X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the info XViper2,

It looks like I have to revisit my electronics setup for this little guy. When I originally set her up, I was flying an Airtronics RDX 8000 TX and 6 ch RX. Now I've since converted to a Spectrum 18 ch TX, I'm currently in the process of changing out my old Airtronics receivers in all my aircraft to bring them back to flying status as I can afford to do so. I was just initially surprised at how much the balance on this plane would change with the addition and subsequent " in-flight " removal of the rocket motor and dolly.

When I set up my 163 Komet for the rocket motor, I followed the how to video on HobbyKing's web site and also filled the end of the motor with an epoxy plug. After trial and error, I found that you had to put in enough epoxy to make a 3/8" cap in the back of the motor which pretty much filled in the remaining space of the motor casing. I did not weigh the motors after the adding the glue cap but I can imagine that it probably brought the weight of the rocket motor closer to 1.00 oz.

Thanks again guys, I do like the look of this plane and I hope to have a better second try flying her soon.

Comment

OK, maiden flight completed today and it was interesting to say the least. Probably not the best day as the heat index was well above 100 and hardly any wind but who's gonna let a little heat stroke stop ya. We had the field to ourselves as nobody else was dumb enough to out there. The first try at a ROG from the asphalt resulted in a flip over as it veered off just before flying speed and hit the grass. Very minor damage and we took some rudder travel out as it seemed way too sensitive. Second attempt was much better and she flew great and we got it trimmed out and had a good landing in the grass. So now it was time to go all the way and "light the fire". We installed the rocket motor and the following is the result :cool: Warning....some expletives at the end of the vid

Steve

AMA 95495
      Freewing P-51D Iron Ass
      Freewing F-86 80MM

Comment

That was cool Steve!
        Lauren

Comment

Originally posted by Flygirl View Post
          That was cool Steve!
          Thanks Lauren, it was a lot of fun and I'm sure she will be back up and flying soon. Further investigation did reveal a stripped rudder servo but still cam out smelling like roses for the situation. Also I need to get a better camera, my good old (and I mean old) Canon still works but batteries are way too expensive. Oh, and yes the battery WILL be secured much better next time.
          AMA 95495
          Freewing P-51D Iron Ass
          Freewing F-86 80MM

Comment

Here's a short vid of rocket prep.....

AMA 95495
            Freewing P-51D Iron Ass
            Freewing F-86 80MM

Comment

Originally posted by xviper2 View Post

It's been over a year since this thread started and I've had my Komet for about that long. It's a twitchy little bugger. Flies fast stock and is a thrill to see and hear. Getting it off the ground can be a bit daunting and the right technique must be used. It tends to weathervanes badly, can develop an early waddle that can ruin the take off and the dolly has to be "manicured" or it will get hung up and not drop. Landing on its skid is usually fast and can also drop alternating wing tips for a somewhat "ugly" skid to the stop. Over the past year, enough reviews and information has come back on this plane that I don't think it has been a "best seller" for HobbyKing. I believe interest in it has waned considerably. I still have mine but it's not one of my favorites.
              BTW, no added weight was needed to balance. The battery has enough room to move to the proper placement. Balance upside down.
              Good information. I ordered one yesterday; HobbyKing has been a continual PITA for this or that, and I have managed to avoid spending a dime with them ever since I saw the firm. But yesterday, for whatever reason I decided, what the heck? I'm going back into e-flight. I've been flying glow and gas models for 30 years, did about three years until last year in e-flight, and then thought I was going to get back into two and four stroke glow big airplanes. Didn't take me long to go back to e-flights; getting too old for all the liquid fuel active and hassle stuff.

Anyway… I decided to try the ME-163, just for kicks. Indeed, HobbyKing is still a PITA; it took me an hour to get one simple kit ordered. That HK website shows different prices and different shipping… all for the SAME kit. Whatever; pretty sure I won't be messing with that place again.

If I'm lucky enough to actually to receive that kit in good condition, I'll be aware of the condition of the thing by you and have some fun… probably quick, before I trash it, but you never know… :-)

Comment

Oh… I'm a Student Pilot? Interesting… :-)

Comment

Originally posted by SC1 View Post
                  Anyway… I decided to try the ME-163, just for kicks. Indeed, HobbyKing is still a PITA; it took me an hour to get one simple kit ordered. That HK website shows different prices and different shipping… all for the SAME kit. Whatever; pretty sure I won't be messing with that place again.
                  HobbyKing has come a long way since the days of crappy products and even crappier service. I've been dealing with them for many years and had it not been for them, I may never have gotten going in this hobby. One has to admit that they have made it easy and affordable to do this past time. They've even made good on a couple of warranty claims I've made, which is shocking compared to the "old" days.
                  Let me try to explain their pricing difference to you. If you go into their site, you will get one level of pricing. If you "log in" first, you will get a slightly lower price. Then there are discounts codes, which you can find in various places on the "net". There is even a page that gives you all "buddy codes" and other discount codes. Some work, some don't. I've never bothered with them. The "logged in" price is usually good enough and I "take it or leave it". Now comes the point of origin of where you buy it from, ie, which warehouse you get it from. I don't know where you live, but I (Alberta, Canada) deal with the international warehouse (Hong Kong) and sometimes with the US West warehouse (Oregon). Prices in the various US Warehouses (and European and Australian) are generally higher since they have to get the product to those warehouses first so the price reflects their shipping to those locations (cheaper by the pallet than for you and me to ship just one box). Then you have to pay to get it from that warehouse to your house. If you are in the US, shipping is very cheap from a US warehouse and horrible from the Int. warehouse. I can get something from Int. w.h. by mail far cheaper than if I bought it from the US West w.h. since their only option for me is FedEx, which results in brokerage fees. Stuff by mail usually gets past the post office without brokerage. If you are not in Canada or the US, then shipping and item cost is a whole other story.

As a side note (and it's too late for you), the ME 163 is also available from Motion RC and is made by Tech One. I don't know if it has the rocket pod in the tail. I don't believe it has the drop dolly.
                  At Motion RC we carry the largest selection of electric and gas powered radio control (RC) planes, boats, buggies, cars, helicopters, tanks, trucks, and much more. We also offer a huge selection of lipo batteries, chargers, ESCs, gas engines, motors, radios, and servos. Shop our lowest prices with free shipping.

Comment

You can/should change that default label in your profile settings.
                    Just click on the "User Settings" in the drop down box of your user name located at the top right of the page. Modify the very first entry "User Title" and then click the blue "save changes" button at the bottom of the page.
                    Best regards,
                    Warbird Charlie
                    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

It's just a designation of your "new" status on this forum. It has nothing to do with your real world piloting experience on RC. Like OV10, you can change it.

Comment

Comment

I haven't flown my 163 for some time now. As I've said, it's a twitchy little bugger. It's hard to do a smooth, straight take off roll on those silly little dolly wheels. It doesn't make the right noises. It's not a very pleasurable flying experience. I'll be giving it away soon and replacing it with the Freewing 64mm Lippisch P.15. It makes the Durafly pale by comparison.

Comment

I own two Durafly Komet and the main issue is certainly the dolly. I have no smooth runway to takeoff so typically it’s a crash waiting to happen. If I can get it airborne then no sweat.
                            I quit flying mine also...

I do also own a HET Me163 and it must be launched with a bungee. It smokes the MUCH slower Durafly offering.
                            Onboard gps has it at 130mph flat out and faster in dives.
                            I have 144 flights on it and i’d Certainly say you gotta have you’re game on while flying it.
                            It must be landed as a glider and the power comes off about 1000ft out. At 100ft agl.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DB4D39A6-0E1F-497D-A9C6-7A280E5D384D.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	148.8 KB ID:	122418

Comment

I'm late to the game but hoping someone has a Komet for sale or trade.

Thanks,
                              Craig

Comment

This 48 inch wing span modification is game changer for this plane. Decreased wing loading, effective flaps for landing with full control at any speed (no ballooning), yes a small amount of up elevon when flaps deployed is programmed on the switch, short takeoff runs, slow landing speeds, much better visibility, aerobatic like the stock one, longer glides, longer flight times (6 minutes with a 3300 3s battery, and 4 minutes 2300 4s), still fast, a joy to fly, 29 flights so far without a singe mishap. Wing is reinforced with a carbon fiber arrow (cored foam with sharpened brass tube) and leading edge tube joined with a section of solid rod). The wing is attached to fuselage the normal way. Will eventually produce a second one with the spare sitting in the closet as I have a spare set of wings to work with. The skis were used this winter off snow, worked very well, and now flying it with the wider dolly wheel gear. Put on easy lights under the wing tips which makes for better skids.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210317_074704.jpg Views:	0 Size:	122.0 KB ID:	312395

Comment

Working...
                                X