuilt T-45 this morning before work, installed the FW 9 blade out of the Phantom in it and all I can say is, it made a lot of noise, performance was about the same as the stock pnp version and it ate my battery up really good, landed just at 2:35 and was down to 3.68 on the cells, I had the same problem in the F-4 too, don't know how guys are getting 3 minutes from a 5000 battery, I can't even get close at 3/4 throttle most of the time or less, sound is annoying as well, to much whine to it, so I will be ordering another FW 4068-1680kv, this is my favorite power plant anyway.

        So did the 9 blade work, yes it did but nothing to get excited over, the stock 37481550kv is just as good and has a better sound and battery life, so I went back to stock for now until I get my 4068-1680kv power plant.

        Comment


        • I usually end up at 3:00 or 3:15 on landing. Mixed throttle, 3.85 per cell. On the Phantom with the FMS90/YEP 150 I get the same. I fly 5000's.
          That being said, I hit the pattern at 2 minutes or close to that. By the time I land and taxi back I am at 3:00. I did fly one flight for over 3 minutes in the T-45. I landed, but could not taxi in. I cut it that close. So now I hit the pattern right at the 2 minute call. Gives me time for one missed approach.

          But with your flight time, 3.68 sounds really low. Something else must be going on there.

          I may try the 4068-1680 in the future. Let us know how that one does in the T-45.
          Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

          Comment


          • Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post
            No video, but I maidened my rebuilt T-45 this morning before work, installed the FW 9 blade out of the Phantom in it and all I can say is, it made a lot of noise, performance was about the same as the stock pnp version and it ate my battery up really good, landed just at 2:35 and was down to 3.68 on the cells, I had the same problem in the F-4 too, don't know how guys are getting 3 minutes from a 5000 battery, I can't even get close at 3/4 throttle most of the time or less, sound is annoying as well, to much whine to it, so I will be ordering another FW 4068-1680kv, this is my favorite power plant anyway.

            So did the 9 blade work, yes it did but nothing to get excited over, the stock 37481550kv is just as good and has a better sound and battery life, so I went back to stock for now until I get my 4068-1680kv power plant.
            That surprises me. With a 5000/70C battery, my thrust to weight went from .78 with the 1550kv to .86 with the 1750kv. Yes, the 1750kv whines more, but again, not enough to bother me. I don't know that the plane is any faster with the 1750kv, but the added thrust in the air was definitely noticeable. Also keep in mind I removed the 6 oz of slat/speed brake hardware, so that helps some with my thrust to weight ratio.

            Well, looks like myself and seaviper will be at the Jet Fest in a few weeks, so we can fly his stock and my modified together to see how they compare in the air.

            More to follow,

            Sean

            Comment


            • Originally posted by EDFjetpilot View Post

              That surprises me. With a 5000/70C battery, my thrust to weight went from .78 with the 1550kv to .86 with the 1750kv. Yes, the 1750kv whines more, but again, not enough to bother me. I don't know that the plane is any faster with the 1750kv, but the added thrust in the air was definitely noticeable. Also keep in mind I removed the 6 oz of slat/speed brake hardware, so that helps some with my thrust to weight ratio.

              Well, looks like myself and seaviper will be at the Jet Fest in a few weeks, so we can fly his stock and my modified together to see how they compare in the air.

              More to follow,

              Sean
              Okay, let me know if you guys do fly together and the results, I did feel like the 1750kv did have maybe a little more thrust but not much, speed wise I couldn't tell. You see, I don't like the whine and that is why I like the 4068-1680kv so much, no whine, just a nice smooth woosh sound which is what I like, I do think the 1750kv units would do nicely in the FW A-10 upgraded to the 90mm, the whine would sound great in the A-10, I think anyway.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post

                Okay, let me know if you guys do fly together and the results, I did feel like the 1750kv did have maybe a little more thrust but not much, speed wise I couldn't tell. You see, I don't like the whine and that is why I like the 4068-1680kv so much, no whine, just a nice smooth woosh sound which is what I like, I do think the 1750kv units would do nicely in the FW A-10 upgraded to the 90mm, the whine would sound great in the A-10, I think anyway.
                Will do!

                I do like the woosh better than the whine, but wanted better performance most of all. Even if you kept the stock 1550kv 12B and lightened it as I did, some performance increase is expected just by improving thrust to weight, or maybe get a longer flight time by substituting that lost weight with more battery mah.

                I concur...the 1750kv 9B's would give the FW A-10 that full scale whine.

                Sean

                Comment


                • We need to do a formation flight with the T-45's if you're comfortable with that. We fly a lot of formation here with jets. All the time really.
                  It would be really neat to see a couple T-45's winging it.

                  My wife is bringing her camera to film and take lots of photos.

                  Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

                  Comment


                  • And today I was checking over my gear after 4 flights. Turns out there was one stripped screw hole on a strut and one set of springs/spacer installed incorrectly. !@#$ The stripped screw thing is getting old.

                    Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by seaviper View Post
                      And today I was checking over my gear after 4 flights. Turns out there was one stripped screw hole on a strut and one set of springs/spacer installed incorrectly. !@#$ The stripped screw thing is getting old.

                      Comment


                      • It was the two little screws that hold the anti-rotation link to the strut. I drilled and tapped them for 2-56. Cut a some 2-56 screws down to 3.5mm long, and ....done. Did that on both struts.
                        Way more secure now. She's all signed off ...hopefully flying this evening
                        Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by seaviper View Post
                          We need to do a formation flight with the T-45's if you're comfortable with that. We fly a lot of formation here with jets. All the time really.
                          It would be really neat to see a couple T-45's winging it.

                          My wife is bringing her camera to film and take lots of photos.
                          Sure, I'm good with formation flying as long as we do a pre-flight briefing to coordinate separation.

                          Remember though, my "T-45" is now a "T1" painted in the RAF Red Arrows scheme. So wouldn't quite be the same as two Navy ATC schemed T-45s flying along a MTR.

                          Sean

                          Comment


                          • yeah we always pre brief....discuss flight, nose high goes high...nose low goes low...order of recovery, etc. Good way to judge performance. My buddy and I flew our F-4's together. That's how I know there is no difference between our setups.
                            We always stay vertically separated.

                            Yeah that T-1 scheme looks really good. I cannot wait to meet everyone and do a little flying too.
                            Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

                            Comment


                            • While doing touch and goes the other day around dusk, my t45 got hit by a tree. Arf+ to the rescue. It was low light and I thought I was in front of the tree.

                              But, over the past few days with really hot conditions, I had some issues with the gear not retracting fully in flight. After some experimentation and several flights, I found that the culprit was the BEC, or more specifically, voltage.
                              My new bird is getting a bigger BEC as a result.

                              However, the real culprit is probably not the BEC at all. It's the solder joint on the battery leads. Horrible. So, if you are having intermittent gear issues on your T-45, check the solder joints. You may be amazed at what you find.
                              That may explain why some birds have the "brownout" issues and some don't.
                              Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by seaviper View Post
                                While doing touch and goes the other day around dusk, my t45 got hit by a tree. Arf+ to the rescue. It was low light and I thought I was in front of the tree.

                                But, over the past few days with really hot conditions, I had some issues with the gear not retracting fully in flight. After some experimentation and several flights, I found that the culprit was the BEC, or more specifically, voltage.
                                My new bird is getting a bigger BEC as a result.

                                However, the real culprit is probably not the BEC at all. It's the solder joint on the battery leads. Horrible. So, if you are having intermittent gear issues on your T-45, check the solder joints. You may be amazed at what you find.
                                That may explain why some birds have the "brownout" issues and some don't.
                                Know what you mean about the solder joints, it happened on my FW 90mm F-16, I plugged in the battery and heard a loud pop, the red wire came loose from the EC5, took a closer look at, it was a cold solder, glad it happened on the ground, I was just about to do another flight too.......

                                Comment


                                • Originally posted by seaviper View Post
                                  While doing touch and goes the other day around dusk, my t45 got hit by a tree. Arf+ to the rescue. It was low light and I thought I was in front of the tree.

                                  But, over the past few days with really hot conditions, I had some issues with the gear not retracting fully in flight. After some experimentation and several flights, I found that the culprit was the BEC, or more specifically, voltage.
                                  My new bird is getting a bigger BEC as a result.

                                  However, the real culprit is probably not the BEC at all. It's the solder joint on the battery leads. Horrible. So, if you are having intermittent gear issues on your T-45, check the solder joints. You may be amazed at what you find.
                                  That may explain why some birds have the "brownout" issues and some don't.
                                  Those pesky trees are always trying to jump in front of oncoming RC planes...
                                  Flying or RTF - Freewing 64mm P.15 on 4S, 70mm BAe Hawk, 80mm A-4 Skyhawk Blue Angels #6, Mig-21, Twin 80mm A-10, Twin 90mm A-10, 90mm F-15C on 8S, 90mm F-4J Phantom II on 8S; FMS Fox 2320mm glider, FHX-800 Trainer (FPV), 90mm Super Scorpion; Eflight 1200mm Spitfire Mk XIV; Twisted Hobbies Clik R2; LX 64mm F-117 Nighthawk on 4S; Strix Nano Goblin.
                                  Coming soon - 80mm Tiger Meet and something cool

                                  Comment


                                  • Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	146994Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	146993 Here's what the UPS man brought today! Very impressive model. Project Foil will no doubt be announced sometime in the next 48 to 72 hours.

                                    Comment


                                    • I'm telling you Friday I'm sure of it!

                                      Comment


                                      • Originally posted by seaviper View Post
                                        While doing touch and goes the other day around dusk, my t45 got hit by a tree. Arf+ to the rescue. It was low light and I thought I was in front of the tree.

                                        But, over the past few days with really hot conditions, I had some issues with the gear not retracting fully in flight. After some experimentation and several flights, I found that the culprit was the BEC, or more specifically, voltage.
                                        My new bird is getting a bigger BEC as a result.

                                        However, the real culprit is probably not the BEC at all. It's the solder joint on the battery leads. Horrible. So, if you are having intermittent gear issues on your T-45, check the solder joints. You may be amazed at what you find.
                                        That may explain why some birds have the "brownout" issues and some don't.
                                        Sorry to hear about the tree...they seem to like reaching out to grab our RC planes every now and then. Nice that an ARF+ is available for times like that.

                                        Good to know about the gear issue, I've had mine stick a time or two on its first few flights. I removed the small gear door from the strut to be more scale for the T1, but it also seemed to relieve the air pressure that seem to be causing it to stop when retracting.

                                        Sean

                                        Comment


                                        • Yeah I could have patched it up. But I would have had to spend almost the same amount as the ARF+.

                                          The gear thing happened to me on three flights. Each time was the same. It would test fine on the ground. Then after takeoff I noticed the nose gear would be partially out. In the air, the gear would cycle down just fine. Then on retraction, the nose gear and one main would be hanging out. That I think was due to a low voltage situation causing the gear to move slow. This all happened at high ambient temperatures. My theory is that the bad solder joint on the battery connector caused a voltage drop. I unplugged the landing light to test my voltage drop theory as it draws some significant current and is on during retraction. With the light unplugged, all went back to normal for several flights. The solder joints were definitely bad. It was as if they had used some oxidized solder or something. Anyway, I am re-doing the connector and putting in a bigger BEC.

                                          Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X