X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by txcreature View Post
    Hello everyone - just got my Freewing 90mm 8S F-22! Wondering if there is any sort of comprehensive list of recommended mods for this kit? I'm reading all kinds of posts regarding:

Bypassing the blue box
    Different bec than the one included
    Running separate receiver battery instead of bec
    Problematic stock servos
    Use Spekrum receiver / Don't use spektrum receiver
    etc etc

It's enough to make my head spin... I really don't want to crash this jet due to faulty (insert favorite hated part here). Maybe I'm worrying too much?
    Welcome to Hobby Squawk! Here are my opinions:

Hook everything up stock through the blue box first and see if it presents any issues (cycle the landing gear a lot as that seems to be a common factor in issues). If everything appears to work fine, go with it. If any issues are presented, bypass.
    The stock UBEC works just fine, but you can replace it for your own peace of mind if you want.
    I'd stay with a UBEC here. Adding an RX pack is just going to add more weight.
    I think the stock servos on the F-22 are fine (they are all full metal gear). The F-18 is the one that was having issues with the stock servos (they are hybrid metal gear).
    Hook up your Spektrum RX and look for any issues with the blue box. Bypass the box if there are any.

The F-22 is an awesome flier, you're going to love it!
    Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by txcreature View Post
      Hello everyone - just got my Freewing 90mm 8S F-22!
      TXC, Great suggestions from 'crxmanpat' and "Welcome to The Squawk". Best, LB
      I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
        Welcome to Hobby Squawk! Here are my opinions:

Hook everything up stock through the blue box first and see if it presents any issues (cycle the landing gear a lot as that seems to be a common factor in issues). If everything appears to work fine, go with it. If any issues are presented, bypass.
        The stock UBEC works just fine, but you can replace it for your own peace of mind if you want.
        I'd stay with a UBEC here. Adding an RX pack is just going to add more weight.
        I think the stock servos on the F-22 are fine (they are all full metal gear). The F-18 is the one that was having issues with the stock servos (they are hybrid metal gear).
        Hook up your Spektrum RX and look for any issues with the blue box. Bypass the box if there are any.

The F-22 is an awesome flier, you're going to love it!
        Thanks for the suggestions, sounds like a plan!

Comment

• Agreed with Pat...I haven't had any issues with mine stock including the BB. About 30 flights and she's a jewel.
          My YouTube RC videos:
          https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Jeez, this thing is big!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3186.jpg Views:	0 Size:	95.0 KB ID:	213168

Comment

• There's a joke here somewhere but I am not gonna bite.
              My YouTube RC videos:
              https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Chasing that enigmatic Have Glass sheen seen on the F-22, I think I’ve come to something relatively close. The problem is that the metallic crystals in the paints currently available are too large and give to much of a reflective flake effect. I’ve tried Modern Masters Matte Mettalic from Home Depot as a straight paint on attempt but if was too silvery. After attempting to put dull coat over it, it just turned to gray so that was out. Next up was Liquitex Iridescent Medium overcoat. Even with different variations of thinning, it just appeared as too glittery for my taste. Finally decided on Rust-oleum Metallic Satin Nickel as the base coat and Mission Models Have Glass Gray FS36170 as the final colors. The Satin Nickel still looks too silvery but it does look close to what the full scale looks like from certain angle and so I’m going to run with that. Plus, it’s going to give my F-22 some “bling” effect when next to all of the other F-22’s out there.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Welcome to Hobby Squawk, Texas Creature!!! Glad you are here. Cool work on the canopy, V!!!

Comment

• Our F-22 Airshow performance at my annual airshow... I had a high school freshman and junior flying with me...

Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                    I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• Build question: Where does the extra 2 inch piece of plywood belong? I also opened a ticket with MRC and will update here if I get an answer from them first.

Comment

• Did you get an ARF+ or PNP? Typically that piece holds down the ESC.
                        Pat

Comment

• I got the PNP version

Comment

• They must have added that piece accidentally as on the PNP it should already be secured over the ESC. Might be a good idea to look at the ESC and ensure it has the ply brace installed.
                            Pat

Comment

• ESC is secured with ply so maybe its just extra

Comment

• Originally posted by hkduder View Post
                                Build question: Where does the extra 2 inch piece of plywood belong? I also opened a ticket with MRC and will update here if I get an answer from them first.
                                I just posted my photos on the F-35 thread regarding Fan and ESC maintenance. These are the F-35 photos shown as reference below. The plywood strip is used to strap down the ESC with 2 screws.
                                Rich

Attached Files

Comment

• That doesnt look like the same piece of ply I have.

Comment

• Can you post a picture so we can help a little more?

Comment

• HK, welcome Bro! Glad you are here! Enjoy the forum. Jerry

Comment

• Hardway thanks. I’m not new to RC but definitely EDFs.

Comment

• That piece looks like it was part of the laser-cut battery tray, and was not removed properly. It does not go anywhere.
                                          Pat

Comment

Working...
                                          X