Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So you say it's Evelyn's F-22 Tony? Has she claimed it?

Comment

• Sometimes the known KISS principle wins (Keep It Simple Stupid), but I like to switch the “Stupid” with “Smart”. Although some of the bells and whistles on models work and can work reliably, sometimes overcomplication or added accessories can be more troublesome and be more of a headache than they are worth. If something doesn’t add quite enough functionality and fun for me to offset the complexity, added cost, and/or potential weight, it’s hard to justify its addition.

I enjoy when a model will fly great and predictably in a multitude of conditions, function reliably, be versatile, as well as look scale (or scale enough for me). Personally, this is what this F-22 appears to do and in a scale fashion. I don’t have one obviously, but when I do, I expect it to be what I described above. If not, I’ll know that too LOL. I prefer to have a F-22 with good wing loading, one that takes enough advantage of that incredible airframe for fun maneuvers and slow flight, yet provide enough giddy-up when a person wants it, and enough scale fidelity to make me proud looking at it in the air and on the ground. This one seems to checkmark those boxes for me. Tons of added complexity could have been added to it, but overall I’m happy with the direction Freewing and Motion RC decided to take with it to bring this jet to fruition at a reasonable price and feature set.

I don’t think additions like thrust vectoring would have added that much more fun for me personally (although it is fun), and I dislike the added distraction in the look of it, at least how they looked in the past on other Freewing jets, as well as the added weight. Would I have liked to see a fully sealed main gear door compartments? You bet, ha-ha, since it is a stealth aircraft and incredibly smooth and clean, but I can definitely see why that would be an interesting venture on this model, and lack of it is not a deal sealer for me. Having the main gear and gear doors function as they do now had to have taken a lot of work as is and the new parts that come with it. One addition I would have liked to see is NAV lights on the top side of the aircrafts wings, although more is seen on the full scale like on the bottom side of the wings and flashing beacons, etc. We customers of course can add them easily with the new multi-function box and cut into the foam cleanly ourselves, but it will never be as clean as a factory configured installation. I would have gladly paid extra to have this done, not $50 extra of total but some more nonetheless. These are little things and are in no way a make or break for me with this particular model. Like most things, it’s all about managing trade-offs. It’s a give and take, and Freewing and Motion RC tend to do that well in my opinion.

I am thrilled to have a F-22 of this size, and one that appears to live up to the great flying characteristics, all at a reasonable price. Having an overall great flying model IS the most important factor when deciding upon a new model purchase. I can’t wait to get one in the future! I am very excited!

Comment

• Woohoo Woody! Sweet!

Comment

• When Alpha mentioned surfing the wind my friend Ray came to mind. He is no longer with us but I learned so much from him while he was.
          Reminiscent of Alpha's musings.
          Right down to the fishing rod...lol
          He says " This one " A few times. Its something
          That only a designer would say and reflects the notion that they are all equal. Their is no catch all save all Holy grail aircraft in their mind.
          The F-22 EDF trainer really is going to entertain us.
          This peice is for you also Tom and the entire MRC staff. For years I have also handed out a Kudo to the Production managers and staff at the factory and would like to say Thank You from all of us !

Hobbies Aloft R/C Flight School owner, Ray Smith, was asked to do a public interest piece for local TV station KSBW, back in 1993. Ray demonstrated a glide...

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
            Great shots as always! Now we all know Miss Evelyn isn't on the larger spectrum for human size of course but even still these are great shots to really appreciate the size of this F-22!
            It is a nice size Raptor. Thanks Aros!

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
              So you say it's Evelyn's F-22 Tony? Has she claimed it?
              It was sent to Evelyn, not me....seriously! :)

I'm happy being the aircraft maintainer, occasional demo pilot, and her photographer. Evelyn is still at home, attending Embry Riddle Aeronautical University and working on Edwards AFB...that's a good thing. ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by xplaneguy View Post
                It was sent to Evelyn, not me! :)

I'm happy being the aircraft maintainer, occasional demo pilot, and her photographer. I'm just glad she's still with me, for now. :)
                That is awesome! I love hearing that.

Comment

• Awesome pictures Tony! Seeing the plane in that setting near Edwards reminds me of when I saw the F-22 do its Demo at an air show when I was younger. This was me....:Scared::Drooling::Dizzy::Win:.

Comment

• Aros,

Great job on the F-22 banner on the forum. That looks freaking awesome buddy. :Smug:

Comment

• Is that Evelyn in the pilots suit holding it ?

Comment

• I go to the Maramar Airshow almost every year. Occasionally they will have an F-22 there to put on a display. It's always my favorite. Looks like the Millennium Falcon flying around. Frankly this model is a very accurate simulation of almost exactly how they fly.

Woody

Second favorite, Harrier.

Comment

• Originally posted by T-CAT View Post
                          Aros,

Great job on the F-22 banner on the forum. That looks freaking awesome buddy. :Smug:
                          Hey thanks man!

My YouTube RC videos:
                          https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Pete Lane View Post
                            Is that Evelyn in the pilots suit holding it ?
                            No! I think it's Alpha! ;)

Comment

• Pete Lane
                              Pete Lane commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Nudge.....Lol

• When I first saw yesterday that it did not have VT, I was disappointed as I wanted it to do all of the cool maneuvers the full scale is capable of. But after then watching Alpha toss it around the sky, I'm convinced VT is not needed. December 17 can't come quick enough!
                            Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by T-CAT View Post
                              Awesome pictures Tony! Seeing the plane in that setting near Edwards reminds me of when I saw the F-22 do its Demo at an air show when I was younger. This was me....:Scared::Drooling::Dizzy::Win:.
                              Thanks Tommy!

GET SOME!!!! :)

Comment

• I'm going to stop visiting Freewing threads on other forums... the energy here is so much more positive. No whining about "it's missing <insert feature here>", no crying about "nice plane but wish you would have released <insert plane here>". I really tip my hat to you guys for yet another AWESOME release!
                                This is SO true.

Comment

• I love the smell of new RC toys in the morning, but specifically a F-22. Woohoo! Can’t wait man.

Comment

• Alpha, not sure if you saw this question, or if I missed your answer:

In the demo video posted last night, you were flying the 6s version, were you not? Or does it need 8s to do the vertical shown? You might have said in the video, but I was watching in a restaurant and did not hear all of the audio.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrSmoothie View Post
                                      Alpha, not sure if you saw this question, or if I missed your answer:

In the demo video posted last night, you were flying the 6s version, were you not? Or does it need 8s to do the vertical shown? You might have said in the video, but I was watching in a restaurant and did not hear all of the audio.
                                      Alpha was flyng the 6S version.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrSmoothie View Post

This is SO true.
                                        Came home from the Zoo also.

Also.....

R
                                        A
                                        P
                                        T
                                        O
                                        R

So cleverly disguised. It was right in front of us.

Comment

Working...
                                        X