Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Word of caution to anyone purchasing the 9bl plastic fans that come stock on the A-10. I had one arrive recently without a tail cone included in the box. MRC support said that several boxes were missing the tail cone, but they found me one with it and sent it out. I think someone at Freewing forgot to put them in on a batch run.
    Pat

Comment

• My F-14 won the Best Scale Flight award at our club's Jet Rally this weekend.
      Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
        My F-14 won the Best Scale Flight award at our club's Jet Rally this weekend.
        Congratulations!!!
        Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
        Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

Very cool!!!! I have had mine put together and programmed and ready to maiden for over a year!!! LOL I bet the wings are stuck back!!! I guess the old 9303 is still going strong!! I still use mine!!! :Cool:

Comment

• Originally posted by Hardway View Post

Very cool!!!! I have had mine put together and programmed and ready to maiden for over a year!!! LOL I bet the wings are stuck back!!! I guess the old 9303 is still going strong!! I still use mine!!! :Cool:
            Yep, very happy with it, especially since it's the airplane version and not heli like my older one.
            Pat

Comment

That’s awesome!! Congrats Pat!

Comment

• Nice going Pat!
                My YouTube RC videos:
                https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• I put three flights on my Tomcat this morning and had a bit of a revelation. The full flap setting I was using was the cause of the majority if not all of my landing difficulties. The pitch down moment from the full flap setting would cause the nose gear to slam down at touchdown, the nose strut would rebound and send the airplane back into the air. I'm sure you have seen this on youtube. I have nearly forty years experience flying R/C and I was finding it beyond frustrating that I couldn't land this thing with any kind of consistency. With my half flap setting It landed so much easier, much better pitch authority throughout the flare and touchdown. I'm sorry I don't have an exact degree of deflection but I uploaded pictures of my half flap and full flap settings. For reference I am using RC Geeks full span flap setup. Hope this helps.

Comment

• Originally posted by pullupnow View Post
                    I put three flights on my Tomcat this morning and had a bit of a revelation. The full flap setting I was using was the cause of the majority if not all of my landing difficulties. The pitch down moment from the full flap setting would cause the nose gear to slam down at touchdown, the nose strut would rebound and send the airplane back into the air. I'm sure you have seen this on youtube. I have nearly forty years experience flying R/C and I was finding it beyond frustrating that I couldn't land this thing with any kind of consistency. With my half flap setting It landed so much easier, much better pitch authority throughout the flare and touchdown. I'm sorry I don't have an exact degree of deflection but I uploaded pictures of my half flap and full flap settings. For reference I am using RC Geeks full span flap setup. Hope this helps.
                    This could explain my difficulties as well. I too was using RC Geeks full flap settings (in fact I uploaded his SPM file to my radio for his precise settings) and I too was experiencing the same nose pop up on landings and it was driving me crazy that I couldn't figure out the cause. I tried every combination of the landing sequence with no luck. I finally sold the bird because I just felt something was off with it (including the right roll tendency which I believe was related to ESCs not being completely in synch from the factory). Maybe down the road I will try another one with different settings because it really is a sweet jet.
                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post

This could explain my difficulties as well. I too was using RC Geeks full flap settings (in fact I uploaded his SPM file to my radio for his precise settings) and I too was experiencing the same nose pop up on landings and it was driving me crazy that I couldn't figure out the cause. I tried every combination of the landing sequence with no luck. I finally sold the bird because I just felt something was off with it (including the right roll tendency which I believe was related to ESCs not being completely in synch from the factory). Maybe down the road I will try another one with different settings because it really is a sweet jet.
                      It was an amazing difference between the two flap settings. Just night and day, It will always command attention in the air, just glad I figured this out before I broke it in half on a not so good landing. I would recommend another try. Cheers!

Comment

• I really do want to like this plane, but i've been through 1 and a half now...it might be beyond my skill set (25 years in R/C).

Both aircraft - one totaled, one being rebuilt now - roll out, pull up, gather speed, pull up a bit more and appear to stall/roll over and flounder a bit before pancaking in.

CG appears good at 3.5" back from manual point, batteries are 2x 5000Mah 6s pushed to the read per the RC Geek instructions to hog out foam and make room.

My only theory at this point is control throws just a bit too high causing the tailerons to stall...but i'm not 100% sure.

Any thoughts or experience?

Comment

• Originally posted by cdavis11 View Post
                          I really do want to like this plane, but i've been through 1 and a half now...it might be beyond my skill set (25 years in R/C).

Both aircraft - one totaled, one being rebuilt now - roll out, pull up, gather speed, pull up a bit more and appear to stall/roll over and flounder a bit before pancaking in.

CG appears good at 3.5" back from manual point, batteries are 2x 5000Mah 6s pushed to the read per the RC Geek instructions to hog out foam and make room.

My only theory at this point is control throws just a bit too high causing the tailerons to stall...but i'm not 100% sure.

Any thoughts or experience?
                          I set up my control throws exactly as RC Geek depicted, I set up the stab linkages as per manual (servo horn on the third hole and elevator horn on the outside hole) I think that you have to maintain that mechanical advantage as not to overload the elevator servos. That said, my particular airframe always has flown very predictably without any strange habits, My big issue was when I went to the full flap setting I had programmed for landing I would have to maintain too high of an approach speed to have enough pitch authority for landing flare. I would consistently bounce the landings, I had a few close calls believe me. It sounds like you have it set up properly, and with 25 years experience I have no doubt you are capable of flying it. It could be an anomaly in your particular airframe. Sorry I don't have much more for you, I can tell you the last few flights I had with it was pure joy, not having the pucker factor of landing it! When you fly it again, wait for a calm day with no turbulence, that may make it easier to pinpoint any flight characteristics that you need to adjust.

Stick with it.

Best of luck

Comment

• Had a great flight Sunday morning. Gettin comfortable with her.

Comment

Very nice Pat! Congrats!

Comment

• Flight number 3 for today. Self critique on the landing.. don't do it like I just demonstrated here. With the half flap setting I use for landing It floats quite a bit until you get her slowed down. I was rushing it because it was 37 degrees out and I couldn't feel my fingers. I was power off most of the way on final.
                                Totally unstable, I should have been slower and power on for the approach. anyway I touched down too fast and ran long on the landing. As it stands the worst of the three landings was the one on film :)

Comment

• Um, there was no bucking bronco effect so I call that a killer landing! LOL
                                  My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                                    Um, there was no bucking bronco effect so I call that a killer landing! LOL
                                    Thanks.. The reduced flap setting was the trick.

Comment

• Can anyone give as a donation/sponsorship a F-14 scale model , no matter the size and condition for static display for an rc and general aviation museum ? Check the project page: www.aerospot.eu . Shipping/delivery won't be a problem. Thank you.

Comment

• This is the latest promo video that was just put out today for the soon to be released F-14 A/B module for DCS World flight simulator. Some cool quick features, it will support multi crew so it will be possible to fly with a buddy as pilot and RIO online. If you don't have a RIO there will be an AI RIO called Jester. And you can change the liveries to which ever one you desire. There will even be an Iranian Tomcat variant! I can't wait to start getting familiar with the F-14 virtually to better prepare me for the day I buy my own RC Tomcat and fly it with a bit more confidence.

Comment

• DCS is killing it with the realism. Fantastic stuff, thanks for sharing!
                                          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Working...
                                          X