Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know if this would be a good EDF trainer if I got the gear?

Comment

• I would not recommend it. Mine has the gear and it flies off concrete. But it has to be flown all the time. Not a trainer in my opinion... been flying 33 years...:Cool:

Comment

• Originally posted by Grady.c View Post
        Anyone know if this would be a good EDF trainer if I got the gear?
        This is a missile, so nope, not a good EDF trainer at all. The P.15 on the other hand......

Comment

• I love my F-105 second jet I ever flew I installed an AR636 and it flies great. faster than the Eflight F-15 by a little and chews through batteries. I launch mine at 45* angle full throttle in auto level mode and she flies straight out after leveling then turn off auto level and rip!!!

EK~

Comment

• We're still wondering which of these planes to use as a base for our painting tutorial. So far I've repainted all of our Toss and Boss planes, both the pocket warbirds and the pocket parkjets. I posted pictures of this Thunderchief months ago, but after some touchups I reshot it. I also have some other ideas planned for it. For now it's a great "Mantle Model", like those wood static desktop displays I used to collect as a kid, except this one actually flies.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03529.JPG
Views:	813
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	199206Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03516.JPG
Views:	888
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	199204

Name:	DSC03518.JPG
Views:	863
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	199205Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03519.JPG
Views:	952
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	199203

Name:	DSC03525.JPG
Views:	857
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	199202

Three four primary external colors were built up over about ten different base colors (red, rust, oil brown, yellow). This imparts lots of tonal variation between transitions of camouflage, panels, and open areas. The idea was to simulate a sun-faded aircraft. I don't have Callie in Asia so I made do with hand drawn accents. I'm still undecided on a tail number. Perhaps I'll save that for the Tutorial video.

Name:	DSC03521.JPG
Views:	830
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	199207

Attached Files
            Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Got me another 64mm line edf;

-painted the intakes red, opened the main vent hes on the fuselage about 3mm, and about 5mm on the rear vents close to the ducted fan. Noticed a significant increase in watts, easy to hand launch w a 2200mah, 1600mah to a 1300mah. IMO the 2200mah is the way to go, flies more scale and no shakiness at low speed, 3:30 to almost 4min.
              A thin coating of Elmers glue 75/25 water to protect the decals and get rid off the cheesy shine.
              On a 1300mah sport flying, 2:30 minutes.

The CG is like in the guide, 14-3/8, but a slight tail heavy, so slightly, once in the sky will track as other say, like an arrow/dart.

Loops are so so, rolls are stupid snappy. It does blend w the sky, so a good eye and 100% complete attention. I may cut a little of the bottom skid plate, imo is too much fin under the fuselage.

​​​​​​:Cool:
              Attached Files

Comment

• Alpha..... Now that's how a Thud should look !

Comment

• Mine just never was satisfactory. I blame the altitude. Field is 5000+ and in the summer air density can be North of 8000ft.

Not enough power to hand launch, so have to use the gear. Roll out on take off was scale, needing several 100ft to get to airspeed. Once it was.up to speed it was ok.

All these 64mm need a 4s option for us thin air folks. I'd definitely get a new one if it were 4s

Comment

• A shot side by side w a Eflite F15 4S veersion and SAFE select systemClick image for larger version  Name:	20190705_154629.jpg Views:	0 Size:	225.8 KB ID:	204650 ​​​

Comment

• Am able to fly the Thunderchief,
                      w 1300, 1600, 1800 and a light 2200 20C, not the heavier 40C 2200.

Its tricky to set the aileron and elevator (ELEVON) setting right w dual rates, using a Futaba 10J w 6 channel Corona receiver, FHSS protocol. Have managed about 15 flights since I received it last Tuesday. I try to run four packs/flights per plane.

Its bone stock, 3S w the 30A brandless ESC. Opened the naca ducts (I think thats how its called) and added half of a spoon piece as a duct painted black. Flies the same, w a little more punch and sounds more realistic of a whoosh sound than the annoying vacuum cleaner noise.

Let me correct, that after a few flights 1800mah is about right, and w good flying envelope, keep the speed up, wings leveled and easy on the elevons when bringing it in, belly lands smoothly. I like how it shakes before dropping a wing, je je, does its wiggle dance as I call. For some reason, this little jet has personality and I like more than the F22 Raptor. Am frustrated that I still need to dial a little more the elevons for loops as so far they are just ugly, as soon as it goes vertical, and yank it to do the loop, the plane is all over tumbling in the sky, which besides elevon not set correctly, is a sign of lacking power.

I still like my little Thunderchief, its one of those to always bring along and enjoy it at half to full throttle darting across the field and its unique landing.

Comment

• Has anyone flew this on 4s? Looking for some 64mm EDF as I can fly them around the house.
                        Planes
                        -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
                        -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Comment

• Originally posted by thisguy65 View Post
                          Has anyone flew this on 4s? Looking for some 64mm EDF as I can fly them around the house.
                          See post #142,

Comment

• My F105 Thunderchief will not do anything once I bind it. No throttle, not servo movements. I'm not getting the right beeps after I bind, but I do get a successful bind. Can anyone help me. I'm using a Spectrum DX8 Gen2 transmitter and a Spectrum AS400 receiver. This is my first EDF jet. Not real great at the transmitter programing so step by step guide to solving this problem would be great. I have been trying to figure this out on my own for a week now and i know now I need help.

Comment

• This jet is very difficult to see and fly, for a first EDF. I got a few, this Thunderchief its 100% focus or else it will be invisible very quick. CG got to be perfect

I would standby and get a F15 or the Stinger.

Comment

• Voyager:
                                Thanks for this info. Sounds like sound advise. I will explore the two alternatives you suggested, but I would still like to get the jet at least to function correctly even if I don't fly it right now. Any thoughts on why the jet won't respond to any control input even though I know the binding process was successful"

Comment

• Are you removing the bind plug after you bind?

Comment

• I dont know about others who have flown it, this edf its slightly under powered. Gets all squirrely on loops, rolls are super snappy (give it a lot of expo), and adjust the wing controls for low authority. At mid range speed does the usual "wiggle" dance that am used to, I even do it on purpose. The jet feels as if its always hanging from a fine thread. I have had a few "where is it" moments which I have been able to recover from, no other edf does this of been difficult to see, but who knows, maybe its just me.

I wish you good luck on the binding issue

Comment

• Hi everyone, I just ordered this amazing looking little edf.. am planning on dropping a Spektrum AR636A rx in it and using Safe mode to hand launch it ... does anybody have the programming numbers for the elevon setup for me to program my rx that has flown it this way successfully ?? Thanks in advance if anyone has already done this would love the “cliff notes “ on this rx setup

Comment

• Very late in this game. Just purchased 2 of the 6 FW f 105's Motion RC had in inventory. Looks like shes had a good 2 year+ run, How many were sold, no telling.
                                        Im a low end foamie , Duck tape kinda pilot, , keep em flying,, old guy, and My wife has the credit cards, soooooolol,,,,i make do.
                                        I served in Air Force with f 4 phantoms, in phllipines.
                                        The THUD is a awsome underated RC modeled plane. MAy be last we will see of foamies 64mm,,,, for $109.00.
                                        Hopefully a 70-90mm will come one day, at any rate, will be posting my life with my 2 105s thuds,
                                        tks Prattville Alabama, Captain John

Comment

• I just bought one of these used from a club member. Have one other FW 64mm the Lippisch P.18 which is a rocket ship ;) I guess this is going to be similar as the P.18 also requires a hard toss to get going. But dissimilar in that the P.18 is not underpowered. Sooo, reading this forum and review, potentially a handful, I’ll stick with stock fan and 3s 1800. Tailerons only sounds like a good idea, not sure I like the aerodynamic implication of the FW control combination of elevator and aileron. It sure looks good! On the P.18 I have a launch preset switch with up elevator, I wonder if something like that would be good for this jet? It has the gear on it but I don’t want to fly it with that. As for opening up the cheater holes I imagine that helps with thrust initially but once on step and flying the drag offset might negate any speed benefit, don’t know. I really want to just fly it stock, KISS principle. But if there’s a consensus on how to make it more fun I’m all ears!

Comment

Working...
                                          X