Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PT-17 from eFlite

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PT-17 from eFlite

Got this when they recently marked them down for a short while and glad I did. Such a sweet flyer, and while it is true it was necessary to add 1.6 oz. in the dummy cylinders with the 2200 battery, That said I'll bet a 2600mah may require removing that weight. Balancing on your finger tips may be ok for a quick check at the field, a maiden flight should be set up on a stand and within the range with just a touch nose down. Be as precise as possible, turn off ceiling fans and A/c . And don't, don't don't even think about flying a tail heavy airplane.
    The 6000 lb. airplanes I fly regularly have a CG that only moves about 12 inches within the widest parts of the envelope. Model planes this size have a scale range +/- 1/4 inch, which is approx the diameter of the pencil erasers I balanced on - now I use aluminum tubes with round plastic caps fitted into a base that clamps to my work bench and has adjustable width. Go for the center of the range and then add a few grams more to just get the nose to tip down a bit. I recommend steel bird shot sometimes mixed with epoxy, but usually just snip a finger off of a latex glove and fill it with shot - easy to get 1.5 oz. in each one and they can be wrapped with electrical tape to prevent rupture and secured in the model.
    Now my favorite flyer, I just want folks that might consider buying one, not to be dissuaded by the negative reviews she's very docile a quite stable if you follow the directions which are spot on if you read them carefully, don't try assemble it with force, and expect to make some fine adjustments after the first flight - they will be small, but have big effects.
    FYI, I got the BNF version, but a club member bought the PNP and put the Eagle gyro in place of the Spektrum equipment- flies beautifully and in fact it's his fault I decided I had to have one. Glad I waited a bit as they marked them down for a few weeks.
    In fact, I think I will plan on taking it to work to fly afterwards on the way home.

If you take out the battery tray you can move the battery all the way forward and get the correct CG without adding weight.
    TiredIron Aviation
    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post
      If you take out the battery tray you can move the battery all the way forward and get the correct CG without adding weight.
      I kept the battery tray, but was able to secure it forward of the tray end and it touches the motor mount - still needed weight.

Comment

I recently reviewed this plane for RCG and came to the same conclusions that you did re: CG. I included some photos of how I added birdshot to the bottom 2 cylinders of the dummy engine. I love the way it flies and am really enjoying it. It is such a good looking model that I am going ahead and doing some additional detailing (as you did) to the motor. Next I am going to install flying wires as well. Maybe the added drag will aid in slowing it down even more for a scale flying speed.

Mike

Comment

Thought about adding wires myself, so I will see how ya go about it. I would probably reserve that for a scratch build.
          One of our club mmembers remarked to me how I fly it so scale like - but I use about 1/2 throttle a lot, and rare that anyone compliments my flying skills being the new guy at the field.
          it is definitely one of the more popular planes at the field and saw another brand new one this week - enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by Hiflyer View Post
            I recently reviewed this plane for RCG and came to the same conclusions that you did re: CG. I included some photos of how I added birdshot to the bottom 2 cylinders of the dummy engine. I love the way it flies and am really enjoying it. It is such a good looking model that I am going ahead and doing some additional detailing (as you did) to the motor. Next I am going to install flying wires as well. Maybe the added drag will aid in slowing it down even more for a scale flying speed.

Mike
            I removed the battery tray and she seems to balance out. I also added the rigging. I don't disassemble my bipes as it is just too dang much trouble. They take up a lot of room in my den but so be it. I also placed the RX out of my Apprentice S 15E in it. I have several bipes but have not had the chance to fly any of them as yet . I have a great flying field but it is far too rough for a tail dragger other than the Timber and the Commander mPD with larger wheels. As you can see, I am quickly running out of room in my hanger. I also included a pic of the battery without the little tray that seemed to be more trouble than anything else. I added a 3" piece of balsa on the cockpit cover to hold it in place. I know it's not much but it seems to work. Peace.
            Attached Files

Comment

Welcome to Hobby Squawk!!! Nice collection!!! :Cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Hardway View Post
                Welcome to Hobby Squawk!!! Nice collection!!! :Cool:
                Thank you!!

Comment

Welcome to Hobby Squawk BB, glad you could bring your experiences to us.
                  Oh, nice collection you have there ...:Cool:
                  Straighten Up - Fly Right

Comment

Why thank you ever so much!!

Comment

Back in the 80's I had a job arranging fly in appearances by the Red Baron Squadron. We would assign either 2 or 4 airplanes for the appearance, depending on the population of the town or city. It was a great advertising promotion as it almost always gave us front page newspaper exposure where ever we went. I flew one of the airplanes briefly on my one and only flight. I had more opportunities but I would always give my ride to someone who had never experienced it before. One day I hope to modify one with the Red Baron paint scheme. I did make a few changes to mine. The leather trim around the cockpit, I painted brown. I added the rigging and made a few small paint additions. Those pilots were a special breed of cat (one rolled his own smokes). We went out for dinner and drinks one night and it turned out to be a pretty wild night. Once one of the aircraft experienced a small oil leak and we had to follow the squadron around with a 5 gal. can of oil to finish the weeks schedule. Thanks for letting me reminisce.

Comment

That's very cool sir, and I hope to see the one you modify here, that would be awesome!

Comment

Between the high winds and house hunting, there hasn't been much time for flying. So last night I finished up Woodstock II. Just a few coats of polycrylic and some light painting. Makes for some nice yard art... and a photo op for today! :bluehappy
                          Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

It was almost amusing to read a review of this plane on one site, where the reviewer claimed to have been an RC flyer for over 25 years, and then admits to knowingly flying this model tail-heavy, such that it crashed catastrophically. His review was scathing in its criticism of this model, but I just kept going back to the fact that he KNEW it was tail-heavy before he flew it, and even as inexperienced as I am, *I* know better than to try and fly a tail-heavy model.

This was on my short-list of candidates for my next plane, along with the RocHobby Waco and Staggerwing, and the Dynam Waco. It is a great looking plane.

Comment

It took a few ounces up front to get balanced out right... and that was with the 2200 as far forward as I could get. Personally, I love how well it flies.
                              Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

Reviews of the old Electrifly appx 30 inch span WWI models all said they were great and just dropping in the equipment that was recommended would result in perfect airplanes. I bought the whole set and the average needed 3 ounces in the nose to get the CG to a location appropriate for flight. Only the Fokker D-VII was flyable with less than 2 oz of lead in the nose.

I still have all except the DR1.

Never trust a magazine review. They are almost all paid advertisements.
                                FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomi View Post
                                  It was almost amusing to read a review of this plane on one site, where the reviewer claimed to have been an RC flyer for over 25 years, and then admits to knowingly flying this model tail-heavy, such that it crashed catastrophically. His review was scathing in its criticism of this model, but I just kept going back to the fact that he KNEW it was tail-heavy before he flew it, and even as inexperienced as I am, *I* know better than to try and fly a tail-heavy model.

This was on my short-list of candidates for my next plane, along with the RocHobby Waco and Staggerwing, and the Dynam Waco. It is a great looking plane.
                                  When I encounter these folks, I cannot help but think of this:

amazing how many experts have learned nothing...and then I have to drive home with them in traffic.

Comment

Originally posted by F22trainer View Post

When I encounter these folks, I cannot help but think of this:

amazing how many experts have learned nothing...and then I have to drive home with them in traffic.
                                    I think we had that one on our Demotivator Calendar one year. We have several years' worth stashed at work, and regularly put the images up just for laughs in our work lab.

Our all-time favorite, though, is, "Customer Disservice: Because we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied."

Comment

So, I was having issues getting the rudder throws to maximum suggested input (28mmH / 22mmL). I was maxing out on the high rate at 15mm! So last night I decided to cut the rudder off and insert the Dubro nylon hinges. While doing so, I just had to paint my tail red... was hard to match the red perfectly, but close enough for me. With the hinges, I was able to give the rudder a little bit more spacing and achieved my (manufacturer) specified throws. Once the winds calm enough for me, I'll get a flight test in and see how much difference it actually makes.
                                      Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

Are you flying with SAFE mode? Low rates?
                                        With High Rates and SAFE off, I get max throw, but when I took off with SAFE, I sometimes did not have enough rudder.

Comment

Working...
                                        X