Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I absolutely love everything about this plane. Unfortunately for me Im just getting into the hobby and I know not to put the cart before the horse. Im just starting to fly a high wing aileron plane and Im going to put in a lot of time on the simulator. What kind of progression plane wise would you all recommend If i wanted to eventually be able to fly the Venom? The club field that I will be flying at is a grass runway 600 feet by 110 feet so I know alot of the smaller electrics with retracts may have issues.

Comment

• Originally posted by jpd424 View Post
      I absolutely love everything about this plane. Unfortunately for me Im just getting into the hobby and I know not to put the cart before the horse. Im just starting to fly a high wing aileron plane and Im going to put in a lot of time on the simulator. What kind of progression plane wise would you all recommend If i wanted to eventually be able to fly the Venom? The club field that I will be flying at is a grass runway 600 feet by 110 feet so I know alot of the smaller electrics with retracts may have issues.
      Welcome to Hobby Squawk jpd424! It's hard to fully determine a progression for any given plane. With any aircraft you will want to be confident that you can obviously fly the aircraft in all directions without getting disorientated. Next progression is getting comfortable with using your switches (flaps, landing gear, rates etc..). That all comes with repetition over time. Then the big difference is jumping from a prop plane to an EDF. They have different flying characteristics all together.

So to answer your first question, you will probably want to start out with a smaller 64mm/70mm edf jet that has flaps and retracts and setting up some high rate and low rates (people tend to take off in high rates, fly in lower rates, land in high rates* just an example). EDF's need to be flown with power more often than not which is different then a high wing cub which can glide without power.

Then, as for the venom, this is a large 90mm EDF with retracts that work great off grass as you can see in our flight review from Stuart (who commented above) on the product page for the model.

It is definitely a worth while goal to strive towards and very achievable, but it will come down to your confidence level. Practice on less expensive, smaller aircraft and you will get there for sure!

Comment

• Thank you for the insight James! My only worry is our club runway is grass so im not sure what plane would actually work with the smaller retracts. My current plane is the eflight valiant so I will get some flap practice with it, just no retracts. I was thinking once i was comfortable with the valiant moving to one of the 64 mm hand launch jets like the p15? Are any of the 70mm with retracts okay on grass?

Comment

• Originally posted by jpd424 View Post
          Thank you for the insight James! My only worry is our club runway is grass so im not sure what plane would actually work with the smaller retracts. My current plane is the eflight valiant so I will get some flap practice with it, just no retracts. I was thinking once i was comfortable with the valiant moving to one of the 64 mm hand launch jets like the p15? Are any of the 70mm with retracts okay on grass?
          I've flown my 70mm Freewing BAe Hawk off grass numerous times and that was the aircraft I used to learn how to fly EDF's. It has an upgraded retracts set that you can add on, but I still have the stock set. The Hawk is a good trainer jet as it flies nice and true and can slow down nicely to practice those landings. Bear in mind, all grass is not the same, but its a great aircraft to learn on and learning how to fix EDF retracts is also a skill worth learning because no matter how good you get at flying, not every landing will be perfect. ;)

Comment

• Awesome thank you! I will take a look at the BAe Hawk! I have a feeling im going to have a collection of planes just sitting in my basement, waiting until i feel im ready to pull them out of the hanger lol. thank you again.

Comment

• The retracts on this plane are NOT "small", at least not the wheels and that's what's the determining factor. Depending on the type of grass you've got, almost all 90mm EDFs with today's powertrains will get off the grass without difficulty. Some may require more elevator to get them to rotate but that's not an issue. Just use high rates on the ELE for take off. Same goes for today's 80mm EDFs and 70mm EDFs that fly on 6s and even some on 4s. When you get down to 64mm with retracts, then you need to analyse the drivetrain and determine for yourself if it's enough to push the plane into the air. You're dealing 600 feet of runway. I've been working off 300 feet of very rough grass. If the thing won't get off the ground in 200 feet, it's not going to in 600 feet.

Comment

• I'd actually go one step further and say the Venom would make an ideal first EDF model, once you've got some experience under your belt with a basic high wing trainer and then general sports/aerobatic model. There is a common saying in this hobby that bigger flies better and the Venom is bigger than most EDF's we sell and a better, more stable flyer than the 70mm Hawk for this very reason.

Its one of THE most forgiving models I've flown in my 20+ years experience, let alone EDF models out there. It can be slowed right down with no real concern for the stall needed and once it get's there, its very gentle anyway. That said it can be fast but again, is extremely stable even at the top end. The ONLY thing to watch out for, it will bounce if you don't flair your final decent to ground and touch down on the rear/main wheels first, but if you were to get the Pandora as your first training model, you can practice 'main' first landings all day long to get comfortable with them.

Grass need not be a concern, as James mentioned, look at the video we did recently, all off grass and it has zero issue with it.

Get your wings on a trainer, get something a little more advanced after that (like an Air Titan for example), at that point I'd have no problem recommending the Venom as the 3rd model (EDF or otherwise).

S.

Comment

• I am currently on my third plane. Started with a multiplex easy star then on to a an older eflight f27 stryker. I wanted to learn how to land since my first two planes have been belly landers. The Valiant I just picked up im hoping will fit that bill. It is a high wing tail dragger / sport flier. It will be different from the trike landing gear im sure but hoping I can practice take offs and landings with it. Besides its great looks your videos showing the large flight envelope of the Venom is what really peaked my interest. The way you were flying it in your videos is exactly what I was looking for. I love the way you could bring the throttle down some and not have to run it full throttle the entire time.

Comment

• Well then I'd say you're almost there and I can tell you that most of why the Venom looked so good in the video was down to the model and not the pilot ;)But that is some great feedback and appreciated, will help keep my game up on future videos, so thank you.

And you are right on the throttle observation, you could in fact happily fly the Venom an entire flight and never go above 2/3 throttle. Most of the T/O's I do with her now I'm rotating and climbing at no more than 3/4 throttle, so everything after that is just a bonus.

S.

Comment

• Originally posted by T-CAT View Post
                      Alpha, that Venom looks incredible. Great job on the additions. I love that method on the F-86 too.

Do you think Freewing is game to improve upon this airframe with small additions? That is unless they want to go further for advancements. For example, say a V3 in a different paint scheme or keep the current paint offerings, but use the new multi-box and multi-connect wing harness for easy removal of the wings, provide ball link connectors on all the pushrods, some trailing link style struts (there must be some that fit this airframe that Freewing already produces), larger wheel axles and retract/strut pins, a canopy latch, and a full length wing carbon spar?

I think the above additions would be great. I have never owned this jet, and have only seem it fly many many times. It appears to be one of those hidden gems. However, I can’t get myself to spend the money on a Kit Plus or PNP. Since the jet has been around quite some time, it’s showing it’s age with the technology that’s in it for the price point it’s at when I compare it to something like the new Freewing L-39 80mm EDF jet. For $10 less, I can get the L-39 Kit Plus and I feel the value of what I’m getting far surpasses the Venom. With the additions above, it’s likely I’d bight the bullet and purchase one, but I’m not sure others would, but hopefully. I don’t know what Freewing’s plans are for this aircraft, whether it’ll be discontinued soon, or stay around a while longer as it is, but I’d like to see a breath of fresh air put into it.

I don't think this next aspect is possible to have as I don’t know how difficult or expensive it would be (likely very expensive, ha-ha), but I’d like to see a more glueless assembly. The booms are okay to glue on, but it would be nice to see the horizontal and vertical stabilizers mate together with mounts and screws. I’m not sure what the V2 improvements are to the tail areas, but it’s seems like possible carbon reinforcement, but the website description doesn’t specifically state how or what is improved in that area.
                      Version 2.1 ?;)

For my new purchase I have drawn a Afterburner because the existing parts of a R.I.P Freewing F-16 90mm are available and they fit perfectly. The cable duct I have with a 5mm brass tube as seen on one of the photo is drilled through. Unfortunately for the F-16 I was on my landing approach behind the trees.

Google Translate
                      Afterburner Ring for Freewing Venom. Required parts: https://www.motionrc.com/products/freewing-90mm-f-16-tail-flame-led-lights https://www.motionrc.com/products/freewing-90mm-f-16-controller-module

Comment

• Although it looks cool, its not scale accurate. Dehavilland engines did not use afterburners at the time...

Comment

• Gents,
                          I have a question I'm throwing my Venom together and the instructions have labeled the outer most horizontal stab pieces as, elevator "A" and elevator "B". The issue is there is absolutely NO markings on the pieces at all. They appear identical in that they appear symmetrical on top and bottom. However I'd like to make sure that they are so that I don't glue them on the opposite sides, possibly causing my jet to nose up as speed is increased. Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

• Originally posted by Phantom View Post
                            Gents,
                            I have a question I'm throwing my Venom together and the instructions have labeled the outer most horizontal stab pieces as, elevator "A" and elevator "B". The issue is there is absolutely NO markings on the pieces at all. They appear identical in that they appear symmetrical on top and bottom. However I'd like to make sure that they are so that I don't glue them on the opposite sides, possibly causing my jet to nose up as speed is increased. Any help would be appreciated.
                            If I recall correctly, it doesn't matter which one goes on which side, so long as you have the short panel pointing forward. That's the only way they will fit without forcing them or compressing foam. In this way, they follow the panel lines of the elevator on the other side of the boom. In that sense, they are identical. Always do a dry fit before gluing to ensure you have it right. They should have just called them, "elevator outer tips".
                            Look at the end profile (or the profile of the slot they fit into). They are symmetrical through the longitudinal line and as such they will not produce any incidental lift or down motion regardless of them being upside down or right side up.

Comment

• Thanks Xviper, they looked symmetrical to me as well but I wanted to be sure.

Comment

• When I put mine together, I couldn't tell them apart so after the test fit, I just glued them permanently. The plane flies fine. Even if they were specific left and right, they are such small pieces, I doubt they have that much affect that can't be trimmed out by the other surfaces. Nevertheless, just know that you'll need some UP elevator for it to fly level. All 3 of my Venoms were like that. The first one more so than the last two. That's because the first one, I glued the tail booms on and left them to cure right side up. I later found out that the proper way to do it is to glue them, leave the plane inverted with the booms secured in some way (I used gentle clamping) for the glue to cure overnight. That seems to allow the booms to droop the way they're supposed to and the elevator incidence doesn't have to be so severe. The first one needed about 4 to 5 degrees of UP, while the later 2 only needs ~2 degrees. There's nothing wrong with the plane. That's just the way it is. This is also the way it is with the big A-10s and the B-26. Converting the full size plane to a foam model needed something to be tweaked but never got tweaked.
                                PS, I also added trailing links mains to reduce the landing bounce. Seems to have been of great help.

Comment

• Xviper,
                                  The only trailing links I have laying around came off my A-10, I'll have to look into that. I read the thread prior to posting and saw your upside down gluing method for the tail booms, but thanks for reiterating that point, I hate to fly with control surfaces at anything but neutral, although I know we're dealing with foam and therefore can't be helped sometimes. Last question on those two outer stab pieces, they seem to have a hole each for possibly a carbon fiber rod to go through. I watched Skipbuiltrc's YouTube video on his build of V1 and he also had a hole in the tail boom and center section of the horizontal stab, but no rod in his box. Was this just something that was found to be unnecessary, the rod I mean?

Comment

• I think my trailing links came from another big jet but they are similar to the A-10's. It will require some foam carving to make them fit when retracted. I'm not sure what those holes are for. I don't think they are for rods. I didn't get any nor did I use any. I think they may be for excess glue to go so that they don't push the piece out due to the snug fit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dual Prop Dave View Post
                                      Does anyone know how the new 5100 Carbon 70C Battery fits into this Plane? According to the specs of the battery, they are exactly the same as the specs of the plane according to the instruction manual.
                                      I'm a bit worried about cooling.

Thanks,Dave
                                      I know I’m answering an old post but I just sandwiched the 5100 Carbon 70c into the cockpit. I cut about 1/8 of an inch of foam from both the sides inside by the Velcro straps. It was very easy because the only part you need to trim is the little parts that extend out on both sides of the Velcro.

If you then put the 5100 inside so the label is facing to the side it will fit, I did not have to cut the canopy or the “floor” of the battery area. I did cut some foam away from just above the two electrical “boxes”. That space was needed for the thick lipo wires to have room to loop and connect.

Also to gain space I mounted my Futaba receiver into the inside of the canopy where the foam is recessed.

From what I have read and watched there are a lot of Lipo options. I’m hoping the extra weight will eliminate the need for adding dead weight. Plus never anything wrong with a little extra capacity. When it comes to Ducted Fans I’ve always wanted as much C rating as possible.

I haven’t assembled “her” yet. Figured it was easier to wrestle with all the wires and fit issue with the lipo while still apart.

Finally while still apart I clear coated her with Eze-Coat, a water based resin. I wanted to try to protect the paint and the added gloss gives the Silver paint job a more metallic look.

I’ll post some photos when the assembly is complete.

Steve

Comment

• Originally posted by Stevedots View Post

I know I’m answering an old post but I just sandwiched the 5100 Carbon 70c into the cockpit. I cut about 1/8 of an inch of foam from both the sides inside by the Velcro straps. It was very easy because the only part you need to trim is the little parts that extend out on both sides of the Velcro.

If you then put the 5100 inside so the label is facing to the side it will fit, I did not have to cut the canopy or the “floor” of the battery area. I did cut some foam away from just above the two electrical “boxes”. That space was needed for the thick lipo wires to have room to loop and connect.

Also to gain space I mounted my Futaba receiver into the inside of the canopy where the foam is recessed.

From what I have read and watched there are a lot of Lipo options. I’m hoping the extra weight will eliminate the need for adding dead weight. Plus never anything wrong with a little extra capacity. When it comes to Ducted Fans I’ve always wanted as much C rating as possible.

I haven’t assembled “her” yet. Figured it was easier to wrestle with all the wires and fit issue with the lipo while still apart.

Finally while still apart I clear coated her with Eze-Coat, a water based resin. I wanted to try to protect the paint and the added gloss gives the Silver paint job a more metallic look.

I’ll post some photos when the assembly is complete.

Steve
                                        Thanks Steve

I appreciate your response and welcome to the Squawk.

Dave

Comment

• Thanks Dave,

Had my maiden flight last week with two additional flights, then 4 flights today. I apologize for no video.

First flight she took off much quicker than I expected. I was using half flaps but in my “maiden” excitement I took off with full power and she got into the air like a STOAL bush plane!

The maiden wasn’t without a heart stopping moment. I mis-set my flap/elevator mix so when I wanted to slow down for landing and I hit the flaps she took a hard nose dive. I heard the spectators go “ohh” and it was so close to the trees I suddenly saw my wife’s face and I was thinking, “ How am I going to explain buying a second Venom so soon!” I leveled off just in time, killed the flaps and landed without flaps.

i found that a friend with a Venom started with a flap/elevator mix but gradually ended up with no elevator mix. I got rid of my mix and it has been great flying since. Also it helps now to have 7 flights.

Today I was flying trying the different recommended throws. I’ve found that I like to take off on low, fly mostly on low to middle rates then land on low rates again. For taxing I go to high rates to better steer on the grass.

Now that I am bit more comfortable with this plane I want to bring it to the field all the time. I will have to buy a 3rd lipo for it because 2 isn’t enough! It is one of those planes that just flys great!

Im flying a stock plug and play with a the Admiral 70 c 5100 6 cell, no weight added. A very small amount of foam was removed, more for the wires than the lipo. Last flight, with an extra go around was 4:45 and that was with a lot of full throttle passes, I think if I tried I could stretch a flight a bit longer with throttle management. The lipos all came down cool and at 30%, it was a hot 90+ degree day so I think they were cooler coming out of the jet than they would have been just sitting on the flight bench!

Buy this plane and buy extra lipos for it!

Steve

Comment

Working...
                                          X