You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

90mm F18 with thrust vectoring permanently disabled?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90mm F18 with thrust vectoring permanently disabled?

I'm not interested in the thrust vectoring and have just a six channel radio.
    Is it possible to permanently disable the TV and use the six channel radio?

thanks,
    Rich

RE: 90mm F18 with thrust vectoring permanently disabled?

You can disconnect the thrust-vector servos. You could also remove the thrust-vector servos and glue the nozzles in a fixed position.

Of course, this will remove the ability to yaw, unless you modify the rudders.

Comment

A better solution would be to get a 7 to 8-channel receiver. This will cover you for future upgrades. What type radio are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by Pheonix
        A better solution would be to get a 7 to 8-channel receiver.  This will cover you for future upgrades.  What type radio are you using?
        Futaba 6EX
        I do use aftermarket 7-8 channel recievers tho.
        would plugging the TV servos in these ports energize them but let them remain in a neutral position?

Thanx,
        Rich

Comment

The original question did say "permanently".

If you use a receiver with more channels than the transmitter, I imagine that the unused channels would be "energized" and remain fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by fredmdbud
            The original question did say "permanently".

If you use a receiver with more channels than the transmitter, I imagine that the unused channels would be "energized" and remain fixed.
            Thanks, works for me.

Rich

Comment

To add another layer to this discussion, I have found that the Freewing 90mm F/A-18 has a very long takeoff roll. Flaps helps to shorten the takeoff roll, and so does elevator with the thrust vectoring active. Rather than permanently securing the nozzles, another alternative would be to Y-harness the elevator TV servos with your elevator servos, then connect all four into the single Elevator channel on your radio. Finally, use your Elevator's D/R switch to toggle between more throw (useful for takeoff) and less throw (for general flight maneuvers).
              Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Alpha is correct. I mostly fly mine at Marine Air Station Miramar where we have a long run way. Short run ways will work if you use TV. I sometimes fly off a dirt surface and could not do so without the TV. TV setup is not that difficult to do. I am sure you can get help from the forum if needed. I simply love flying my Hornet

Comment

Originally posted by Pheonix
                  Alpha is correct.  I mostly fly mine at Marine Air Station Miramar where we have a long run way.  Short run ways will work if you use TV.  I sometimes fly off a dirt surface and could not do so without the TV.  TV setup is not that difficult to do.  I am sure you can get help from the forum if needed.  I simply love flying my Hornet
                  Whats the status of Miramar now? I assume the Navy closed it some time ago, general aviation? or do you have it all to yourself (just Wishin).
                  CT

Comment

The aviation unit is still there. I can only wish we had that run way.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC
                      To add another layer to this discussion, I have found that the Freewing 90mm F/A-18 has a very long takeoff roll. Flaps helps to shorten the takeoff roll, and so does elevator with the thrust vectoring active. Rather than permanently securing the nozzles, another alternative would be to Y-harness the elevator TV servos with your elevator servos, then connect all four into the single Elevator channel on your radio. Finally, use your Elevator's D/R switch to toggle between more throw (useful for takeoff) and less throw (for general flight maneuvers).
                      TY Alpha! I never would have thought of that! That would work great as our runway is 400ft long.

Rich

Comment

Am I the last person to actively fly this old bird?:Thinking: I found the unmarked box lurking in the dark recesses of my garage a few days ago. This is the maiden.

There are hundreds of RC aviation videos viewable here; WBRC

Comment

Perhaps only till I fly mine again. I flew mine last summer and I plane to fly it again in the coming weeks. All 4 dozen of my planes take their turns. I'm sure there are still many of them out there but with the advent of the new V2 version, I doubt anyone really thinks much about the old one anymore.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3122.JPG
Views:	349
Size:	259.4 KB
ID:	200761

Comment

Thats great to see. My first thought when looking at the dates of this thread was the last of them might be gone. I like your custom livery!
                            There are hundreds of RC aviation videos viewable here; WBRC

Comment

Originally posted by WrightBrosRC View Post
                              Thats great to see. My first thought when looking at the dates of this thread was the last of them might be gone. I like your custom livery!
                              Well, it's not really "custom". It was the stock livery as sold in Australia through Xtreme Hobby there. They stopped selling them some years ago as Xtreme had a poor reputation in OZ. In fact, Xtreme doesn't even sell Freewing anymore and they don't seem to sell much of anything anymore. They didn't take the remaining stock from the Freewing Factory and Motion was kind enough to get me one of only 5 remaining in the warehouse as a special order for me. I think they are all gone now. Even your livery, which was the main theme for the rest of the world, is no longer available. I have a feeling they've been discontinued since the factory now makes the V2. I don't know what they did with the molds. It's not the same size as the V2, so they may have melted them down for scrap and made other molds out of it.
                              I'll be getting my V2 on about a week and I'll bet the quality of the foam in the new one will far surpass that of the old one. You know as well as I do, the foam on the old one was quite soft and not very strong. It's also quite porous. I coated mine with Mod Podge to seal up the pores and help make the surface a bit more solid.

Comment

Working...
                              X