Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like most, I've had trouble with cg (tail heavy) on my PT-17. Biggest battery I can fit on the slide-in tray is a 3s 2600 30c 210g as far forward as possible. Added an ounce of sick-on lead weights on the interior foam shelves bordering the opening to the motor mount and manually adjusted clevis for some down elevator which helped, but not enough. Next step is weight in the cylinder cavities of the dummy radial, take out sliding tray and velcro in a 3s 3300 30 c 256g or 3s 3700 40c 282g battery etc although I dislike adding more weight. However I noticed in the parts listing for this plane on Horizon a Prop Adapter Hex 32mm (EFL8204) which appears to be heavier than stock set up since it has a metal spacer with screws as opposed to the stock plastic. Anybody familiar with this? If so, how much heavier is it and is it drop-in with stock shaft and prop or if not, what has to be done to install? If its only 15g heavier that might be enough since its so far forward.

Comment

Go to Wal-Mart or somewhere you can get B-B`s. Start with one cylinder adding B-B's until your CG is good. It will take some time and don't try to short cut it. After you fill a cylinder slip it back on a the the prop adapter and prop. You can use whatever glue you want just test what ever you are using on the plastic.

Comment

Originally posted by Saltydawg View Post
        Go to Wal-Mart or somewhere you can get B-B`s. Start with one cylinder adding B-B's until your CG is good. It will take some time and don't try to short cut it. After you fill a cylinder slip it back on a the the prop adapter and prop. You can use whatever glue you want just test what ever you are using on the plastic.
        Steel shot from Sporting goods store - mix with epoxy or fill fingertips cut from latex gloves and tie. Fill Ziplock bags with remainder to use like weighted bean bags for holding wings or fuselage when working on them instead of clamps.
        see post #1 and #33.

Comment

There is also a suggestion to add a platform to the battery tray to raise the battery so your battery can slide further forward into the nose. On mine that is sufficient with a little down trim to fly perfectly.

Comment

I put in a platform to move battery forward PLUS added two ozs. of weight to the dummy cylinders and it is still too tail heavy. Crashed it and just lucky it didn't bust up more than it did. Next time out will have club instructor check it out and perform the first post-repair flight.

Comment

Ouch, sorry to hear that. Don’t misinterpret not enough down elevator for tail heavy condition. I needed about 10 turns of down elevator adjustments to get it leveled in flight, but on the balance stand - it was just a shade nose heavy. Don’t just use your fingers - put it on a stand.

Comment

Ive read the cg in the manual is complete off. GG is supposed to be measured 86mm (3.38”) from leading edge of UPPER wing. What exactly is everyone using as their cg then? I bought this plane second hand, haven’t flown it yet, but according to the manual my cg is perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by FreightShaker69 View Post
                  Ive read the cg in the manual is complete off. GG is supposed to be measured 86mm (3.38”) from leading edge of UPPER wing. What exactly is everyone using as their cg then? I bought this plane second hand, haven’t flown it yet, but according to the manual my cg is perfect.
                  The manual is not incorrect. You may need some adjustment on the elevator to provide enough control to get the nose down. 4S battery is better, and you should go for the forward limit of the CG. (I think it said 83 to 86mm) I checked mine both inverted first then upright. It required 2.5 oz in order to balance on the stand and tip forward slightly.

Comment

Working...
                  X