Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's that Pretty Wide lip back there on those 3DP Nozzles at about 3/16", however, they marry up to the Foam back there at the Nozzle Exit (about 1/8"), which happens to be just about as wide, Soooooooo, you're gonna end up with about 3/8" of material at the Aft Nozzle Lip unless you do as I have done, and trimmed the back end off the Foam Nozzles 3/4" or so, Trim off that Lip on the 3DP Nozzles down to a nice 0.8mm and you get a very Sharp Nozzle Rim at the exit instead of a 3/8"(10mm) Nozzle Rim !! I like a very Sharp Lip at the Nozzles Exit myself. Cheers. GL

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobaroo View Post
      There's that Pretty Wide lip back there on those 3DP Nozzles at about 3/16", however, they marry up to the Foam back there at the Nozzle Exit (about 1/8"), which happens to be just about as wide, Soooooooo, you're gonna end up with about 3/8" of material at the Aft Nozzle Lip unless you do as I have done, and trimmed the back end off the Foam Nozzles 3/4" or so, Trim off that Lip on the 3DP Nozzles down to a nice 0.8mm and you get a very Sharp Nozzle Rim at the exit instead of a 3/8"(10mm) Nozzle Rim !! I like a very Sharp Lip at the Nozzles Exit myself. Cheers. GL
      BBR, Did you not rotate the foam nozzle parts to eliminate an up/down thrust line? Also, is there an advantage to 'sharpening' the foam nozzle portion, i.e., less turbulence or something to that effect? Seems you posted your work here. Best, LB
      I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post

Hello david101 and welcome to HobbySquawk! Not quite sure I understand your question. How about a little more information? I am not familiar with printed tail feathers for the Phantom.
        Ahh.... sorry you are talking about the "turkey" feathers or exhaust nozzles. My bad. :Loser: I didn't bother trimming. I did not want to mess with the efflux established by the foam outlet size at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

BBR, Did you not rotate the foam nozzle parts to eliminate an up/down thrust line? Also, is there an advantage to 'sharpening' the foam nozzle portion, i.e., less turbulence or something to that effect? Seems you posted your work here. Best, LB

Yes,... I put a Drop on the No.1 F-4D Nozzles and used a Plastic Drinking Cup for the Nozzles. Extended them to the Later E-Model Length.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190424_141432.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.7 KB ID:	191598

No.2 F-4E (Early) has the FW 3DP Nozzles shown here before the Drop and Chop !!! This Extraordinarily Wide Exit Lip was unacceptable to me. This is what you get when you just stick them onto the Foam after removing the stock plastic cones. Most guys just leave it like this.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190424_141433.jpg Views:	0 Size:	84.1 KB ID:	191599

The No.3 F-4F will be getting the RCGeek LongNose F-4E/F 3DP Nozzles. They are 'Longer' and have a very nice Exit Lip on them and are already at a nice Thickness. No need for Chopping back the Foam as they are already extended past the Inner Nozzle Boundary. Depending on which Aircraft you are modeling, there is a nice set of Nozzles to be added for someone who desires a more realistic F-4C/D/E/F look on their Foamie !! Cheers

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190424_141548.jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.4 KB ID:	191600

Click image for larger version  Name:	-8 vs -10 Annotated Pictures.jpg Views:	1 Size:	135.7 KB ID:	191601

Comment

Yes,... I put a Drop on the No.1 F-4D Nozzles and used a Plastic Drinking Cup for the Nozzles. Extended them to the Later E-Model Length.

No.2 F-4E (Early) has the FW 3DP Nozzles shown here before the Drop and Chop !!! This Extraordinarily Wide Exit Lip was unacceptable to me. This is what you get when you just stick them onto the Foam after removing the stock plastic cones. Most guys just leave it like this

The No.3 F-4F will be getting the RCGeek LongNose F-4E/F 3DP Nozzles. They are 'Longer' and have a very nice Exit Lip on them and are already at a nice Thickness. No need for Chopping back the Foam as they are already extended past the Inner Nozzle Boundary. Depending on which Aircraft you are modeling, there is a nice set of Nozzles to be added for someone who desires a more realistic F-4C/D/E/F look on their Foamie !! Cheers

BBR, So part of the issue was the bluntness of the foam OEM nozzle ends with the OEM 3DP nozzles versus a more 'hidden' look with the Geek's longer nozzles? Aesthetics and function? Best, LB
            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Purely 'Aesthetics' is driving this Train over here Boss !!! The heck with Weight and Drag and everything else that's going to Slow this one Down in flight. I fly 'DirtyJets'... everyone knows that !!! I like them to look 'Exceptionally Good' while they're up there for their 3mins getting passed by Avanti's, Futura's, Habu's and Viper's !!! Some things that get done from the factory, for whatever reason, on these Jets make me cringe !!! Hahahahaha

^Note: I had added a little 4" Mylar ThrustTube Extension on the -8's bringing the Inner Ducting out to within about 1/4" of the Nozzle Rim. It made the sound less Whooshy and the 'DuallyBurner' was playing off it too, It had no discernible impact on performance or 'Efflux',... so I removed that.

Comment

Purely 'Aesthetics' is driving this Train over here Boss !!! The heck with Weight and Drag and everything else that's going to Slow this one Down in flight. I fly 'DirtyJets'... everyone knows that !!! I like them to look 'Exceptionally Good' while they're up there for their 3mins getting passed by Avanti's, Futura's, Habu's and Viper's !!! Some things that get done from the factory, for whatever reason, on these Jets make me cringe !!! Hahahahaha Note: I had added a little 4" Mylar ThrustTube Extension on the -8's bringing the Inner Ducting out to within about 1/4" of the Nozzle Rim. It made the sound less Whooshy and the 'DuallyBurner' was playing off it too, It had no discernible impact on performance or 'Efflux',... so I removed that.
                BBR, I like the way you think, Brother. ;) Best, LB
                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Hey All, Question, as a rule, do the actual weapons have the 'Male' OEM mounting lugs and the pylons the 'female' fitting for the Freewing Jets? I have 3DP designed the outer wing pylons for the Freewing F-4 to carry weapons instead of the wing tanks and will need to add the correct mount to the bottom. My thought is should I just put in a blank space to fit either? Best, LB

Click image for larger version

Name:	F-4 Outer Wing Pylons.JPG
Views:	899
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	192145
                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• the pylons always have the female T-slot. Here are the dimensions I have used that allow me to fit the female mounts.

Comment

• :)Thank you, DD, that's what I needed. Best, LB
                      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Enjoyed flying the F-4 all winter and this spring. Now was the time for a paint job. Going for the Imperial Iranian Air Force scheme. I really like the desert scheme and it really stands out in the clear or cloudy days. Here is a preview, will be ordering decals from Callie Graphics. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00019.JPG
Views:	872
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	192429Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00020.JPG
Views:	837
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	192430Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00021.JPG
Views:	819
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	192431Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00018.JPG
Views:	831
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	192432Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00022.JPG
Views:	1301
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	192433

Comment

• Lookin good Mofo!

Comment

• :)Waiting for the fog to burn off this morning, got a few photos of the Phantom out on the runway. Can't say enough about how sweet flying this airplane is.

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1254
Size:	336.4 KB
ID:	192732Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1223
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	192731

Comment

• EA6, Was your FLIR not working? LOL Lookin' good, Sir. Best, LB
                              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Does anyone have the E-flite and the Freewing F-4? Not looking to start a war, just want a honest comparison.

Short story, had and I have had issues(land gearing not deploys, RX, ESC, motor bearing) with our F4's from E-Flite. Looking else where, however the flight time of 6 min at 50-60% throttle was really nice.

Can you get 4-5 minutes out of FW F4? I'm more of a scale flyer so 50-60% throttle is where I stand, in the turns I'll go up in throttle when really want to bank it. Motor swap that make the jet fly more efficient?
                                Planes
                                -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
                                -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Comment

• Looks good EA-6B!

Comment

• Thanks APmech! I'm hoping to attend the Jet Jam in June, so I gotta get out there and practice. Anyone else going?

Comment

• Hey Y'all, She's on her own feet for the first time. Some soft weathering on the upper fuselage, light touch up, airbrushing the tailhook, and a matte finish coat yet to do. Ordinance is a work in progress. :Whew:Best, LB

Name:	IMG_0163.JPG
Views:	2273
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	192907Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0164.JPG
Views:	2007
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	192908Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0178.JPG
Views:	2053
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	192909Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0186.JPG
Views:	2082
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	192910Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0168.JPG
Views:	1995
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	192911Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0180.JPG
Views:	2094
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	192912Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0181.JPG
Views:	2031
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	192913Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0183.JPG
Views:	2001
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	192914
                                      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Awesomeness!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats Bro! :Cool::Cool::Cool::Cool::Cool::Cool::Cool::Drinks: :Drinks::Drinks::Party:

Comment

• That's sharp LB! :Cool:

Comment

Working...
                                          X