X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by andrew_flyguy View Post
    Click image for larger version Name:	B221196D-5DED-4526-8068-7746167E6F5C.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	97.3 KB ID:	138625
    This Floetrol stuff is seriously impressive. I mixed 16 grams of it into the 8oz paint “sample” I got from Home Depot (then foam brushed it on the plane after wet sanding the primer)... I can't hardly see ANY streaks!
    Does that stuff strengthen the foam? I’m a little late in getting into the FW SU-35 and it is EPS foam and extremely fragile.

thanks bud!

You’re Top Gun version looks awesome!

Comment

• Originally posted by C17loadmaster View Post

Does that stuff strengthen the foam? I’m a little late in getting into the FW SU-35 and it is EPS foam and extremely fragile.

thanks bud!

You’re Top Gun version looks awesome!
      Thanks, man! I don't believe the Floetrol has any kind of strengthening qualities. By my understanding, it's more or less just a lubricant for paint. Beacon makes something called "Foam Finish" that strengthens foam. Give that one a go! (I've tried it - stiffens foam and makes more a smoother surface for paint)

Comment

• I’m pleased with how this turned out. REALLY fighting the urge to fly it immediately. Likely tomorrow morning.

Comment

• DO IT!!

Comment

• Doooo it!:)no pressure lolLOL

Comment

• Hi guys. My name is Scott and I have just recently purchased the f14 and flown it a couple of times. I would like to do a custom paint and would like to know what I need to do to be able to do this. I have plenty of painting experience as I had a business for 8 years custom painting RC helicopter canopies. But no foam experience. As you know the plane comes painted with decals. Do I need to remove the decals somehow (ideally) or can I paint right over everything? Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.
              And sorry if this has all been covered in the thread. I only read a few pages before posting.

Comment

• Greetings ACES. I use house latex paint on foam planes, jets and warbirds. During warm months I thin it with water, approx., 50/50 mix adjust as needed by your airbrush if airbrushing. If brushing on, right out of the container is fine. the use of floetrol seems to really help eliminate brush marks.Regarding the F-14 since it's already gray/white, no primer is needed. With fine grit sanding paper scuff the paint and decals to give the new paint some bite. On the decals just cover them with light gray paint so they dont' "bleed" through your new colors. Check out my Iranian Air Force F-14 pictures on RCG. That was airbrushed freehand using all latex paints. Home Depot or Lowes will match colors or custom mix colors in sample size containers for about $4 bucks. hope this helps.

Comment

• Hello All,

I have had 4 unexplained crashes with the F-14. The plane will be flying great, level and strait and the "oh sh-t" happens with no warning. The last crash I was about to land after a 3 min maiden set full flaps for landing then it happened --no control. Before that flying level down the runway after a about 2min about 30 ft high and it suddenly rolled to the right--bang! I love the way these things fly however the unexplained crashes are getting costly.
                  Just wondering if anyone else has had the same issues?

Comment

• duke. You don't mention speed, how fast was your jet moving. Remember this thing weighs around 9 Pounds or more. Get it to slow and it will stop flying. When that happens it may seem like you have no control. Also have you done a range check? Just throwing ideas your way.

Comment

• This has happen at different speeds. Yes to the range check. flying with 9020 , 2 remote receiver.

Comment

• Duke, those random malfunctions sound terrifying. Hope you're able to isolate and resolve the cause.

Also, got to do a little flying this morning. Sorry, I know the video is pretty lame, but hey - it's the Top Gun Tomcat B-)

Comment

• Originally posted by fhhuber View Post
                          I "cheated" and disassembled the struts and adjusted the springs.

With RTF weight on the wheels the springs are now compressed 1/3 of available travel.
                          Clip a little spring off, reassemble, check... repeat.
                          You can't put the cut off part of the spring back but you can insert a small plastic plug to add tension.
                          MATCH the mains' springs either way. If you cut one, cut the other the same.

I haen't checked if these struts can have the slots extended to give more travel range. That can help sometimes but its easy to mess up the struts.

The struts will then do their intended job of softening the landing.

Too stiff and the strut might as well be solid instead of having a spring. Too soft and they'll bottom out even on a really good landing.

Nose-wheel spring will be much softer than the mains. There's less weight on it. Too stiff and you get more chance of the nose bouncing up then the plane does the pogo.
                          Odd I think I'm goona have the opposite problem, has mine with the batteries in it just sat on the ground the mains are almost fully compressed

Comment

• Originally posted by gazza View Post
                            how does everyones sit on the mains, mine are three quarters compressed with it just sat there, very little shock absorbance left in them
                            Mine too

Comment

Mine too
                              I think some Chinese man has put the wrong springs in

Comment

• Gonna have to change the springs worse than useless as they are at the moment

Comment

Odd I think I'm goona have the opposite problem, has mine with the batteries in it just sat on the ground the mains are almost fully compressed
                                  The springs are intended to mostly compress. Otherwise, the gear stance on the ground is all wrong which could cause difficulties with liftoff. They need to extend so much to clear the wing box when they retract if I remember right.

Chris

http://thercgeek.com
                                  http://youtube.com/thercgeek

Comment

• Originally posted by The RC Geek View Post

The springs are intended to mostly compress. Otherwise, the gear stance on the ground is all wrong which could cause difficulties with liftoff. They need to extend so much to clear the wing box when they retract if I remember right.

Chris
                                    I have mine adjusted to just 1/3 of travel compression with 4X 3S 4500 mah (2 packs in series per EDF) when sitting on level pavement.

The only potential issue causing takeoff difficulty by adjusting spring tension would be dropping the nose in relation to the tail. If you bring all 3 up or down the same amount, you didn't change the wing incidence relative to the runway.

I suspect the F-14 could rotate and take off even if the nose strut spring was fully compressed and the main struts fully extended, though it would require a bit more speed than sitting at correct attitude. those big "flying stabs" on the tail have a lot of authority.
                                    (Assumes correct CG... I have 2 oz lead stuck on the tailcones to get CG by the instructions and I think I can safely push it back more.)
                                    FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

• Justin Koenig's seriously sweet F-14 ... I tip my hat to Justin, who flew this yesterday with full armaments of a standard sized running track. Nicely flown Justin!

Comment

• A few more photos of this custom schemed F-14

Comment

• And I guess this little man just could care less that this is an active runway?! :P

Comment

Working...
                                          X