Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Come on Income Tax Refund. :D

Comment

Three more flights on the F-14 this week. It is becoming a regular alongside my Freewing F-86! Took me a while to get the throws/expo dialed in, but it flies great now. Last week, the field had a muddy patch on the runway, that the plane strayed into on landing. I believe that the Tomcat is now officially cleared for roughy field ops...
      Attached Files

Comment

I would say so, DeltaDart!
        Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

HAAAAAA.........that's a hell of a pic Delta!! Now that the furrows are plowed all ya need to do is plant some corn.:D
          Warbird Charlie
          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

I captured one of Xplaneguy's flights this past weekend in his F-14. This is the second flight I had ever filmed with my new Sony A6000 so I did lose it a couple times but overall you'll get the picture. This is a great demonstration of the F-14's performance and handling with the stock setup and stock recommended 6s 4000mAh batteries. 4 minute flight, not including taxi out and back and reserve. Excellent flying, Tony! Always fun to try and capture your antics in the sky! Inverted Pass For Life.

Xplaneguy shows off his flying skills with his Freewing twin 80mm F-14D Tomcat at Apollo Field. Stock electronics, stock recommended batteries, CG/setup/thro...

Comment

Great filming Alpha and thanks! Just one correction....the Tomcat "Hannibal" in the video belongs to Evelyn. :)

Comment

Ah you're right, it's Evelyn's Hannibal, not Tony's. I don't want to incur her wrath!

Comment

You're safe! I'm the one who's flying it, so.....pray for me! :rolleyes:

Comment

Action shots of a Freewing F16 chasing me down in a Freewing F14

Comment

That's a great shot! Mobius camera?

Comment

that is a great shot love it. Know I just have to get that F-14 soon

Comment

Hi guys,

Finally I had the nerves to land the F14 with the wings swept, but I almost forgot to deploy the LG lol.

Doug

Comment

For those pilots who are wearing tires out, here is the fix for those who do not want to buy the tire and ball bearing hub as a unit. The Freewing F-16 wheel has the same tire as the F-14 but without the ball bearing hub. Cut the F-16 hub off with curved scissors. The tire can be easily removed and installed on the F-14 hub with a little contact cement.

Comment

Finally got mine off the ground after assorted delays.

Flies great and needed zero trim. I did find that I wanted significant expo for elevator and aileron (taileron) but I needed every bit of the available throw.

First I did several taxi runs with increasing speeds to verify it was tracking well and didn't want to do something strange just prior to liftoff.
                              The tiny bit of elevator I applied to try to lift off pitched the plane up much more than intended. I was having to just barely caress the stick to fly it. I just turned around and brought it back in.

Landing approach was easy using appx 30 deg flap and 5 deg up on the ailerons. It was so stable coming in like that, I doubt I'll change those settings.

40% expo on aileron and 30% on elevator and its second flight was much better.

I'm obviously still getting a feel for how it flies, but it seems to me like it should have higher performance on the available power. I'm going to alter the cheater holes to improve ram air going to the fans. I don't think I was gaining anything by having throttle above 75%

I'm using China Hobby Line 4500 mah 3S, 35C packs, 2 packs in series per fan. I'm reading just under 1600 watts per fan on my wattmeter.

I also plan to eliminate the UBEC and go to a separate LiFe for the RX.
                              FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Flew the Tomcat yesterday for the first time with the full span flaps setup. Really helps the airplane slow down for a nice soft landing. Managed to get a few pictures from the flight as well.

Comment

Originally posted by fhhuber View Post
                                  Finally got mine off the ground after assorted delays.

Flies great and needed zero trim. I did find that I wanted significant expo for elevator and aileron (taileron) but I needed every bit of the available throw.

First I did several taxi runs with increasing speeds to verify it was tracking well and didn't want to do something strange just prior to liftoff.
                                  The tiny bit of elevator I applied to try to lift off pitched the plane up much more than intended. I was having to just barely caress the stick to fly it. I just turned around and brought it back in.

Landing approach was easy using appx 30 deg flap and 5 deg up on the ailerons. It was so stable coming in like that, I doubt I'll change those settings.

40% expo on aileron and 30% on elevator and its second flight was much better.

I'm obviously still getting a feel for how it flies, but it seems to me like it should have higher performance on the available power. I'm going to alter the cheater holes to improve ram air going to the fans. I don't think I was gaining anything by having throttle above 75%

I'm using China Hobby Line 4500 mah 3S, 35C packs, 2 packs in series per fan. I'm reading just under 1600 watts per fan on my wattmeter.

I also plan to eliminate the UBEC and go to a separate LiFe for the RX.
                                  Hi, thanks for detailed instructions how to to program to keep ailerons off with wings swept. this mourning i had a maiden flight. did not try wing swept mode yet. in the air ailerons /tailerons were sensitive a bit but ok. on the landing when speed decreased i could not keep it horizontal and ended up landing upside down.
                                  i have dx18 so can you take a picture of your dual rates/expo screen , because i am not strong in those things.
                                  i have Su -35 and reached the limits of this plane so want to try something new.

Comment

Xplaneguy putting Hannibal through his paces today at Apollo..

Comment

Alpha, Great job capturing the Tomcat on a beautiful day....sweet photo!

Comment

Here are some pics that our friend beanie took of corsair nut chasing my F-5 with his Tomcat back in October.

Pat

Comment

That's almost a perfect TOP GUN re-creation there. Great pictures!

Comment

Working...
                                          X