Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Freewing de Havilland DH-112 Venom V2 90mm EDF Jet

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Freewing de Havilland DH-112 Venom V2 90mm EDF Jet

Hello everyone. We had a chance to fly this bird down in Texas at Warbirds over Grapevine and what a beauty. Wanted to start the official thread and post the spec and the flight review.

Freewing 90mm EDF de Havilland DH 112 Venom Jet Version 2

This is the new version 2 (V2) of Freewing's Venom EDF Jet with Swiss red livery. This upgraded version has significant upgrades to both the power system and the airframe. The Venom V2 now includes a 12 blade fan, 130A Hobbywing ESC, and powerful 3748-1450kv brushless motor. Structural upgrades include an increased number of carbon wing spars for rigidity, strengthening of the overall tail section, and a complete redesign of the horizontal and vertical stabilizer sections for improved performance and scale appearance. FEATURES:
    • New - 90mm 12 blade ducted fan with metal housing and powerful 3748-1450kV brushless motor provides awesome power and incredible real-life jet turbine sound.
    • New - Premium quality 130 Amp Hobbywing ESC with 8A UBEC.
    • New - stronger tail section, with revised rudder and elevator.
    • New - Increased carbon spar count and EPO foam construction provide the perfect balance between strength and flexibility.
    • Incredible scale details including hand-painted pilots, scale canopy, shock absorbing landing gear, sequenced landing doors, and stunning Swiss Air Force graphics package.
    • Large, nearly 5 foot, wingspan provides incredible scale detail and easy to see even at high speeds.
    • Bright LED navigation lights for enhanced realism and dawn/dusk maneuvers.
    • Electronic retractable landing gear with aluminum shock absorbing struts and sequenced gear doors.
    • Full function flaps allow shorter take-off distances and slow, scale landings.
    • Nylon hinges on all control surfaces (superior to foam hinges).
    • Motor, servos, ESC and EDF come pre-installed for your convenience.
    REQUIRES:
    • 6 Channel Radio - Select a minimum 6 channel radio from our Radio Collection
    • 6 Channel Receiver - Select a minimum 6 channel receiver from our Receiver Collection
    • 6 Cell 22.2V 4000mAh LiPo Battery with EC5 connector - EPR40006PRO
    • 6 Cell Compatible Battery Charger - Select a minimum 6 cell (6S) charger from our Charger Collection

Tech Note: As of November 2016, all Ready2Fly products have been integrated into the Freewing Model International brand. The package and manual of this product “may” still reflect the Ready2Fly brand, however, please rest assured you have purchased the proper Freewing product. Also, this model does NOT include a weapons set. This is the Swiss airshow livery which did not utilize weapons. PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS:

AGE LEVEL : 18 AND UP
    SKILL LEVEL : INTERMEDIATE
    BUILD TIME : 2+ HOURS
    Wingspan 1500mm / 59in
    Length 1100mm / 43.3in
    Flying Weight 2500g / 88.2oz
    CG (Center of Gravity) See Manual
    Power System 3748-1450kv Brushless Motor
    Electronic Speed Control 130A, 8A UBEC with EC5 connector
    Propeller / EDF 90mm 12-Blade EDF
    Servos 9 x 9g high speed servos
    Landing Gear Nose and main gear have electronic retracts with shock-absorbing aluminum struts
    Required Battery 6S 22.2V 3600-4000mAh 40C LiPo with EC5 connector
    Required Radio 6 Channel
    Ailerons Yes
    Elevator Yes
    Rudder Yes
    Flaps Yes
    Lights Yes
    Hinge Type Nylon hinges
    Material EPO Foam
    Skill Level Intermediate
    Build Time 2 Hours
    Recommended Environment Outdoor

Here's Stuart taking the Venom Through it's paces

Comment

I have many Freewing jets from MRC ..... the Venom is hands down the best sounding ..... and fly's impeccably...... one of the best foamy EDF's ever made IMO.

Comment

I was shocked there wasn't an official thread yet! This model was so much fun to fly last weekend. Have to pick one up myself!

Comment

Just bought one! Can't wait to fly this beautiful bird!

Comment

You will be very happy. One of the best flying.EDF's out there.

I haven't flown mine in a while. I need to blow the cobwebs off of it and get it back in the rotation.

Originally posted by patrick verlinden View Post
            Just bought one! Can't wait to fly this beautiful bird!

Comment

Pilot Ryan and Captain Mike - my son who won the Venom at Warbirds over Grapevine loves flying it and this was his first EDF! Thank you again for coming to visit us! The Venom has a wide flight envelop so its perfect as a trainer EDF but it is also very fast if needed - lots of fun!

Comment

Love this EDF. I am surprised there isn't more conversation about this one. It is on my short list to purchase after watching a few videos of it.

Comment

Here's mine after 2 years of flying and the original 5 (6?) blade fan/motor replaced by a Jetfan 90 unit and currently uses 6000mAh packs, which I suspect is making her a tad nose heavy.
                  Fly's superbly regardless!

Comment

Originally posted by meadowhay View Post
                    Here's mine after 2 years of flying and the original 5 (6?) blade fan/motor replaced by a Jetfan 90 unit and currently uses 6000mAh packs, which I suspect is making her a tad nose heavy.
                    Fly's superbly regardless!
                    Looks great! I like your weathering job too. Very nice looking! I've got to get one of these, but just bought the 1.5m FMS P-47 from MRC, so I will probably have to wait a month or so!!

Comment

I love this bird! I flew it recently as my first EDF Jet and it's just great!

Comment

Thinking of buying one... our field is grass though; will it operate OK?

Comment

Originally posted by skygeezer View Post
                          Thinking of buying one... our field is grass though; will it operate OK?
                          Grass is not a problem. It's got plenty of power to drive through it. However, gopher holes are another matter ...................................

Comment

Grass isn't a problem, its wide landing gear and floaty wing give it several advantages. Keep your speed up on landing, though. As I'm fond of saying, the Venom can fly slower up high than it likes to land down low.
                            Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Here'a a video of a Vampire display that serves extremely well to illustrate the way to show off vintage jets to their best advantage... Lots of smooth, joined up maneuvers to show the shape of the aeroplane.
                              Try counting the time it takes to complete rolls and loops. It's surprisingly slow compared to our normal model standards.
                              This isn't meant as a criticism of anyone's flying, after all, it's your model - fly it how you like! just an exercise in reproducing scale flight.

Enjoy the video!
                              Pete

Comment

Trade for a new DH-112 Venom today, never flown.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180304_223713798_iOS.jpg
Views:	3574
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	120904

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180304_203155301_iOS.jpg
Views:	3745
Size:	337.1 KB
ID:	120905
                                TiredIron Aviation
                                Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

I saw one fly at Grapevine last fall I was impressed with how stable it was and quite you could barely hear it coming at you.

Comment

Just got a Venom. I have two questions. 1) When gluing on the tail booms, should I put a little glue on the carbon tubes as well as the EPO foam, so the tubes don't vibrate and wear over time? 2) What are the control throws, expo settings, and elevator compensation (mix) for flaps?

Comment

Originally posted by hotdogx View Post
                                      Just got a Venom. I have two questions. 1) When gluing on the tail booms, should I put a little glue on the carbon tubes as well as the EPO foam, so the tubes don't vibrate and wear over time? 2) What are the control throws, expo settings, and elevator compensation (mix) for flaps?
                                      Those tubes are quite snug. They won't wear over time. If you must, use very little on the tubes. If you ever need to replace those booms after a crash, the less glue the better. Also, have the plane upside down as the glue cures so that any drooping in the booms will keep the angle of attack of the elevator positive.
                                      Do the control throws as per the manual for max and min. Expo is a personal thing and differs from one person to another. The higher the rate, the more expo I prefer. You can always start with 20. Set a long deployment time for the flaps (like 3 to 4 seconds) and no ELE comp is needed. This thing has a fairly big wingspan for its length. You'll likely want to use high rates for AIL to get a good roll rate. I usually go low rates on everything on landing final to help smooth it out.

Comment

xviper,

I must have a different manual from you - my Venom manual does not specify control throws..

Comment

Working...
                                        X