X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rochobby 64mm F-16

This plane is a blast to fly. Love it. My only gripe, and a major one is its gear.

I made some improvements to it by epoxying the wing gear mounts (both have come off after several flights), Loctite'ing the screws that hold the front nose gear into the metal mount, and rubber banding the rear gear so as to minimize movement.

Taxiing and take offs have increased but I wanted to ask here if there were any other modes I could make to keep this jet straight. Belly landing is not a viable option for me on most days.

Re: Rochobby 64mm F-16

Are you taking off from a grass strip? A friend flies one off our tarmac runway without any problems, but if he ever needed reinforcing around the gear, I would recommend epoxying the gear mounts, increasing the wheel size (Dubro ligthweight foam wheels are great for grass), and possibly raising the angle of attack on the nose gear.

The airplane can fly very slow while still maintaining stability (especially without all its ordinance), and a great way to minimize airframe forces upon landing is to decrease the touchdown speed ;)

Comment

Well, I had the same problem! I love the way it flew but take offs and landings where very hard cause the main landing gear was SO weak!! I ended up making a new main landing gear with thicker wire. It was a little hard since you are going to have to force it into the mount and then epoxy it to the plane! Once I did that, its perfect now!! It flies and lands perfect. Oh by the way, I've only flown it on paved runways, so IDK how it behaves on grass.
      I love this airplane and Motion RC

Comment

I happen to have 3 extra foamie wheels off of a t-28 that I sold quite a while back. Just got the f-16 today and have not had time to put it together other than binding the receiver to it. Its late and I might be either tired or deaf, seems like that motor has a ton of vibration revved up. I will check it again when I have some sleep. Also have a minor bit of damage at the front of the intake. Ill take a pic and send it in to the guys at motion. I may not put anything together until i hear the edf run. Its my first edf and I have zero experience about the quirks of these, but i don't think the whole jet should vibrate at 1/2 throttle. Ill check the fan to see if its tight in the morning. Also will fwd the pics of the intake damage to the guys at motion. I'm sure alpha will take great care of me, oh and alpha if you read this the critical mass motor is rock solid after the gorilla glue fix. Awesome job on the tips for the repair

Comment

Re: Rochobby 64mm F-16 (EPS versus EPO Foam)

Is there anybody who can give me an honest opinion on the looks of the F-16 in comparing the old EPS version and the newer EPO version. I really like the way the smooth EPS looks and may try to find one online. However, I would rather go with the newer upgraded version…..as long as it looks good.

Richard

Comment

Re: Rochobby 64mm F-16 (EPS versus EPO Foam)

I really like the look of the RocHobby F-16 64mm. The panel lines are great and the paint is really nice. It's a flat paint so it's not shiny. It looks pretty close to the real thing. Also, the flight characteristics of the RocHobby version is really nice. It's very stable and floaty without any of the ordinance on (I only have the wingtip missiles on to give it slightly more area for lift. The only issue is the nose wheel. Bend it straight, otherwise it will be hard to steer and will easily strip the steering servo. Other than that one minor issue, it's a great plane to fly. It even looks good as a static model for when you aren't flying it....

Comment

RE: Rochobby 64mm F-16

Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me if I can use a 4s battery on this plane without changing anything? I heard it would be safe if I change the ESC to an 80 amp one. I love this plane and it flys really well, now that I have gotten better at flying it it would be fun to have more vertical climb ability.

I also thought of putting the motor/fan/esc set up from the Hi-Speed Freewing F-22 Raptor??? If there isn't a setup I can use then I will keep it stock and just start getting into the 70mm planes and see how those go.

Thank you for your help,

Nick

Comment

Love F-16 planes with retracts. Awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick1956
                  Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me if I can use a 4s battery on this plane without changing anything? I heard it would be safe if I change the ESC to an 80 amp one. I love this plane and it flys really well, now that I have gotten better at flying it it would be fun to have more vertical climb ability.

I also thought of putting the motor/fan/esc set up from the Hi-Speed Freewing F-22 Raptor??? If there isn't a setup I can use then I will keep it stock and just start getting into the 70mm planes and see how those go.

Thank you for your help,

Nick

Comment

Cowboy, I have this plane and there are a couple of things to do that make it really easy to handle. The front steering wire needs to be bent backward so it sits straight up and down. Put some Locktight on the grub screw connecting it to the connector. Put your steering rate at 40% travel and problem fixed.... and like Alpha said re glue the rear mounts.

This plane has a cheater hole on the bottom right before the EDF unit, I fly off of a dirt runway so to keep anything from killing my blades I epoxied in some nylon screen ( like what you filter paint with ) on the bottom half of the thrust tube and it works great. No noticeable air restriction.

Now I also put in a 4S motor running off of the stock 50 amp ESC and now the plane kicks..... All you have to do is carve the pilot out of the canopy and cut a lot of foam to fit the 4S-2200mah in there. I tinted the canopy so no big deal that the pilot is gone, the plane is sooooooo much faster and flies perfectly. The motor will fit right where the stock one did and with the 4S battery all the way up front in the new carved canopy area your CG stays the same, just remember to ALWAYS check it every flight. While you are at it check everything, all connections etc. don't be afraid to give the connections a tug because if you can pull them loose on the ground the force of the air will do it much easier in flight and that means its crash time...

This plane set up on 50% Ailerons travel, 80% Elevator travel with 35% expo on both is a blast to fly. It goes where you point it and can spin like a dart. Keep your speed up in your turns so you won't tip stall and when you land keep 1/3 throttle until you touch wheels, don't dead stick it. It floats really well and you will be a pro in no time.

Lastly I have a hard time seeing some of the Military schemes even though this plane is really something to see, I painted mine out in a black and yellow/orange scheme. It gets to 80+ mph now so seeing it in my colors really helps.

Nick

Comment

Thanks for those details, Nick, the nylon screen does help prevent ingesting nasty FOD, which always seems to bite me on the first flight of a long weekend.
                      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Here are a couple of pictures of the paint job I did on my F-16 so I could see it better...Our field is overcast in the mornings being by the beach so there colors really help.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X