X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RCJetDude's custom 1/10th scale F-117 build

Ok. I am at a point where I can go ahead and start a thread for this project. I have wanted for a long time a good sized F-117 with it's iconic shape and low radar signature facets. Trouble is there just aren't any manufacturers of them left anymore. There was the Aviation Design bird for turbine and some other glimpses of custom builds out there occasionally. Being all black it would be a tough candidate for EPO foam to boot. LX makes both a 64 and 70mm version in EPS but they are EPS. Nuff said. I do have the 64mm and it flies good on a 4S system. It is actually a blast to fly and looks really cool in the air but small and no landing gear. So, after much thought and research I have decided to take on a project to custom build a 1/10th scale version of this beauty. According to my calculations at this scale it will be 79" long and have a 52" wingspan. I plan to power it with twin 90mm Freewing F-4 Phantom fans (9 blade, 1750 kV motor). It will have Robart electric retracts, possibly brakes, and a drag chute. The basic structure will be 1/2" foam board covered with 1/4" foam and fiberglassed over. I plan to make a carbon fiber "skeleton" that will tie the landing gear and fans together with CF wing spars. I hope to also utilize parts made on my 3D printer but I am still learning the design software. My goal, if it all works out, will be to take it to Jet Jam next June. That is my plan anyway.

Click image for larger version  Name:	f-117-nighthawk-large-56a61c565f9b58b7d0dff7b1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	91.9 KB ID:	148128

Progress so far... I received today the Robart electric retracts for it and I am impressed.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180822_190728.jpg Views:	1 Size:	298.8 KB ID:	148119

It will have 3.25" main wheels and a 2.25" nose wheel. Basically the same as the A-10 so it shouldn't have a problem flying off of grass surfaces.

I started out purchasing a Testors 1/32 plastic model of the F-117 which helped me with a start on a drawing for it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180708_210511.jpg Views:	1 Size:	230.3 KB ID:	148120

Comment

The drawing is full size.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180805_190413.jpg
Views:	956
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	148123

It has changed slightly as a result of finding a Squadron Publications walk around book of the F-117.

Name:	IMG_20180817_173128.jpg
Views:	1119
Size:	214.1 KB
ID:	148124

Name:	IMG_20180822_191456.jpg
Views:	908
Size:	208.2 KB
ID:	148125

Comment

Awesome! That’s going to be a great size. I’ve been waiting for an F-117 to be mass produced to fit in a range of an 80-105mm. Black paint and EPO is a no-go for sunshine and heat, so hopefully if one is mass produced manufacturers resort to using other materials that still won’t cost a fortune or a covering somehow to protect it (easier said than done, as I know others have tried and it was just so-so).

This custom one will be loads of fun to watch the project progress. Good luck with it all. :Cool:

Comment

The fans will be here by Friday and the CF tubes, CF sheet, CF cloth and resin will be here shortly there after. I was given four boxes of Z-Poxy by a gentleman I met at Joe Nall to apply the fiberglass to the outside of it which is a big help. With these things I should be able to start piecing the framework together after I get my building surface sorted out. I plan to use two flat hollow core doors butted edge to edge with a piece of 1/2" foam board over it. It will be built up from the flat surface basically making it up as I go. More to come...

Comment

FRIGGIN AWESOME!
            Love the design and Engineering!
            Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

Originally posted by T-CAT View Post
              Awesome! That’s going to be a great size. I’ve been waiting for an F-117 to be mass produced to fit in a range of an 80-105mm. Black paint and EPO is a no-go for sunshine and heat, so hopefully if one is mass produced manufacturers resort to using other materials that still won’t cost a fortune or a covering somehow to protect it (easier said than done, as I know others have tried and it was just so-so).

This custom one will be loads of fun to watch the project progress. Good luck with it all. :Cool:
              Thanks T-CAT. Been thinking this one over for some time now. At least I have a plan... I think... of how I will attempt to do it. Once I get my table cleaned off I will be off and running.

Comment

Originally posted by e4dragongunner View Post
                FRIGGIN AWESOME!
                Love the design and Engineering!
                Thank you sir! Fans and retracts are key to beginning the build so more pics soon.

Comment

By the way, I would be stupid to think I have this all figured out so I welcome suggestions and input as things progress. The goal is to succeed and have a good flying bird in the end. First attempts at the airframe may lead to 2nd or even 3rd attempts which is just continuous improvement. One thing is for sure, I have looked at numerous drawings and I have the plastic model and none of them completely match the scaled down dimmensions or features of the full jet so it will be as close as I can make it. Still it should look bad a$$ when done.

Comment

The Testors model is very inaccurate--just look at the engine inlet area. Also the FLIR camera opening and canopy look off. Consider using the Trumpeter 1/32 scale model as a reference. It is arguably the best F-117 model out there.

Comment

Originally posted by cg7060 View Post
                      The Testors model is very inaccurate--just look at the engine inlet area. Also the FLIR camera opening and canopy look off. Consider using the Trumpeter 1/32 scale model as a reference. It is arguably the best F-117 model out there.
                      Cool! I will look into it. That was the first thing I noticed when I got the Squadron book was that the Testors model was completely missing the intake grate de-icing features and some of the facets were different. Always makes me wonder if there were earlier versions? None the less, I want to make it as accurate as I can to full-size service birds.

Comment

Another thing to consider is the exhaust thrust angle. The real jet exhaust was deflected upward--not straight out the back. It was done to minimize infrared signature. You may have to alter this area to avoid a pitch up moment or it might flip on its back. Notice how LX designed the exhaust area on their models.

Comment

True. That was the other thing I noticed from the Squadron book and you are correct. The LX 64mm I have has no such deflection. There are going to have to be some liberties taken but hopefully they will be subtle enough that it won't matter.

Comment

Have you thought about the control surfaces yet? The Nighthawk has a pair of inboard elevons (not flaps) and outboard elevons that work in unison. I would probably run separate servos for redundancy, but one could simplify the design and make them one-piece and still maintain accuracy. And from what I've read, the rudders are for yaw control only in flight, despite what can be seen in some ground photos.

Comment

Yes I have. I have planned to run separate servos for the elevons. I know that the Aviation Design plane had fixed ruddervaters as well as the LX 64mm version. Both probably also have one piece elevons. At least the LX I have does. I still want to make the rudders functional. As far as the elevons are concerned I have thought to have a little more travel on the inboard pair but still undecided on that but I know the plane does not use flaps.

Comment

By the way, welcome to HobbySquawk and thanks for the input.

Comment

Something else I have been concerned about is the leading edge of the wing. The Aviation Design bird ended up with an actual airfoil which somewhat detracts from the planes appeal in my opinion but I read where the designers tried a stock wing shape and determined it was too unstable. I think more than anything it has to do with the sharpness of the leading edge. I plan to keep the facets in place but make the leading edge not so sharp. That is how the LX is anyway and it has no adverse tendencies.

Comment

Originally posted by cg7060 View Post
                                    Dang son! That Trumpeter 1/32 model is over $100. Never spent that much on a plastic model but it looks complete even with duct liners. Still, if I want to take the time to do this I need to do it right so I will have to consider it.

Comment

Looks like a great project Steve! Scratch built, one off projects keep the mind young and well exercized:Cool:;).

Comment

I agree. I want something you just don't see many of and I think this fits the bill. Kind of like Brent Hecht's 12' long T-38.

Comment

Working...
                                        X