X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dual Prop Dave View Post
    I'll see how the stock ones are on maiden and go from there.
    That's the best way to do it. Then you'll have a point of reference and comparison.

Comment

Great info, guys, thanks for contributing!

Dave, IF you find yourself at a bad angle after a bounce, remember that this bird is a kite --get your wings level, keep the fuselage level, and punch the throttle and you'll fly right out of it. The key is to keep the aircraft flat. It doesn't matter if you're at knee height and banked 20 degree at nearly zero airspeed... as long as you get it level for a couple seconds at full throttle, you'll recover and can go around for another shot.

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
        Great info, guys, thanks for contributing!

Dave, IF you find yourself at a bad angle after a bounce, remember that this bird is a kite --get your wings level, keep the fuselage level, and punch the throttle and you'll fly right out of it. The key is to keep the aircraft flat. It doesn't matter if you're at knee height and banked 20 degree at nearly zero airspeed... as long as you get it level for a couple seconds at full throttle, you'll recover and can go around for another shot.
        Thanks Alpha. It's nice to know it has the snot to power out of a problem! I was just wondering why more people don't have this jet, or there isn't much discussion about it.:Confused:

Comment

I've always wondered that, too. It's one of the "older" Freewing birds, ~five years or so. It seems the "flurry" period for a new model is about a year, whereafter it joins the standard lineup and the content and attention normalizes. This isn't to say they're still not lots of fun. Which is why we keep the Stinger 64, Stinger 90, Venom, and other birds still active. Until another aircraft of similar planform/pricepoint/performance comes out from Freewing, I don't see this Venom every being discontinued. It's just such a sweetheart to fly.

Comment

I've always wondered that, too. It's one of the "older" Freewing birds, ~five years or so. It seems the "flurry" period for a new model is about a year, whereafter it joins the standard lineup and the content and attention normalizes. This isn't to say they're still not lots of fun. Which is why we keep the Stinger 64, Stinger 90, Venom, and other birds still active. Until another aircraft of similar planform/pricepoint/performance comes out from Freewing, I don't see this Venom every being discontinued. It's just such a sweetheart to fly.
            I never purchased one long ago when they were announced, and dropped the idea when other aircraft I wanted more were released as time when on, but recently started looking into one for the last three months or so. A page or two back I explain some of why I haven’t purchased one yet, at least at this point in time. I have a few questions for you in that post. If you cannot answer some or all of the questions, I completely understand, but hopefully they are some you can answer in regards to the willingness of Freewing to perform potential changes to the Venom in the future. Thanks!

Comment

I think I have 4 seasons on mine and still thoroughly enjoy it.:Cool:
              Tom

Comment

Originally posted by T-CAT View Post
                Alpha, that Venom looks incredible. Great job on the additions. I love that method on the F-86 too.

Do you think Freewing is game to improve upon this airframe with small additions? That is unless they want to go further for advancements. For example, say a V3 in a different paint scheme or keep the current paint offerings, but use the new multi-box and multi-connect wing harness for easy removal of the wings, provide ball link connectors on all the pushrods, some trailing link style struts (there must be some that fit this airframe that Freewing already produces), larger wheel axles and retract/strut pins, a canopy latch, and a full length wing carbon spar?

I think the above additions would be great. I have never owned this jet, and have only seem it fly many many times. It appears to be one of those hidden gems. However, I can’t get myself to spend the money on a Kit Plus or PNP. Since the jet has been around quite some time, it’s showing it’s age with the technology that’s in it for the price point it’s at when I compare it to something like the new Freewing L-39 80mm EDF jet. For $10 less, I can get the L-39 Kit Plus and I feel the value of what I’m getting far surpasses the Venom. With the additions above, it’s likely I’d bight the bullet and purchase one, but I’m not sure others would, but hopefully. I don’t know what Freewing’s plans are for this aircraft, whether it’ll be discontinued soon, or stay around a while longer as it is, but I’d like to see a breath of fresh air put into it.

I don't think this next aspect is possible to have as I don’t know how difficult or expensive it would be (likely very expensive, ha-ha), but I’d like to see a more glueless assembly. The booms are okay to glue on, but it would be nice to see the horizontal and vertical stabilizers mate together with mounts and screws. I’m not sure what the V2 improvements are to the tail areas, but it’s seems like possible carbon reinforcement, but the website description doesn’t specifically state how or what is improved in that area.
                We powered up the Venom last year or so with the 12B setup, which traded a bit of flight time for increased speed and thrust. There used to be a camo scheme, but it didn't sell well so was replaced with the red scheme which like the silver scheme has remained consistently popular (even though personally I'm not a fan of the red).

Beyond that, there aren't any modifications planned to the Venom for a V3. The costs involved to retool for both the foam mold and plastic molds to achieve glueless assembly unfortunately aren't an investment we can responsibly make. The good news is that the model doesn't really need multiwing-connectors, since the wing's don't really need to come off --the airplane is a flat plate and transports easily. I suppose its LEDs could be updated, but that's easier done as a DIY with the available DayBright LED sets from our more recent models. I can look into swapping struts, for grass operators. However in my experience the oleos are better suited for paved surface.

The other good news as I said earlier is that we don't have any plans to discontinue it, so there's no rush to jump in if you're not quite convinced. But if you've ever seen Tony fly his at Apollo, my guess is you'd make your mind up real quick. With the 12B inrunner in it, I've also showed off my 10-15 foot takeoff roll followed by a straight vertical climb to ~50 feet then snap level and park it in the sky at a near standstill. It's quite a hoot to see.

Comment

We powered up the Venom last year or so with the 12B setup, which traded a bit of flight time for increased speed and thrust. There used to be a camo scheme, but it didn't sell well so was replaced with the red scheme which like the silver scheme has remained consistently popular (even though personally I'm not a fan of the red).

Beyond that, there aren't any modifications planned to the Venom for a V3. The costs involved to retool for both the foam mold and plastic molds to achieve glueless assembly unfortunately aren't an investment we can responsibly make. The good news is that the model doesn't really need multiwing-connectors, since the wing's don't really need to come off --the airplane is a flat plate and transports easily. I suppose its LEDs could be updated, but that's easier done as a DIY with the available DayBright LED sets from our more recent models. I can look into swapping struts, for grass operators. However in my experience the oleos are better suited for paved surface.

The other good news as I said earlier is that we don't have any plans to discontinue it, so there's no rush to jump in if you're not quite convinced. But if you've ever seen Tony fly his at Apollo, my guess is you'd make your mind up real quick. With the 12B inrunner in it, I've also showed off my 10-15 foot takeoff roll followed by a straight vertical climb to ~50 feet then snap level and park it in the sky at a near standstill. It's quite a hoot to see.
                  Thanks Alpha :). I can understand that take on things from a business standpoint. I’ve seen many Venoms fly at Apollo including Tony’s. After seeing all of the different owners fly them over the years, that is what actually sparked my interest in potential purchasing it. Some have been stock and others have been modified, but all fly great. The power to weight ratio seems phenomenal.

For sure the tooling to modify modify the mold in any way for a gluesless design and wing connection changes would be costly and likely not going to be ideal to offset the cost. However, very small details that are less costly and hopefully worth consideration to update include pushrods to have ball link connections all around, not necessary but maybe have some newer digital servos in the plane (the website doesn’t state if it already has digital servos), daybright LED’s, and trailing link mains struts. For me, trailing is obviously not needed because of a paved runway, but many people out there fly off a grass or dirt runways and they are looking for more robust struts, strut pins, and axles. I’m not sure what the above would cost, but if Freewing already has every single one of those pieces currently used in other aircraft and wouldn’t require tooling new designs just for the Venom, maybe it’s feasible. I don’t know the cost of what’s mentioned, even if Freewing already has the components to use. I’m only throwing out ideas from a customer point of view. :)

I may be the unusual one or maybe it’s common, but I do look at overall value when shopping for planes, not just how it flies. How it flies is the first consideration, but then I look at the components I’m getting for the price point, followed by the paint scheme offered. I know your team and Freewing have a massive schedule as it is, and the Venom probably is not high on the priority list, but some refreshed parts is always nice to see on an older plane.

Comment

Does anyone know how the new 5100 Carbon 70C Battery fits into this Plane? According to the specs of the battery, they are exactly the same as the specs of the plane according to the instruction manual.
                    I'm a bit worried about cooling.

Thanks,Dave

Comment

Has any Venom owners had any issues with the outer wing panels flexing more than they should??

Comment

Originally posted by Air Florida View Post
                        Has any Venom owners had any issues with the outer wing panels flexing more than they should??
                        Many friends of mine have reinforced their wings as it developed some unwanted movement over time.

Comment

Does anyone know how the new 5100 Carbon 70C Battery fits into this Plane? According to the specs of the battery, they are exactly the same as the specs of the plane according to the instruction manual.
                          I'm a bit worried about cooling.

Thanks,Dave
                          I flew mine today and I used the last generation of Admiral 5000mah, 6s - the one that is shaped like a brick and not as long as the current ones they sell. Length and width, it's a perfect fit, as is the height. What the manual doesn't tell you is the measurement for the height. That Carbon battery is pretty tall and may sit too high. You may have to gouge out foam in the canopy or it won't close. The old "brick" battery sits level with the lip that the canopy closes on, so no problems.
                          I also have the Turnigy 5000mah, 6s, Heavy Duty and it's almost the same size as the Carbon Admiral. The HD will NOT fit. The canopy will not close. Additionally, the manual recommends a max of 4000mah battery. My 5000mah is already pushing it in terms of balancing. It seems to do OK and flies nicely. The 5100mah Carbon is a lot heavier, so even if you gouge out foam in the canopy to make it close, the plane may be very nose heavy.
                          As for cooling, I don't have any problems with the 5000mah. Get a high enough C rating and it's not going to get that warm.

Comment

Thanks xviper. I never gave the weight issue a thought.
                            I have the current release of the Admiral 5000mah 6s 50C as this is my first venture into anything bigger than a 4s.
                            I will be sure to monitor everything upon maiden. I still haven't been able to get it on the building table yet. I've been busier than a one armed paper hanger! LOL

Comment

Another question for those that have the Venom. I checked the battery size of the current version of the Admiral 5000 6s 50c battery in the compartment and it's a bit long, but it will work.
                              The question is; while I was in there I was looking at the wiring and noticed there is a power wire in the connector from the ESC. This jet comes with an 8 amp bec prewired into the battery connection.
                              Do I need to remove the red wire from the connector to the ESC as the BEC would power the receiver?
                              Thanks in advance for any help.

Dave

Comment

Another question for those that have the Venom. I checked the battery size of the current version of the Admiral 5000 6s 50c battery in the compartment and it's a bit long, but it will work.
                                The question is; while I was in there I was looking at the wiring and noticed there is a power wire in the connector from the ESC. This jet comes with an 8 amp bec prewired into the battery connection.
                                Do I need to remove the red wire from the connector to the ESC as the BEC would power the receiver?
                                Thanks in advance for any help.

Dave
                                You should be good to go Dave as the stock ESC is an “Opto” version so it does not have an internal BEC to deactivate by removing the red middle wire from the throttle servo lead. Just be sure to plug the separate BEC servo lead into a free receiver channel or you can use a Y-harness to connect it to an already used channel. :Cool:

Comment

Originally posted by T-CAT View Post

You should be good to go Dave as the stock ESC is an “Opto” version so it does not have an internal BEC to deactivate by removing the red middle wire. :Cool:
                                  Thanks T-CAT! Had me a bit concerned. :Whew:I didn't want one fighting the other and burning something up or cause a brown out.:(

Comment

Thanks T-CAT! Had me a bit concerned. :Whew:I didn't want one fighting the other and burning something up or cause a brown out.:(
                                    You can always confirm just to be on the safe side by checking the side label of the ESC (can’t remember if one or both sides have it) to ensure it says “Opto” or something similar to refer to no internal BEC.

Comment

Easy way to find out. Don't plug in the external ESC and see what happens. I'll bet nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                        Easy way to find out. Don't plug in the external ESC and see what happens. I'll bet nothing.
                                        Makes sense! :Cool:Don't know why I didn't think of that.:Silly:

Comment

Hi all, it's almost sad that this powerfull EDF jet has so little posts in this thread.

I just passed a 100 flights, completely troublefree! Everything is still stock, only painted the wingtip tanks and part of the elevators for better visibility.

Also, it's the best sounding EDF on the market IMO :Cool:

Here's a vid I just added on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/icarusthe2nd

Comment

Working...
                                          X