Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've been wanting one of these Venoms since I saw a YouTube video of a low high-speed pass with that realistic turbine sound. I bought a used one in good condition PNP for $200 in silver livery. It should be arriving tomorrow.

Comment

• You're going to love it. It was the first EDF jet that wowed me with it's performance. It just floats off of the runway at half throttle and then has an impressive climb out. It's not unlimited in vertical but it’ll get up there in a hurry. It also lands pretty slow but don’t get too slow or it’ll stall on you. Good luck with it. I still have mine and don’t have any plans to part with it.

Originally posted by Rocky9 View Post
      I've been wanting one of these Venoms since I saw a YouTube video of a low high-speed pass with that realistic turbine sound. I bought a used one in good condition PNP for $200 in silver livery. It should be arriving tomorrow.

Comment

• Short flyby clip...this plane is starting to become my favorite.

Comment

• Hello,
          I´m a newby from Munich Germany - already bought a silver venom but did not assemble it til now. Does someone have meassured the speed of the Venom at full throttle?

Comment

• Originally posted by Venlove View Post
            Hello,
            I´m a newby from Munich Germany - already bought a silver venom but did not assemble it til now. Does someone have meassured the speed of the Venom at full throttle?
            I haven't measured it, but she is quick at full speed passes and goes a long way in the vertical. Power is not an issue on this bird! She is one of my favorites, but is a draggy airframe, I honestly think the stock setup gives you as much speed as you can get from her.

By the way a little advice, this bird is a *****cat to fly, really easy. However the tuffs of grass growing up in between the concrete cracks at my field got a little long and pulled one of the bomb racks off prior to lift off. Flying with one rack out on the wing was like flying a twin prop WWII bomber with one engine down! It was an emergency procedure to get her back on the ground in one piece! The single bomb rack way out the on the wing just created too much of a yawing moment. I took the other bomb rack off and took her back up, she was just as smooth and awesome as I remember.

Comment

• Originally posted by Phantom View Post

I haven't measured it, but she is quick at full speed passes and goes a long way in the vertical. Power is not an issue on this bird! She is one of my favorites, but is a draggy airframe, I honestly think the stock setup gives you as much speed as you can get from her.

By the way a little advice, this bird is a *****cat to fly, really easy. However the tuffs of grass growing up in between the concrete cracks at my field got a little long and pulled one of the bomb racks off prior to lift off. Flying with one rack out on the wing was like flying a twin prop WWII bomber with one engine down! It was an emergency procedure to get her back on the ground in one piece! The single bomb rack way out the on the wing just created too much of a yawing moment. I took the other bomb rack off and took her back up, she was just as smooth and awesome as I remember.
              Yes, but it would be interesting what the max. speed is (guess >90 mph when I`m looking the YouTube videos). I think I´ll messure it with a Graupner Vario-GPS if there is enough place for it. Place could be an issue because I´ll fly it wih a 6S 6000 since I own this batteries already.
              Incredible that such a small bomb rack has so much influence on the wing geometry und air resistance. I think I´ll fly it without bomb racks the first times.

Comment

• Originally posted by Venlove View Post

Yes, but it would be interesting what the max. speed is (guess >90 mph when I`m looking the YouTube videos). I think I´ll messure it with a Graupner Vario-GPS if there is enough place for it. Place could be an issue because I´ll fly it wih a 6S 6000 since I own this batteries already.
                Incredible that such a small bomb rack has so much influence on the wing geometry und air resistance. I think I´ll fly it without bomb racks the first times.
                It was eye opening. I have over 60 flights on her with and without the racks, I usually leave them on because they aid in orientation a bit, especially coming out of those high verticals. I learned my lesson though, wind resistance isn't going to rip them off, they are seated pretty deep in the wing. If you are flying off anything except for smooth, or hard packed surface I'd remove them.

Comment

• Hi just got the Venom ,great model and I love it but every time I land it bounces all over the place but when I watch all the videos it lands like a ***** cat .What am I doing wrong .Any tips please on how to stop it bouncing on landing would be appreciated

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Moron View Post
                    Hi just got the Venom ,great model and I love it but every time I land it bounces all over the place but when I watch all the videos it lands like a ***** cat .What am I doing wrong .Any tips please on how to stop it bouncing on landing would be appreciated
                    I posted this back on the first page, because it's an appropriate question that is asked by others, so don't feel like you're the only one.

"Grass isn't a problem, its wide landing gear and floaty wing give it several advantages. Keep your speed up on landing, though. As I'm fond of saying, the Venom can fly slower up high than it likes to land down low."

You'll also want to time your flare as you're about shin height or ankle height. The elevator can get blanked out as the model enters ground effect, so you want to initiate the flare at the right speed and the right time. The Venom in this way does have a narrower threshold required to grease a landing, but it is possible with practice (and even more rewarding!)
                    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Thanks Alpha,will try that

Comment

Thanks Alpha,will try that
                        Cpt,

Can you describe the touch down and how it bounces all over the place? Is it falling through, like losing lift and dropping vertical onto the landing surface? Are you touching down on the mains, all 3 gear at once?Does the nose wheel touch first? Do you feel like you are landing hot? Such as landing with enough speed that you pop up or remain light on the wheels?

Just trying to get a feel for what's going on, this really is an incredibly well manner jet. What are your flap settings for landing? Hopefully I can help, lastly what size battery are you flying with?

Comment

Hi just got the Venom ,great model and I love it but every time I land it bounces all over the place but when I watch all the videos it lands like a ***** cat .What am I doing wrong .Any tips please on how to stop it bouncing on landing would be appreciated
                          I'll bet you watched vids that featured "lucky" or very skilled landings. I flew mine a few days ago (I've had it for a couple of years). The first landing was full flaps and it bounced about 3 times. Second landing was with 1/2 flaps and it bounced once (small bounce). Next time I fly it, I'll try landing with no flaps and see if it gets better and more consistent. Oh, and I've installed trailing links on mine. The landings were so much worse when I had the stock gear. Also, keep some throttle and learn to fly it "onto" the ground and NOT drop it "into" the ground. It did it when I was flying off grass and off GeoTex. This plane is prone to bouncy landings but the proper technique can cure that. It just takes practice.

Comment

• I do not use the flaps and I think I am coming in to slow and it seems to drop on the strip ,hence the bounce . I think I need to come in a bit faster ,like it has been mentioned " fly it in " .Is it best to use flaps ( lots of flaps , just a little flaps ? or no flaps .It seems to land OK then it does a little bounce then a bigger bounce then it does a big bonce and comes down on it's nose ( already broke the nose off on a landing ) I am using 6s 4500 batteries and it is on the factory C of G settings . I have tried coming in fast but still with no flaps but I get the same reaction ,bonce , bonce and wow to bigger a bounce .I have watch Steward land he's on the Motion RC Europe video and he comes in fairly slow and has no problem landing

Comment

• It depends on conditions, but in general, I don't use any flaps. I may be in the minority here. Either way, the key is don't land too slowly. The Venom can be flown to a near standstill with minimum headwind, it's like a kite, but when it comes time to land, I carry a bit of speed, flat descent, and tiny flare onto the mains at ankle height. Once the nose touches down, I'm prepared to push full forward elevator to pin the nose down. Depending on my airspeed, I may even blip the throttle at that same moment to advantage the elevator.

I rarely chop and drop, preferring instead to carry power to maintain airflow over the elevator for authority.

Adequate airspeed
                              Flat trajectory
                              Well timed flare on both mains at the same time
                              Pin down the nose

If you bounce hard upward and see a wing dipping, don't panic, just punch throttle to full and level the wings before they exceed 40 degrees, and you'll fly out for another go around. Don't pull up, just power up and keep it level. The Venom is powerful enough and floaty enough that I've recovered from knee height bounces at odd angles and very flat climb outs without issue, as long as the wings are level and throttle is maxed.

​​​​
                              Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

I do not use the flaps and I think I am coming in to slow and it seems to drop on the strip ,hence the bounce . I think I need to come in a bit faster ,like it has been mentioned " fly it in " .Is it best to use flaps ( lots of flaps , just a little flaps ? or no flaps .It seems to land OK then it does a little bounce then a bigger bounce then it does a big bonce and comes down on it's nose ( already broke the nose off on a landing ) I am using 6s 4500 batteries and it is on the factory C of G settings . I have tried coming in fast but still with no flaps but I get the same reaction ,bonce , bonce and wow to bigger a bounce .I have watch Steward land he's on the Motion RC Europe video and he comes in fairly slow and has no problem landing
                                Cpt,

Rather than re-writing what I just wrote in another thread about landing and the use of flaps a few days ago, check out the few paragraphs below for setting yourself up for a successful landing.

I've changed the flap settings on this particular bird because the split flaps add less lift than other types of flaps because they don't increase the camber of the wing. They are more for drag. I still use 20 Degrees for my take off setting, as it is still a tradeoff between drag and lift, due to it creating a high pressure area under the wing, especially in ground effect, thereby increasing lift. I use 60 degrees for normal landings in light winds, and 20 degrees in high, gusty, or crosswind landings. The ONLY time I use zero degrees for landings is when it's extremely high winds or I've got a "mile" of runway for the longer rollout.

This bird is capable of 90 degrees of flaps, which is 100% drag and can really slow her down for almost STOL like landings. But I consider that an advanced skill landing, due to the need for meticulous throttle management.

If while learning this approach you happen to land "hot" but she sticks without bouncing, push the elevator stick full forward! The drag and downward moment with create artificial "weight " on wheels, will prevent you from popping back up into the air and it will slow her down. Ok "nuff" of that landing paragraphs below...

On your downwind drop your gear and select takeoff flaps, your 20 degrees, throttle back enough to slow her down but not enough to descend, probably about 50%. This will help prevent "ballooning " due to your increased lift that your 20 degrees of flaps is providing you.

Once you feel like you've achieved the balance where you are using just enough throttle to maintain altitude, drop your landing flaps and adjust your pitch down to start your descent adjust your throttle down first then up if need be to control your constant rate of descent. Keep the slight nose down attitude because your flap setting and your slow turning props are actually producing drag, acting like speed brakes.

Once you are in ground effect, or about 1 to 1 1/2 wingspans height above your landing zone, relax pressure on your forward stick until the aircraft is level, her descent will slow at first, then when it starts to increase, slowly pitch the nose up while simultaneously creeping back on that little bit of power you still had in, and she'll touch down on the mains nice and gentle. Piece of cake 👍

Works on about all airframes with the exception of delta winged jets. Good luck.

Comment

• Sounds so easy doesn't it ! I find the hardest thing to teach EDF students who are used to gliding their models in is, NOT TO ! Is definitely a learned skill to balance elevator and throttle settings when on final for that perfect roller landing.

Haven't landed my Venom with 90 degree of flaps but sounds intriguing, will try on next no low wind day. The Venom does stick much better on grass than tarmac no matter the skill level.

Comment

• Originally posted by killickb View Post
                                    Sounds so easy doesn't it ! I find the hardest thing to teach EDF students who are used to gliding their models in is, NOT TO ! Is definitely a learned skill to balance elevator and throttle settings when on final for that perfect roller landing.

Haven't landed my Venom with 90 degree of flaps but sounds intriguing, will try on next no low wind day. The Venom does stick much better on grass than tarmac no matter the skill level.
                                    I use two methods of approach for the 90 degrees of flap. The first works really well on the FW 80mm F-5 also. This technique is for airfields that have short runways and tall obstacles on final.

On late downwind drop your gear and select takeoff flaps, throttle back and slow down like you normally would. Drop full flaps 90 degrees on the Venom, 80 degrees on the F-5. Do not add power for the additional drag, leave it at your previous setting, the bird will slow more and the nose will drop. Let it, turn base using rudder and a slight bank but try to keep the wings as level as you can. The reduced AOA on the wings leading edge, due to the nose low attitude will prevent the wing from stalling. The bird will settle into a constant speed balanced by the drag, (gear and full flaps), and the low power setting. 5 feet off the deck, pull back smoothly on the elevator to obtain a level pitch attitude, by the time you have it you're in ground effect and bleeding of airspeed rapidly, but no longer descending. As soon as the airspeed drops off enough so that the bird resumes it's descent, smoothly pull back on the elevator while simultaneously adding power for a nice touchdown.

Comment

• Second technique is a shallow approach, with a normal 8 to 12 degrees of pitch up attitude dragging the bird in using 30 to 40 percent power, you lose about 30 seconds of flying time due to this being a power hungry approach, but it's a really cool one to practice. I'm going flying tomorrow I'll try to Gopro a couple and post a link, of the first type of approach, the airfield I'm going to won't allow a shallow approach.

Comment

• Weather is looking good for tomorrow so will put what you all have said into practice tomorrow and I see what happens .thanks for all your advice .I let you all know what happens tomorrow

Comment

• Well had 8 flights with the Venom today and put in to practice all the advice you all recommended and had 8 great landings ,no bouncing ,in fact once I got use to landing the way everyone explained how to land it I found by the end of the day it was a ***** cat to land with out bouncing it .Thanks everyone problem solved

Comment

Working...
                                          X