X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Durafly Komet Me-163

Well, I couldn't stand it. HK offered the Me-163 as a new Durafly release, with the option to use a small solid rocket as additional propulsion. Not sure I will use that part, but the actual model looks great. One of my favorite WWII planes from the Axis side, and one that you don't see often. Wingspan is 970mm, and has a scale looking dolly that can be dropped right after take off. For 160.00 I thought it was a pretty good deal. It is on the way, and I will be letting you all know about the build and maiden as soon as I get it here! Even my wife liked it, and told me I need to order it!! Heck, does it get any better than that?? :D  

RE: Durafly Komet Me-163

Originally posted by Loneflier
    Well, I couldn't stand it. HK offered the Me-163 as a new Durafly release, with the option to use a small solid rocket as additional propulsion. Not sure I will use that part, but the actual model looks great. One of my favorite WWII planes from the Axis side, and one that you don't see often. Wingspan is 970mm, and has a scale looking dolly that can be dropped right after take off. For 160.00 I thought it was a pretty good deal. It is on the way, and I will be letting you all know about the build and maiden as soon as I get it here! Even my wife liked it, and told me I need to order it!! Heck, does it get any better than that?? :D  
    Well, I'm still resisting..........so far :rolleyes: . It is something out of the ordinary, which I love, and it seems they've put a lot of thought and engineering into it. We all like to show up at the field with something people want to see fly and the rocket is sure to please and surprise unwary onlookers :D . Have fun with it and let us know how it flies.

Steve
    AMA 95495
    Freewing P-51D Iron Ass
    Freewing F-86 80MM

Comment

Thanks Steve,

I'll keep everyone posted on the build and maiden flight once it gets here. I really like flying wings, they generally are, pretty stable and fun to fly. I hope this one will be as much fun as my others.

Comment

Greetings Loneflier,

I can't wait until you receive this baby!

Did you order the optional switch mechanism for igniting the rocket motor (blackpowder)?
        I will be very interested in learning how they do it remotely.
        If you didn't go for that option I think they will still cover it in the instructions.

This should be really interesting with a C6-0 rocket motor!
        Normal burn time for this motor is 1.6 sec. with a total Impulse of 10.0 Newton Sec.!
        That's a maximum thrust of 3.4 lbs. or 15.3 Newtons! And those specs are for going vertical !
        I can't wait to see what will occur with the reduced drag of horizontal flight!!

The installed weight of a C6-0 motor is an additional 12.48 grams loaded which will effect the CG but as the fuel burns the tail will surely get progressively lighter!?!
        Interesting.

This is going to be exciting!! Can't wait to hear!!!

Clear Skies,

Bill L.
        in Okla.

Comment

Thanks Bill,

I also am very anxious to see this little jewel. I have several wings, and enjoy flying them, but this will be my first scale warbird wing!

I did not opt for the solid rocket propulsion,....wait for it......YET! :cool: I want to fly it a few times with just the regular motor and get a feel for her before I try to go ballistic with it! They do cover the solid option in the manual, and I read it with their on-line manual.

It should be here by early next week, so I will be happy to give you a run down of the initial impressions of the kit.

Take care, and Happy Flying!

Rich

Comment

Well, I got home today, and found that the brown truck had beat me home and left a gift! HK has stepped up their game, and got this in only 4 days.. Of course, I am ordering from the Arkansas warehouse, so the distance is much closer than the West warehouse, at least for me. Nicely boxed, well protected by foam cut-outs, and no damage at all.

The Me-163 Komet comes in a large box since the wings are already attached. The build for this one looks like it might take a whole 15 minutes! Basically, all you have to do is bolt on the tail/rudder, hook up the receiver, and add a battery. Extremely simple. It will probably take more time programming the radio than the actual assembly will take. The paint and detailing looks really good as well. I have a couple of builds ahead of this one, not to mention some maiden flights of other planes I need to do, but I am really anxious to get started on this Komet. It will certainly be the only one at my flying field! :D

I will update this post once I build the plane and fly it for the first time.

Comment

Was just watching a vid on it.... Looks like a handful on the roll axis. Should be fun!
              Lauren

Comment

Greetings Loneflier,

Agreed, HK, has become a player!!!

When ordering from there US warehouses deliveries have been consistently days away after ordering.
                Even a package I recently ordered from China arrived well ahead of expectations.

I really believe they read our MRC posts and have learned what is most important to buyers... support and service.
                I real game changer for HK.

Bill L.
                in Okla.

Comment

Originally posted by Flygirl
                  Was just watching a vid on it.... Looks like a handful on the roll axis. Should be fun!
                  Thanks Flygirl,

I am looking forward to getting this one in the air, of course, I always look forward to flying any of the new planes, but the Komet is so unique, I just had to give it a try.

Comment

Greetings Gang,

I'm sure you are already aware of this but, HK has released a new video covering the New Durafly ME-163.

If ANYONE is considering acquiring this plane WITH the optional rocket launching capability, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE watch their video on the required installation and initialization procedures for the rocket motor option!!

THERE ARE SOME DEFINATE SAFETY ISSUES ASSOCIATED WITH THIS OPTION RELATED TO THE POSSIBILITY OF PRE-MATURE INGNITION OF THE BLACKPOWDER MOTOR!!!

Personally, having been president of our local model rocket club for many years, I'm astonished they have released this option without directly addressing this issue first!!!

Here is the VERY important link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJZFAfSgJX0 

While the correct procedure is outlined in the video, it still leaves a high opportunity/risk for forgetful accidents. IMHO

Safety First

Bill L.
                    in Okla.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketeer
                      Greetings Gang,

I'm sure you are already aware of this but, HK has released a new video covering the New Durafly ME-163.

If ANYONE is considering acquiring this plane WITH the optional rocket launching capability, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE watch their video on the required installation and initialization procedures for the rocket motor option!!

THERE ARE SOME DEFINATE SAFETY ISSUES ASSOCIATED WITH THIS OPTION RELATED TO THE POSSIBILITY OF PRE-MATURE INGNITION OF THE BLACKPOWDER MOTOR!!!

Personally, having been president of our local model rocket club for many years, I'm astonished they have released this option without directly addressing this issue first!!!

Here is the VERY important link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJZFAfSgJX0 

While the correct procedure is outlined in the video, it still leaves a high opportunity/risk for forgetful accidents. IMHO

Safety First

Bill L.
                      in Okla.
                      Agree completely with ya Bill.  At the very least I would add another (mechanical) switch in series as a fail safe somewhere on the exterior so that it could be armed just before take off.  I doubt a US based company would even think of this arrangement considering the liability issues raised. With all the bad press about "Drones" and such we sure don't want any more, or more importantly see anyone injured. Also, if you fly at an AMA sanctioned field this is probably a safety violation (have to check on that though).

EDIT: Not an AMA violation:
                      (i) Not operate model aircraft carrying pyrotechnic devices that explode or burn, or any device which propels a projectile or d
                      rops any object that creates a hazard to persons or property.
                      Exceptions:
                      Free Flight fuses or devices that burn producing smoke and are securely attached to the model aircraft during flight.
                      Rocket motors (using solid propellant) up to a G-series size may be used provided they remain attached to the model during flight.
                      Model rockets may
                      be flown in accordance with the National Model Rocketry Safety Code but may not be launched from model aircraft.
                      Officially designated AMA Air Show Teams (AST) are authorized to
                      use devices and practices as defined within the Team AMA Progr
                      am Document.
                      (AMA Document #718.)

Steve
                      AMA 95495
                      Freewing P-51D Iron Ass
                      Freewing F-86 80MM

Comment

Greetings Steve,

I am confident that HK is going to sell a lot of Me-163's on the novelty factor of the rocket motor alone.

While the hope is that folks will do their due diligence, many are not going to bother to reading the instructions or watch the video.

They're going to load up their motors just to "see what this baby will do!!" and most unfortunately - for them and our hobby - many of these motors our going to get fired off unexpectedly creating bad and dangerous experiences and that's usually followed by bad press for the RC community.

I am not a 'Sky Is Falling' kind of guy, but after watching that video, I have a bad feeling about this one.

We shall see........

Clear Skies

Bill L.
                        in OKla.

Comment

Thanks for the updates guys. After viewing the video and thinking of the potential complications, I believe I will fly mine with just the battery and motor provided. Should still be a very fun plane, and unique as well. Still glad I bought it, and hope to bring you a flight report soon.

Comment

Greetings Loneflier,

Agreed, with the provided power system this should still be a fun flyer.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Bill L.L.
                            in OKla.

Comment

I picked up a 163 Komet from H K this past December. On her maiden flight, I discovered that 1 of the wing servos was slower in response to the other and she rolled over and into the ground when I pulled up elevator on take off. No serious damage and I have since corrected the problem with new servos.
                              I'm having issues with finding the proper CG and setting up the balance for the little guy. I do plan to use the rocket motor just for S&Gs but this does throw some wrinkles into the balancing act so to speak, and with the battery (a 3S 2200 mah pack) as far forward as I can get it, using the recommended CG location specified in the manual:

} with no dolly attached; the plane balanced with 1.75 oz of lead right in front of the foam firewall

} adding the dolly makes the plane balance with 1.25 oz of lead [ + dolly = 1/2 oz reduction of nose weight ]

} removing dolly and adding the rocket motor in the tail makes the plane balance with 2.50 oz of nose weight

So I was wondering as to how did you guys balance your 163 Komet for the best all around solution for the features available???

Comment

I balanced mine with no dolly at the CG suggested by the manual. The take off and first circuit is flown with dolly (a little nose heavy). After it comes back around for the dolly drop, it flies properly. You just have to have a heavy hand on the sticks on that first circuit till you can drop the dolly. I don't fly with the rocket. Having the rocket injects another complication. Balanced with the full rocket and no dolly, as the rocket gets spent, the balance changes.

Comment

Shouldn't the engine be located at the CG? This way the spent engine would only make the plane lighter, not out of balance. Doc

Comment

Originally posted by doctormike View Post
                                    Shouldn't the engine be located at the CG? This way the spent engine would only make the plane lighter, not out of balance. Doc
                                    If you look at the Durafly Komet, you'll see that the rocket mounts in a specially designed tube at the very end of the tail. In theory, the size of rocket that will fit in there only lasts about 10 seconds and the weight of it should be quite light and depleting it shouldn't lighten up the tail end significantly such that a couple of clicks of trim would be all it takes to balance it out again. That's not to say that some people have made a bigger tube in the foam and installed bigger rockets for a longer effect. The rocket itself contributes very little to the actually propulsion of this plane. It's more for sight and sound. The plane is already quite fast. Plus, the inherent dangers (as already mentioned) is simply not worth it. I've read about some owners using tiny smoke canisters instead. You also have to do something to protect the foam from getting melted. In fact, the dolly contributes more to the balance of the plane.
                                    It's been over a year since this thread started and I've had my Komet for about that long. It's a twitchy little bugger. Flies fast stock and is a thrill to see and hear. Getting it off the ground can be a bit daunting and the right technique must be used. It tends to weathervanes badly, can develop an early waddle that can ruin the take off and the dolly has to be "manicured" or it will get hung up and not drop. Landing on its skid is usually fast and can also drop alternating wing tips for a somewhat "ugly" skid to the stop. Over the past year, enough reviews and information has come back on this plane that I don't think it has been a "best seller" for HobbyKing. I believe interest in it has waned considerably. I still have mine but it's not one of my favorites.
                                    BTW, no added weight was needed to balance. The battery has enough room to move to the proper placement. Balance upside down.

Comment

Originally posted by doctormike View Post
                                      I guess ideally that would be true, but in this case the difference in weight is only .44oz (motor initial wt. is .8oz and propellant is .44oz) so not that drastic for this size aircraft. I bought the 163 as a birthday gift for my flyin' buddy and his birthday is tomorrow so I'm sure we will be trying this in the not very distant future:D

Steve
                                      Last edited by rc-eflyer; Jun 14, 2016, 06:40 PM. Reason: math mistake
                                      AMA 95495
                                      Freewing P-51D Iron Ass
                                      Freewing F-86 80MM

Comment

I see your point. I built a rocket plane with the engine on the belly. The thrust from this position made it pitch up very badly. I'm moving the engine to the tail and centered. Doc

Comment

Working...
                                        X