Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The stock wheels have got to go. They’re definitely way too heavy. My first flight yesterday was all stock except I tightened the wheels. My flights today were remarkably improved after I installed the nose and main wheels from my F-4 Phantom. You can reduce the weight by about three ounces just by swapping wheels. The softer material also increases rolling resistance which reduces landing distance. Also when the strut is compressed it rubs against the wheel slightly for braking action! My F-14 doesn’t start rolling until about 20% throttle. Takeoff and landing distance is about 150 ft. The stock power system is great. I’m curious if my A-10 Warthog power system would be an improvement. I’ll post videos soon. Note: The F-4 Phantom main wheels are larger than the F-14 though they still fit in the wheel well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	E5B432BE-D17A-4980-B25D-2E073C1E6A39.jpeg
Views:	862
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	155680Click image for larger version

Name:	EFF7492B-AE9D-41E2-A718-26831FD2A0FB.jpeg
Views:	863
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	155681Click image for larger version

Name:	B1D6147F-1FF7-4E5B-84D6-B4EFC55BF5F3.jpeg
Views:	835
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	155682
    Attached Files

Comment

• I wanted to dirty this kitty up a bit more. I think it turned out pretty nasty. In a good way.

Comment

• Flights 2-4 using the wheels from my F-4 Phantom.

Comment

• Good tip, RuthR720, thanks for sharing!

RCfiddy1, the dirtier the Tomcat, the better.
          Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Rcfiddy1 nothing like a dirty Tomcat. Looks great!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bajora View Post
              Justin Koenig's seriously sweet F-14 ... I tip my hat to Justin, who flew this yesterday with full armaments of a standard sized running track. Nicely flown Justin!

Is it bothering anyone else that the port side navy star is upside down? One of those "once you see it..." things.

VF-84 is the *only* way to go with an F-14 scheme. Beautiful.

Comment

• Hi Cdavis11, welcome to Hobby Squawk! Aside from the insignia's position, I ribbed Bajora for the ventral fins, which are reversed. But yes, VF-84 is gorgeous for a Tomcat, probably the Titular Tomcat livery. I love Bajora's photos that capture the aggression of those Jolly Rogers markings.
                Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• A slight boost in performance can be attained by rerouting the motor leads and closing the engine bleeds (tape the cutouts for the elevator servos and motor leads). The Tomcat comes from the factory with the leads directed up from the motor. You can easily reduce the drag from the leads by directing them inboard. Initially I removed the four bolts on the motor and rotated the motor 90 degrees. I discovered that the holes on the fan unit weren’t aligned which was a poor design. Then I reassembled it as it was originally only bending the leads in order for them to exit the fairing inboard. I used Gorilla packing tape to seal the gaping cutouts for the motor leads and elevator servos. The factory also poorly applied the tape over the elevator servo leads. The edges of the tape were in the airflow causing some additional drag. I replaced that tape and sanded some rough spots on the foam with 600 grit sandpaper. Here’s the flight after making the Tomcat sleeker.

​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​

Comment

• Thanks ruth but we can't see your photos...please download them again to see easily your nice job. Thanks

Comment

• Roger, no photos here at this point. 1312 CST. Thanks! Jerry

Comment

• I filled the motor lead opening with foam tac (pictured). I don’t really like that stuff for much else unless it’s for repairs that are internal. Balsa filler is better for cosmetic repairs. Also, on my 3 motor leads I used aluminum tape to tape and align them together so that they lay flat, creating the least amount of drag possible. Basically leads 2 & 3 are drafting off lead 1. The pic below is RC Geeks F-14. He used hot glue for the motor gap, and packaging tape for the servo opening. In all honesty I can’t confirm an increase in performance being as I initially built the plane that way.

Comment

• I’ll try to upload the photos again.

Comment

• Thanks ruth. It's more clear.

Comment

• Just flew my F-14 after upgrading to the 9 blade fans from the A-10, and what a difference! I can cruise at a lower power settting, and the aircraft definitely feels lighter. Also added a full minute to my flight timer, landing at about 4 min of mixed throttle flying on Admiral pro 4000s. Will definitely be taking the Tomcat out to fly more often now!

Comment

• I’ve been looking at the F-14 ARF+ and I think I’ll got with the A-10 engine combination like you did. Did you have to do any mods to the airframe or was it a drop in replacement.

Comment

• Originally posted by dkalwishky View Post
                                  I’ve been looking at the F-14 ARF+ and I think I’ll got with the A-10 engine combination like you did. Did you have to do any mods to the airframe or was it a drop in replacement.
                                  Drop in replacement for the fans/ESC. I did have to remove some foam aft of the battery compartment though. With the lighter fans, batteries have to be farther back.

Comment

• I recently did the same to my F-14, and the difference is noticeable! Drop in replacement, although I did have to considerably shorten the wires to the ESCs from the battery plugs. Good thing there was I needed them just a tad longer than the stock cables, so that worked in my favor.
                                    Pat

Comment

• So for those of us who have not yet add the F-14 to our hangers......

Buy the ARF and add the power from the A-10.....
                                      Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

• Or buy the PNP (since it is only $50 more than the ARF+ right now due to the sale) and the A-10 power system, then sell the stock power system. At retail, the stock power system is $255. You should easily get $150 back from that.
                                        Pat

Comment

• I was rummaging around my F-14 pics today. This was from February of 2017. One of the best shots of any of my jets to date.
                                          Pat

Comment

Working...
                                          X