Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agreed, the aluminum tape makes a big difference!
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Thanks. I do. I saw something in this thread about a video showing how to do the aluminum tape but I cant find that. Do you have a link to youtube video?

Comment

• Need help or suggestion, Just finishing up the build and checking this over. I found the elevators have a good amount of slop even when powered. Are yousr rock solid or have play? Did you fly it with the play? did you change out the servos and if so with what?

Comment

• Hi Bmccormick, welcome to Hobby Squawk! I led the development team for our Freewing 80mm F-14 Tomcat and I can tel you that the slop is normal. I've been flying that model for years now, ever since the very first prototype They all have about an inch or so of slop even when powered. All of our Tomcats delivered worldwide since 2015 are like that, and it doesn't affect the "ride" of the model. I can think of one guy who swapped out to other servos, out of thousands. I always encourage pilots to fly the PNPs stock first, since you're completely covered by the factory warranty. Evaluate it first, and make any tweaks as you desire later.

Good luck with your maiden!
          Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• I tend to be paranoid about slop in control systems

I also had an OEM servo doing strange stuff, that turned out to be a poor connection at the RX.

Its expensive to significantly upgrade the servos in the F-14.
            I got a set of Hitech 5085MG digital servos to put in.
            there are mounting tab "braces" in the Hitec servos that have to be shaved ff to get them installed. Then they fit the OEM servo mounts.
            While the Hitech servos have less slop in the gears and higher speed (and more power) they have insignificant effect on flight and virtually no effect on slop in the horizontal, since the slop seems to be in the pushrod links.

A "flying stab" that pivots on the right line wants to go to neutral. The horizontal stabs on the Freewing F-14 have the right pivot line.

Maybe some better ball links on both ends of the pushrods would reduce slop. And I'll probably do that later.
            FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

• Originally posted by Bmccormick View Post
              Need help or suggestion, Just finishing up the build and checking this over. I found the elevators have a good amount of slop even when powered. Are yousr rock solid or have play? Did you fly it with the play? did you change out the servos and if so with what?
              BMc, :) Welcome to Hobby Squawk. Best, LB
              I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
              ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

BMc, :) Welcome to Hobby Squawk. Best, LB
                Glad you are here!! Welcome aboard!!! :Cool: Best of luck with your F-14! Jerry

Comment

• Thanks guys, I will give it a go as soon as I get my sat receiver and get it balanced.

Comment

• Requesting Assistance?

Anyone know how to set up the free wing F14 using a DX8. having trouble trying to figure out how to turn off the ALEs in the swept wing configuration.

Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by jdidio1 View Post
                      Requesting Assistance?

Anyone know how to set up the free wing F14 using a DX8. having trouble trying to figure out how to turn off the ALEs in the swept wing configuration.

Thanks
                      Check out this video on the setup and programing of the F-14. It might have the answers your looking for.

Comment

• Guys
                        Selling my Tomcat setup NIB, Including A-10 Power system.

Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

• Originally posted by jdidio1 View Post
                          Requesting Assistance?

Thanks
                          Flight modes.

Link the wing sweep to flight modes along with the flaps being locked to up position as soon as you flip the sweep switch.

I posted the programming for doing this in DX-18 earlier. It will be virtually the same for DX-8.

Can be done with or without the multifunction board between the RX and servos.

I only use the multifunction board for gear sequencing and lights.

I think I also posted my full programming of the F-14 on Motion's site in the F-14 reviews.

Comment

• Originally posted by e4dragongunner View Post
                            Guys
                            Selling my Tomcat setup NIB, Including A-10 Power system.

You kind sir have just sold an airplane! Have been bummed since I crashed mine a few months ago and wanted to get another with the A-10 power system again. Loved it on that setup.
                            Pat

Comment

• Nice score Pat!
                              My YouTube RC videos:
                              https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Yup Pat got it,,,,,
                                I am going want pictures of it completed :-)
                                Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

• Don't worry, there will be plenty!
                                  Pat

Comment

• Guys, for those of you using flaps, can you please tell me what elevator mixing you are using when flaps deployed? Also the degrees of flap for both take-off and landing, plus is it worth mixing full span flaps. Appreciate your help!

Comment

• Using flaps the way I do it, the radio deals with the elevator mix by trim associated with "flight Mode"

The trim doesn't change significantly when sweeping the wings, so flight modes that do not have flaps are all the same. Flipping the switch to put flaps dwn part way is a different rim and full flap is a 3rd trim.
                                      Test flight, I used common rims and I held elevator for the landing with flaps. At this point the airplane is trimmed enough to go to trim by flight mode.

Take it high, slow down, Part flaps, trim it. Slow it more, Full flaps, trim it.

No guess about mix percentage.

I use appx 20 deg for partial flaps. Appx 40 deg for full flaps.

I don't use flaps for takeoff.

While having the ailerons act with the flaps is more true to scale, its potentially inviting a tip-stall, so I do not have them going down with the flaps

Comment

• Well after about six months of work on this baby I am finally ready to show her off. Purchased PNP but stripped all electronics out and did a complete custom Jolly Rogers paint and livery. Added RC Geeks exhaust nozzles, external fuel tanks and center burner lighting system and she is ready for maiden.

Comment

• Nice! Best to you on your maiden! Jerry

Comment

Working...
                                          X