Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another question. My Venom does not have any tubes in the fuselage that match the wing spar tubes. instead there is a larger square cross section hole that appears to be lined with a thin metal. So when the wing spar tube goes into the fuselage, the wing tip moves up and down with a fair amount of slop. I would think there should be a matching tube in the fuselage for the wing spar - wondering if that was omitted in error on my Venom?

Comment

Originally posted by hotdogx View Post
      xviper,

I must have a different manual from you - my Venom manual does not specify control throws..
      Hmmm, it's been nearly 2 years since I put mine together and I have over a dozen Freewing planes, so maybe it didn't show throws. However, based on all my other FW planes, I must have just guessed at what would be needed. This plane is quite forgiving of a variety of throws. I use a DX8-G2, which gives 3 different rates for each control surface. I go 100%/30%; 75%/25%; 50%/25% (rate/expo). I'll fly high rates for AIL and middle rates for ELE. RUD is so benign, I just leave it at 100% for ground steering and use it minimally in the air. Even my rates may not to be most peoples' liking. These things are a trial and error thing and whatever any manual says are merely suggestions and a starting point. Flaps are also something I "eye ball". I like aggressive flaps for landing and about 40% of that for take off, although this plane really doesn't need any take off flaps but I do it just for fun. Depending on what type of surface you fly from, you may or may not ever want flaps. Again, a personal thing.

Comment

I solved the lack of wing tube issue by wrapping the inboard end of the wing spar tube with aluminum duct tape to increase the diameter to match the inside dimension of the square tube in the fuselage. That got rid of the wing rocking.

Comment

I just checked my Venom. It hangs from the ceiling via straps from the fuselage, so the wing's weight make them droop down a bit (maybe <1/2" at the tips) from when I support the plane via the wings. I've always flown it this way and even my first one was like that. A round peg into a square hole is not ideal but it seems to work with this plane. I fly it fairly aggressively and never has the minor wing flapping been a problem. As for those wing screws, the manual says they are 8mm. They go deep into the recesses. Perhaps you haven't actually hit the "bullseye" and gotten to the threaded part yet.

Comment

Xviper, I figured out the wing screw issue. Turned out it was MY issue, not the screws. After looking closely inside the wing slot with a flashlight I discovered the screws were not getting started into the threaded inserts - they were just turning while sitting on top of the inserts. Apparently there was a little bit of mold flashing on top of the threaded fastener. Once I realized that, I applied a good bit of downward force on the wing screw while turning it with the screwdriver, and it then engaged the threaded fastener and tightened as expected. So the M4 X 14 screws were the correct ones.

Just have to mount the RX and set the control throws now, and I'm ready to test fly. Unfortunately I have to go out of town tomorrow for a while, so won't be able to test fly for at least a week.

I have to say the Venom looks better in person than it does in photos - really has a lot of character. Looking forward to seeing it in the air.

Comment

Has anyone done anything about the poor nose gear door rigging? Planning on looking into mine in the next day or so . Also the right wing nav light quit, have to look into that also.

Comment

Xviper, I figured out the wing screw issue. Turned out it was MY issue, not the screws. After looking closely inside the wing slot with a flashlight I discovered the screws were not getting started into the threaded inserts - they were just turning while sitting on top of the inserts. Apparently there was a little bit of mold flashing on top of the threaded fastener. Once I realized that, I applied a good bit of downward force on the wing screw while turning it with the screwdriver, and it then engaged the threaded fastener and tightened as expected. So the M4 X 14 screws were the correct ones.

Just have to mount the RX and set the control throws now, and I'm ready to test fly. Unfortunately I have to go out of town tomorrow for a while, so won't be able to test fly for at least a week.

I have to say the Venom looks better in person than it does in photos - really has a lot of character. Looking forward to seeing it in the air.
                Hey Hotdog-Let me know how you like this one. I'd love to see it flying when you do take it out. Maybe the weather will be OK this weekend. I am still thinking I will get the silver one, and we can fly formation!

Comment

Finally got a good day to test the Venom. Love it! Sweet flying jet. Flies very well at half throttle, and speed looks scale at that throttle setting. Awesome jet sound - better than any EDF I've heard so far. Takes off our grass runway very quickly and lands smoothly and easily. Definitely needs the flaps on landing - other wise it just wants to float on down the runway. Plenty of power, and is pretty fast at full throttle. Does decent acro, and the roll rate is quicker than expected. Swiss color scheme is excellent for visibility. I'm getting 4:30 flights with no trouble. Really like this jet!

Comment

Originally posted by meadowhay View Post
                    Here's mine after 2 years of flying and the original 5 (6?) blade fan/motor replaced by a Jetfan 90 unit and currently uses 6000mAh packs, which I suspect is making her a tad nose heavy.
                    Fly's superbly regardless!
                    What 6000 packs?
                    Thanks.
                    Intagram, YouTube, RCAfterhours

Comment

Originally posted by andre View Post

What 6000 packs?
                      Thanks.
                      Turnigy A-Spec 45C. Sadly, HK decided to discontinue their A-Spec range, but HRB do a similar pack and I'm sure there must be several more out there.
                      The drawback is that I needed to remove the steel weights at the front of the cockpit area (maybe that's just a V1 thing?) and the CG even with the pack right back is a tad forward. It still performs exceeding ly well though and carries the extra weight effortlessly!

Comment

Finally got a good day to test the Venom. Love it! Sweet flying jet. Flies very well at half throttle, and speed looks scale at that throttle setting. Awesome jet sound - better than any EDF I've heard so far. Takes off our grass runway very quickly and lands smoothly and easily. Definitely needs the flaps on landing - other wise it just wants to float on down the runway. Plenty of power, and is pretty fast at full throttle. Does decent acro, and the roll rate is quicker than expected. Swiss color scheme is excellent for visibility. I'm getting 4:30 flights with no trouble. Really like this jet!
                        The Venom is a winner!
                        Great performance, great woooosh sound....landings like a trainer.
                        After around 50 flights, i have only three points of attention to this plane:
                        1. Avoid RUD inputs with low speed...it will tip stall immediately (you can test in a safe altitude)
                        2. Cut some coils from the nose gear (or use a small wheel)...zero bounce ! It will help a lot!
                        3. Considering that this plane is almost a glider, i separated the AIL wires and configurate a crow with the flaps...works like a charm, stops the plane much sooner and increase the lift in the wings avoid tip stall when executing the flare in low speeds.
                        Finally there´s a solution for people facing the wings flex problem …people are using a square CF that runs through all the fuselage and connect both wings spar.

I love mine:

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by meadowhay View Post

Turnigy A-Spec 45C. Sadly, HK decided to discontinue their A-Spec range,
                          That's maybe a good thing. I've gone through several of these A-Specs and they just don't hold up to use and repeated cycles. They fall off fairly soon. After only about 50 cycles, they puff and don't put out the punch like they used to. I think HobbyKing discontinued it because they weren't selling. People who tried them stopped buying them. They were simply too much money for what you get. I will only buy high C Graphenes or the Turnigy Heavy Duty (also high C) from HobbyKing. These will go 200 to 300+ cycles without reduction in performance. EDF's are hard on batteries and the A-Spec just can't keep up for very long.

Comment

A couple videos of my Venom: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7tqo1mryph...20Jet.mp4?dl=0 and https://www.dropbox.com/s/b2r0enaidq...et_03.mp4?dl=0
                            A sweet flying jet!

Comment

Here is mine, not quite done on the mods. I bought the arf plus and installed a Taft 11 blade 90mm.

Comment

Looking HOT even though it's not complete yet!:Cool:

Comment

i have a spare 8s setup,could you fit 2 5000 4s in battery area?

Comment

Originally posted by Jhnybgd View Post
                                    i have a spare 8s setup,could you fit 2 5000 4s in battery area?
                                    I doubt it, very tight in there.

TiredIron Aviation
                                    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

A six pack and 800 rivets later.....

Comment

Great flights. Thanks for sharing

Comment

Well I put my Venom in today. Lost a cell on my battery pack and tip stalled it in trying to get her back to the runway. Not sure if I am going to replace it, saving for the next release.

Comment

Working...
                                          X