Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all! Just bought a silver Venom! Looking forward to flying it. I’m new to RC, only been flying a few months. A little confused with the ESC BEC situation on this model. I’m used to just plugging into the RX and away I go. Manual is a lil confusing also. Is there something I’m missing here?? Is the setup on this bird different than the typical plug and play I’m used to?? Enjoying all the posts you all have contributed to what I think will be the best rc I have yet!! Thank you all!

Comment

Originally posted by Pilot172 View Post
      Hi all! Just bought a silver Venom! Looking forward to flying it. I’m new to RC, only been flying a few months. A little confused with the ESC BEC situation on this model. I’m used to just plugging into the RX and away I go. Manual is a lil confusing also. Is there something I’m missing here?? Is the setup on this bird different than the typical plug and play I’m used to?? Enjoying all the posts you all have contributed to what I think will be the best rc I have yet!! Thank you all!
      The PNP planes you're "used to" have BEC's built into the ESC. The red wire (middle one) supplies the power for the RX. This plane and many others have an external BEC (UBEC as the manual calls it). In fact, the manual does tell you that's what powers the RX. It just doesn't detail how because they figure most people would know this. You plug the UBEC into any empty port on the RX. If you don't have an empty port, just plug it into any port for the bind. After the bind, plug it into the "bind/bat" port since it won't be used anymore unless you are using some kind of telemetry. If you are, then use a "Y" on any port you like and plug it there.
      Since you are new to electrics, you should always bind the RX with the throttle trim on the TX at its lowest point. Some planes don't like it being in the middle (where it has to be for a gas plane that needs to idle). After the bind, you should always do a throttle calibration before you fly.

Comment

Welcome to the Squawk Pilot172!
        Seeing how you are new to the hobby, It would be a good idea to have an instructor do the maiden flight and help you with subsequent flights until you become accustomed to it.:Cool:
        She's a sweet looking bird, but she doesn't land like a trainer!
        Looking forward to how you like the Venom.

Dave

Comment

Still haven't gotten this on the build table,:( been just way to busy and now the holidays aren't making it any easier, but I did manage to order a set of the Freewing Mirage main stuts as an upgrade per Xvipers advice that I will install after maiden.;) Happy Holidays to everyone and their families! May all your Holiday wishes come true! :Cool::)

Comment

Stuart had a blast with the Freewing Venom. Really a great performer despite it's age

Comment

Originally posted by James.MotionRC View Post
              Stuart had a blast with the Freewing Venom. Really a great performer despite it's age
              +1 For that. I've had mine for a few years now and it's still one of my all-time favourite EDF models.
              great for a first venture into jets too.

Comment

would 4500 mah pack fit 190mm x 85mm x 70mm please

Comment

My friend has one and flies it on a 6s 5000. Looks to be a great flyer and it sure can fly slow and even glides well with power off. Pretty much no power landings with it

Comment

Originally posted by gazza View Post
                    would 4500 mah pack fit 190mm x 85mm x 70mm please
                    Are you sure about those measurements? That is an extraordinarily large battery for a 4500mah, 6s. Or are you talking about bigger than 6s? My largest 6s, 5000mah battery is only 145mm x 55mm x 50mm and if I put it into the Venom, the canopy won't close flush. I'd have to carve out some foam from the underside. I typically use an old Admiral 5000mah, 6s and it fits perfectly. You could put in a battery that is as long as 190mm and as wide as 70mm but 45mm is about as tall as it can be and still get the canopy to fit flush. If you fit a 190mm long battery in there, you'd have to shave that little lip near the back of the battery compartment but then, you'd have to find somewhere else to put those 2 modules (1 is the RX and the other is a stock Freewing component).

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3298.JPG Views:	1 Size:	67.0 KB ID:	169723

Comment

"The good news is that the model doesn't really need multiwing-connectors" it does if it won't fit in your car assembled like mine its a pita having to connect the four plugs on each wing everytime, im about to print some multiwing connectors out and fit them to my Venom

Comment

Hi all, I watched Stuart's review and went straight out to buy a Venom.

I'm in the process of detailing it as an RAF version from Op MUSKETEER.

Just waiting on the new roundels to arrive and then it's maiden flight time. Not expecting any issues with it at all. Can't wait to get it into the air.

Comment

All - I love this plane so much I bought a silver ARF and repainted it. This is my rendition of the "Sea Venom" that the RAF used for first jet carrier landings. It did not have any Camo but still had the two-tone paint scheme making the repaint much easier. It looks great in this scheme and I think MRC should adopt this as third option ;-)

Comment

Both repaints look great guys! I have an RAF camo version which looks a lot like yours ceekay, but I can’t take credit for painting it myself, it came that way. Sadly that version was discontinued a few years ago.

Comment

When and why did Freewing change the pilot figure in the Venom?

They appear to have switched it from what I think was one of the best looking pilot figures Freewing made to the one linked below :Confused: (one of the worst looking in my opinion). I’ve noticed this in some recent unboxing videos or pics that I just saw. The better looking pilot figure cannot be found for sale on any website I’ve looked at. Hmm.

https://www.motionrc.com/collections...ilot-figure-10

Comment

New to this forum but long-time RCGroups user as RGS2010...here was my last video of the Venom...starts at 3:35 in the video....Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by Russ View Post
                                  New to this forum but long-time RCGroups user as RGS2010...here was my last video of the Venom...starts at 3:35 in the video....Enjoy!
                                  Welcome to the Squawk Russ! Nice flight on the Venom!:Cool: Sounds awesome too! Can't wait for the weather here to break so I can get my maiden in.

Comment

If you can believe it, I just found this thread! Must say I'm a HUGE fan of the Venom, and despite its age and all the progress that has been made since it first came out in the world of EDF's its still at the very top of my list, as I think you guys can gather from my flight review ;) Will it ever get knocked off the top spot .......

Just wanted to chime in with a post on the new 6000mah Admiral lipo Vs the 5000mah 6s that is the established go to battery for a lot of our EDF's and piston warbirds too. As most of you will know, space in this old bird is tight, designed for smaller, older lipo's of yesteryear. The Venom from the video has been flying great on the 5000mah, but I needed to add approx 60g of lead to the nose to get it to that sweet spot for me balance wise (I do tend to light my models a little nose heavy please note). The longest flight I've recorded is 7mins on this pack in the Venom. Now what could be better than that, well 9mins of flight of course, and that's what I got this weekend with the new 6000mah pack. Now this is was HEAVY mixed throttle use and good energy management, but that's quite an improvement and with the lead weight removed to counter the slight increase in weight over the 5000mah, my wing loading stay approximately the same.

We'll be posting a video in the next few days with the Venom and comparing these two packs, as a visual attempt of demonstrating the increased flight time with these great packs. Tomorrow I'll post some pics from the office too, to show you guys clearly the size and space difference with these two packs in the battery bay.

On the models in recent posts above, VERY nice gents, as always, I love seeing people go to town on their models so thank you for sharing. Speaking of which, can anybody find an example of an RAF/Royal Navy all natural/silver base single seat Venom? I'm keen to fly the flag so to speak (being a Brit) on this video sample Venom I have here at the office, but my usual searching through google didn't yield exact results. Did the British ever have an all silver single seat Venom? The Vampire, yes, but I'm struggling on the Venom.

I'll leave you with a pick from some new in-flight shots that will be making their way to the website soon.

Stuart.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Freewing Venon Motionrc Europe.jpg
Views:	1341
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	188090
                                    Attached Files

Comment

No mix needed on flaps on mine. Yes on the glue for the spar. I use max throws and then compensate with expo for my style of flight. I like to have 100% throws if I ever need it. I use about 40% expo on ailerons to keep em smooth and about 30% expo on elevator and 40% on rudder. Just be sure to keep some power going in on your landings, it will nose dive if you get too slow...don't ask me how I know just suffice it to say I LOVE my second Venom!!!! Now that I know to keep up 15% power on landings, never a problem. It's easily my best performing EDF overall.

Comment

for the record, no need for flap mix.

For the 6000mah 6s, here's the video, show how it fits in there nicely too:

Comment

• Originally posted by Stuart.MotionRC View Post
                                          If you can believe it, I just found this thread! Must say I'm a HUGE fan of the Venom, and despite its age and all the progress that has been made since it first came out in the world of EDF's its still at the very top of my list, as I think you guys can gather from my flight review ;) Will it ever get knocked off the top spot .......

Just wanted to chime in with a post on the new 6000mah Admiral lipo Vs the 5000mah 6s that is the established go to battery for a lot of our EDF's and piston warbirds too. As most of you will know, space in this old bird is tight, designed for smaller, older lipo's of yesteryear. The Venom from the video has been flying great on the 5000mah, but I needed to add approx 60g of lead to the nose to get it to that sweet spot for me balance wise (I do tend to light my models a little nose heavy please note). The longest flight I've recorded is 7mins on this pack in the Venom. Now what could be better than that, well 9mins of flight of course, and that's what I got this weekend with the new 6000mah pack. Now this is was HEAVY mixed throttle use and good energy management, but that's quite an improvement and with the lead weight removed to counter the slight increase in weight over the 5000mah, my wing loading stay approximately the same.

We'll be posting a video in the next few days with the Venom and comparing these two packs, as a visual attempt of demonstrating the increased flight time with these great packs. Tomorrow I'll post some pics from the office too, to show you guys clearly the size and space difference with these two packs in the battery bay.

On the models in recent posts above, VERY nice gents, as always, I love seeing people go to town on their models so thank you for sharing. Speaking of which, can anybody find an example of an RAF/Royal Navy all natural/silver base single seat Venom? I'm keen to fly the flag so to speak (being a Brit) on this video sample Venom I have here at the office, but my usual searching through google didn't yield exact results. Did the British ever have an all silver single seat Venom? The Vampire, yes, but I'm struggling on the Venom.

I'll leave you with a pick from some new in-flight shots that will be making their way to the website soon.

Stuart.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Freewing Venon Motionrc Europe.jpg
Views:	1341
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	188090
                                          Hi Stuart, to my knowledge the RAF did not operate a silver Venom. This is why I painted mine in the Sea Venom scheme which uses a darker top and lighter bottom. The Sea Venom was the first jet to attempt carrier landings with good results. It's because it slows down nicely...

Comment

Working...
                                          X