Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m a 6S guy, but I had to spring for the 8S. What will be the best match for this beast? I didnt see anything on 8S on the product page!

Comment

Originally posted by Alphaflight View Post
      I’m a 6S guy, but I had to spring for the 8S. What will be the best match for this beast? I didnt see anything on 8S on the product page!
      Hi there Alphaflight, welcome home to Hobby Squawk! I fly the Admiral 6s 5000, in series with an Admiral 2s 5000. The result is a 8s 5000 with fits in the F-22 and flies it wonderfully. The added advantage is I can still unplug the 2s 5000 and use just the 6s 5000 in any of the other 90mm jets from Freewing and most of the 80mms, too.

https://www.motionrc.com/collections...ector_type=EC5

This is the connector I use:

EC5 2 to 1 Series Adapter from BenchCraft - BCT5061-029 Features: Allows you to connect two batteries to one ESC in series. This will increase the the voltage available to the ESC and motor but will not increase the capacity. For example, you can connect two 3000 mAh 4 cell batteries to an ESC with this adapter and the

If you do decide to use two 4s 4000 or two 4s 5000 in series instead of the 6s+2S, I'd still recommend using EC5 connectors instead of XT60s due to the amp draw of the 8s system.

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Alphaflight
        Alphaflight commented
        Editing a comment
        I think I will go with your suggestion of 6S and 2S!! I have a ton of 6S and want to continue using them, but I will have purchase some batteries either way! Thanks

Pre-Ordered! can't wait

Comment

Congratulations Alpha on the F22 release!

Comment

Very bad ass! I watched the video last night and was really impressed. The only thing it needs is the light up afterburners! In some ways I am glad I don't have a suitable flying area for the EDF's because I can quickly see them sucking up a lot of my income. The F-14, F-4, and F-22 would all be in my hanger.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post

Hi there Alphaflight, welcome home to Hobby Squawk! I fly the Admiral 6s 5000, in series with an Admiral 2s 5000. The result is a 8s 5000 with fits in the F-22 and flies it wonderfully. The added advantage is I can still unplug the 2s 5000 and use just the 6s 5000 in any of the other 90mm jets from Freewing and most of the 80mms, too.

https://www.motionrc.com/collections...ector_type=EC5

This is the connector I use:

EC5 2 to 1 Series Adapter from BenchCraft - BCT5061-029 Features: Allows you to connect two batteries to one ESC in series. This will increase the the voltage available to the ESC and motor but will not increase the capacity. For example, you can connect two 3000 mAh 4 cell batteries to an ESC with this adapter and the

If you do decide to use two 4s 4000 or two 4s 5000 in series instead of the 6s+2S, I'd still recommend using EC5 connectors instead of XT60s due to the amp draw of the 8s system.
            Alpha, thanks SOOO much for the 2s tip. I have no idea why I never thought about that. I have a few 6s 5000mah lipos but really want the 8s version and I was having a hard time justifying getting it over the 6s knowing I would need two 4s lipos as well. You just solved that one for me as well! You just never disappoint!

8s have the same early ETA as the 6s? THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK ON THIS AMAZING JET!

Comment

I can't tell you how long I've waited for this plane. Can't wait to get this together, even if it sits static for 2-4mo in this crummy Chicago winter. Being that I'll have more time to tinker, does anyone have a particular recommendation for nav lights? It looks like the board comes equipped to get nav lights hooked up. Pre-ordered!

Comment

JamesonC, if you're pairing a new 2s pack to an existing 6s pack, be sure to balance the cells and monitor them for the first ten flights. You'll want to break in the 2s over those flights and ensure they're not sagging sooner versus the older 6s' cells. Assuming that phase proceeds without issue, you can return to a normal lipo maintenance cycle moving forward. Where possible, I mark my packs and try to always fly the same pair. Added precaution never hurts. As can be seen in our flight video series, I lost a cell on the second flight of a brand new pack mid-flight. Luckily this bird is so floaty I was able to pancake it in the bushes without damage and we were flying it again within minutes.

​​​​​

Purduephigam, I'm glad you're excited to receive your Raptor. The MFCB accepts the usual wide array of LEDs that we sell from Freewing, so it's just a matter of plugging in and running wires to your chosen locations. I can't say too much yet but we've got a couple expansion sets planned for this aircraft to test the waters on some new ideas, which is one of the main reasons why the MFCB's ports are largely unused... more updates to come after Arizona Jets. This coming year is going to see some experimentation and general shifts on certain aspects of our product lineup, which I think will please most people. The 3DPUPs over the past year are just a start. Each new release is going to up the ante in its own way, in ways we haven't explored yet in terms of lighting, scale features, performance/price balance, optional expandability, etc. Exciting times!

But for right now, the spotlight is the Raptor's flight envelope. Nothing in our pipeline into 2020 will fly like it!

We've got a "Maneuvers Checklist Challenge" video in the works, basically showing a series of maneuvers organized into named and timestamped sections. We'll then challenge our customer family to post videos mimicking those maneuvers. Maybe a prize? We'll figure it out soon. It sounded like a fun idea between us here, anyway.

As always, details to follow and will be posted on Hobby Squawk first.
                ​​

Comment

Thanks for the info Alpha! I have a few 6s 5000mah lipos that are in good shape and perform well. Gonna try to strap an admiral 2s 5000 to those and see how it does before dropping another $100 on another 6s 5000. Thanks for the advice and cautions! Do you know if the 8s eta is the same as the 6s eta? Have you flown the 8s version? Any input on different characteristics? THANKS

Comment

Alpha, looks like a great job on your end, and the flight envelope is clearly the "unique selling proposition" for this model. I preordered my 6s this morning.

My question -- in the demo video posted last night, you were flying the 6s version, were you not? Or does it need 8s to do the vertical shown? You might have said in the video, but I was watching in a restaurant and did not hear all of the audio.

Also, I'm a little disappointed in the complaints about price I've seen on other forums and FB. It's a shame so many modelers don't realize what it takes to produce a model of this size and quality. It's only $79 more than the Freewing DH Venom, which is without a doubt one of the nicest flying 90mm EDFs out there -- but that's an older kit and the finish on that model is nothing to write home about. Between the improved fan/motor and the beautiful paint job alone, is there not $79 worth of extra value?

I've purchased $280 foamies and then spent another $200+ on better electronics and repaints to get them "right".

I'm definitely going to do the 3D cockpit on mine, although I'll have to find a vendor to do the output.

Comment

Also, a suggestion for the MRC website specifications section:

Not all of us drive SUVs! Sometimes the decision to buy a particular model is dependent on being able to fit the model into the car.

I think it would be very useful to include the following information:

In addition to overall length, add length WITH NOSE CONE REMOVED.

In addition to wingspan, add "SPAN" WITH WINGS REMOVED.

I'm figuring that since the dimensions are similar to the 90mm F-16 (which I can fit) that the F-22 will as well. It had better!

Comment

I'm trying to be good about maintaining a reasonable fleet size (quality vs quantity) , but I might need to sell off my scratchbuilt ERJ to open a spot in my hangar for the Raptor. :Thinking:

Originally posted by MrSmoothie View Post

Not all of us drive SUVs! Sometimes the decision to buy a particular model is dependent on being able to fit the model into the car.

I'm figuring that since the dimensions are similar to the 90mm F-16 (which I can fit) that the F-22 will as well. It had better!
                        I second this request. I can be crafty with maximizing plane density in my car, but I have my limits.:)

Comment

The fuselage is 340mm wide without the main wings. The H-stabs are 710mm tip to tip. Removing the magnetic nose come shortens the aircraft to 1360mm. You're right about transportation and storage, which is why we're always very considerate of overall dimensions. Don't worry about the Raptor, despite its large size it doesn't need an SUV... mine fits in a sedan through the rear door without removing the wings.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181030_172031.jpg
Views:	1407
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	160159

Comment

How does the 90mm F-22 compare to the 90mm F-15 in terms of flight characteristics? I do not own a 90mm F-15, but have flown my buddy's F-15 plenty of times. I really like the scale aspect of the F-15 and the attention to detail. The F-15 however does land pretty hot and seem to have a poor glide slope without power. It is also a bit of a handful in landing 10mph cross wind conditions.

The reason I ask is, I'd like to purchase my own 90mm F-15 but the standard version is currently out of stock. I also really want the 90mm F-22, but at the moment only have budget for one more 90mm jet.

Comment

Hey guys, some more media for you. Here is the Flight Review. Big thanks to Pilot Patrick Croasdale for helping me out with this at the Cobb County Radio Control club outside of Atlanta.

Comment

And here is the Unboxing/Assembly of the F-22! Love having her on the rack in my studio. Such a good looking bird.

Comment

Originally posted by MrSmoothie View Post

I second that request as well. I hesitated on buying the MiG-21 for several month because I'm not sure if it'll fit inside my Acura, until a fellow member is able to verify that it'll fit into his sedan. Here is my MiG squeezed inside my Acura RL. My back seat doesn't fold down.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

wife asked me if I wanted this f22 for Christmas...I said no...now if it had been a f100 id jumped all over it lol

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
                                      The fuselage is 340mm wide without the main wings. The H-stabs are 710mm tip to tip. Removing the magnetic nose come shortens the aircraft to 1360mm. You're right about transportation and storage, which is why we're always very considerate of overall dimensions. Don't worry about the Raptor, despite its large size it doesn't need an SUV... mine fits in a sedan through the rear door without removing the wings.
                                      Alpha,

Could you test fit it without the rear seat folded down? Looks like at an angle it'll fit. Thanks! My dilemma is my Acura RL only has a trunk pass-thru, the seats don't fold down.

Comment

I can get my F-4, mig, f-104 plus more in my mid-size car. My trunk can fit a 70mm jet too!

Comment

Working...
                                        X